Main Menu

Preacher (TV Series)...

Started by Goaty, 18 November, 2013, 03:04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Enigmatic Dr X

Lock up your spoons!

Tiplodocus

Just got t the end of Season 2.

I should have bailed earlier. Despite a couple of cracking episodes it is tedious stuff with gross misrepresentations of the key characters.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

radiator

I had high hopes as I like the cast and I thought the pilot was really promising, but it's just not very good, is it? I watched almost to the end of season 1, but the show just felt turgid and really quite boring, and it really struggled to find a consistent tone.

Surprised it's been renewed for a third season, tbh.

Mattofthespurs

The second season is much, much stronger and starts to go somewhere where I thought the first season spent too long introducing characters at the expense of the story.

If you watch the first 2 episodes of the second season and still don't like it then yes, it's not for you.

DrRocka

The second season started with a couple of crackers and had an absolutely fantastic one with Herr Starr, then proceeded to blow it by having a run right til the end that was simply dull. How the hell d'you make a tv show based on PREACHER that's DULL?

That said, my mates who've never read the comic seem to all love it, so maybe it's just those of us that love the comic feel a bit cheated? I know I'd have enjoyed the show more if they hadn't made Jesse into an insufferable prick. And actually included Tulip in it somewhere.
Never ever bloody anything ever

Theblazeuk

I think you'll find Jessie was always an insufferable prick (but Tordel's critique of Preacher is much better than anything I could write). Preacher has its moments but always slows right down as it starts to get sufficiently gonzo.

Tiplodocus

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 09 March, 2018, 07:42:49 AM
The second season is much, much stronger and starts to go somewhere where I thought the first season spent too long introducing characters at the expense of the story.

If you watch the first 2 episodes of the second season and still don't like it then yes, it's not for you.

I really liked the opening of Season 2. In fact I can probably be found singing it's praises on the box set addiction thread. But it just ground to a halt and became a slog to get through.

And I finished Smallville!

The Monarch

i like the tv show version of herr starr but err thats about it

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 09 March, 2018, 09:55:08 AM
I think you'll find Jessie was always an insufferable prick

What he said. In fact I prefer the TV version; at least the writers don't try to talk him up as if the sun shines out of his macho Texan arse.
But in any case, I gave up on the series months ago. It was going nowhere.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Rara Avis

I'm going to have to watch all this again at some point. I can't even remember what happened in the season finale ... maybe I didn't watch it ...

Re: Cassidy's accent, ok so I am actually Irish and thought Joe Gilgun was an Irish actor. It sounds (to me) like his one of his parents is from Mayo and the other one is from Dublin.

Toni Scandella

I was of the opinion the show was a bit flat, but I am finally watching season 3, after s2 was such a mess, and, man. Its suddenly great.

Richard

I gave up on series two and couldn't finish it. It started well, and the Vegas episode was brilliant, and I like Herr Starr, and the bit when the Saint of Killers massacres all the cops. And Cassidy is exactly the way he should be. But even all that couldn't salvage it. They just got stuck in a rut, hanging out in New Orleans not doing anything.

I think the problem is that the writers think they can do a better job than Garth Ennis did on writing the comic. Instead of just following the plot of the comic, they just went off and did their own thing, which would be okay if they were as talented as the people who write Better Call Saul or something, but they're not. And they have loosely based the first two series in what I consider to be the two least interesting stories from the comic. Series 1 was based on the Quincannon meat factory episodes, and series 2 is based on the New Orleans episodes, but without the gang of vampire wannabes. Series 1 is also all about Jesse when he was still a preacher (for no better reason than Preacher is the name of the series apparently), and who wants to see that?

It's just such a wasted opportunity. It could have been fantastic.

Proudhuff

I never read the comic, so have enjoyed the series, all three, nicely different to the majority of guff out there on Prime/Netflix.
DDT did a job on me

Tiplodocus

Just for reference... what other TV shows have you found not boring. Because, like, 70% of this one seems to be dull. And not just compared to the comic.

radiator