Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

Wacky Raceland #1-6 - ho boy.  I am not saying Wacky Raceland is a terrible comic devoid of creative merit and plagued by storytelling problems in both the writing and the art, but I will say that it is now no longer permissible to offer any criticism whatsoever of Babe Race 2000 until after you have read Wacky Raceland.
This is a mess of a comic, and not in an entertaining way.  Whatever your opinion of The Flintstones, you always knew what was going on and you could safely say it was trying, but Wacky Raceland not so much.

JLC

Read the synopsis. Sounds terrible

Professor Bear

It's a comic book version of Death Race - but with the production standards of a major American publisher with an amazing talent pool to draw upon.  Should have been a no-brainer.

Colin YNWA

Let it never be said I live in the same world as Professor Bear. While Flintstones was utter, pure fried genius so its unfair to expect any comic to match it Wacky Raceland could well be damaged twisted genius. It held my attention enough beginning to end to warrent a re-read at some point. That may well expose it as pap disguised as wonky, cockeyed wonder, but I rather suspect there might be gold in them there hills. I remain undecided but looking forward to panning.

Professor Bear

I respect your right to be wrong, Colin.

Fungus

Quote from: Professor Bear on 05 August, 2017, 03:11:58 PM
Wacky Raceland #1-6 - ho boy.
This is a mess of a comic, and not in an entertaining way.

At what issue did you realise all this?

Professor Bear

It's apparent the book is a mess from the first issue, though the sexism and transphobia start to make their mark around issues 2/3, while the rushed wrap-up contradicts much of what the previous issues established, even though there is a massively handy deus ex right there in the final story that could have been used to suggest the characters were unreliable narrators.

Smith

Quote from: The Adventurer on 04 August, 2017, 04:19:13 PM
Everything I stated was an opinion based on what I've read. I never claimed it to be universal fact. What are you talking about?
I dont think you are competent to judge a title,if you only read the first few issue.Its been a lot of issues since then.
We would all like to see how Mirage run ends,but there hasnt been a new issue in some 5 or so years,and I wouldnt hold my breath.
Meanwhile,IDW really managed to combine the best of all worlds.An actually dangerous Krang,Mutanimals,Hun,Splinter leading the Foot clan,Pantheon,there is much awesome stuff that skipping it is a downright sin. :)

Smith

Man-Thing.I know the phrase has been worn out,nut Steve Gerber truly was a man ahead of his time.

Smith

I caught up with GI Joe ARAH.Yey me. :)
Cyborg ninjas,alien eyeballs,ninjas,more ninjas,giant robots,did I mention ninjas?

JLC

The Power by Naomi Alderman

Smith

Back to Transformers,Target 2006 and Prey were awesome.

Colin YNWA

Dear 2000ad fans,

I write this letter to you as I have a confession to make as I can't live in silence any longer. Please hear me out and I hope you can find forgiveness in your hearts. You see...look there's no easy way to say this so I'll just come out with it...

I don't enjoy Love and Rockets.

Look please, please let me explain. I bought a load of these of our own Bolt01 a while ago and I was chuffed when they got to the top of my ridiculous pile. They should be right up my street. The art is quite beautiful, genuninely some of the best in comics. The characters are fantastic, the stories should be engaging... but for whatever crazy reason its just not gelling with me... and I can't work out why. Art is indeed subjective and as such I probably shouldn't over think this. I should just accept we don't click and move on.

But I can't - WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH ME? What kind of beast am I? This is great comics right? I love great comics. So why the hoopin' heck am I struggling soooo much with this classic?

Fear not I'm not simply giving up. I've struggled through to issue 12 and I'm taking a break. Giving both of us a little time and space to see it absense will indeed make my heart grow fonder. I bloody want to like this comic.

Yours with remorse and regreat,

Colin

TordelBack

So I'd say you're just put the back of Mechanics, and Palomar hasn't really started yet? The adolescent stylings of the former don't move me the way they once did, but that's ok because Death of Speedy is just around the corner, and  no one can resist... That?

Bolt-01

Colin- stick with it.

I was buying these as they came out- so bi-monthly and one of the things I really appreciated with this comic was the 'allowing stuff to settle in' effect. Especially with 'Beto.

I'm currently reading the Princess Bride for the first time. It is a work of genius and it is to my eternal shame that I'd not enjoyed this before. The film is a total favourite for me (and to see it in a cinema packed with 8-10 year olds last year was an experience I'll not forget) but I've never read the book till now.

If anyone out there has made a similar mistake- please, fix it.