Main Menu

DUNE rights acquired by Legendary Films.

Started by IAMTHESYSTEM, 22 November, 2016, 02:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IAMTHESYSTEM

"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

von Boom

Sounds good in theory, but Brian Herbert is still listed as an executive producer, so take that as you will...

ZenArcade

It's a ni, no if Brian Herbert is within 10 parsecs of it.  He has thrashed Frank Herbert legacy. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

JOE SOAP

Quote from: von Boom on 22 November, 2016, 04:25:03 PM
Sounds good in theory, but Brian Herbert is still listed as an executive producer, so take that as you will...

If he's not putting up the money for the film it's likely a nominal title that doesn't carry too much weight.

Professor Bear

If it's half as good as their Power Rangers reboot looks, it'll be fried gold.

Zarjazzer

The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

IAMTHESYSTEM

"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

von Boom

I saw that. Seems like overkill for Rabban who is a tertiary character at best. Unless they are planning to expand the character for some pointless reason.

Rusty

Well, Ridley Scott was executive producer for BR2049, and he didn't have much, if any, influence on that, so I don't think it matters. So far the right people are in the right places.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Rusty on 08 January, 2019, 06:26:59 PM
Well, Ridley Scott was executive producer for BR2049, and he didn't have much, if any, influence on that...

Apart from the directing, he doesn't seem to see it that way.

What did you make of the way Blade Runner 2049 was received?

[Whispers] I have to be careful what I say. I have to be careful what I say. It was fucking way too long. Fuck me! And most of that script's mine.

Really?

Yes!

The story, or the script?

I sit with writers for an inordinate amount of time and I will not take credit, because it means I've got to sit there with a tape recorder while we talk. I can't do that to a good writer. But I have to, because to prove I'm part of the actual process, I have to then have an endless amount [of proof], and I can't be bothered.

[Editor's note: Spoilers for Blade Runner 2049 follow in the next paragraph.]

But the big idea comes from Blade Runner. Tyrell is a trillionaire, maybe 5 to 10 percent of his business is AI. Like God, he has created perfect beings that, for all intents and purposes, there is no telling the difference from humans. Then he says, "You know what? I'm going to create an AI. I'll have a male and female, they will not know that they're both AIs, I'll have them meet each other, they will fall in love, they will consummate, and they will have a child." That's the first film. The second film is, what happens to the baby? You've got to have the baby, you can't have the mother, so the mother has to inexplicably die four months after she breastfeeds. The bones are found in the box at the foot of the tree — that's all me. And the digital girlfriend is me. I wanted an evolution from Pris, who is inordinately sexy in the original, right?

I would say iconically so.

I shouldn't talk. I'm being a bitch.

https://www.vulture.com/2017/12/ridley-scott-all-the-money-in-the-world-reshoots.html

Rusty

Ridley claimed a lot of stuff was his in that film. He even tried to influence how it was being directed, but Villeneuve told him to do one (obviously in a more polite manner, but the hint was the same).

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Rusty on 08 January, 2019, 07:27:59 PM
Ridley claimed a lot of stuff was his in that film. He even tried to influence how it was being directed, but Villeneuve told him to do one (obviously in a more polite manner, but the hint was the same).

I'm sure some of it is his (like the farm sequence being a leftover from the first film) but he was obviously feeling unloved/regretful after Convenant critically bombed and BR2049 was getting so much praise – or he'd just had a few sherries before the interview – either way the central premise of the film, the child, was Hampton Fancher's

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Rusty

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 08 January, 2019, 07:40:33 PM
Quote from: Rusty on 08 January, 2019, 07:27:59 PM

I'm sure some of it is his (like the farm sequence being a leftover from the first film) but he was obviously feeling unloved/regretful after Convenant critically bombed and BR2049 was getting so much praise – or he'd just had a few sherries before the interview – either way the central premise of the film, the child, was Hampton Fancher's
Yeah, no doubt he bounced ideas around and mentioned unicorns a few times, and then dropped the mother of all ideas he wanted *cough* Deckard being a replicant *cough* and was promptly shut down and given a latte or something to distract him from rambling. Then they told him they'd get back to him on his ideas and left it at that.

After reading this, that's probably how it went. Thankfully.

QuoteOh, it was always my thesis theory. It was one or two people who were relevant were... I can't remember if Hampton agreed with me or not. But I remember someone had said, "Well, isn't it corny?" I said, "Listen, I'll be the best f#@king judge of that. I'm the director, okay?" So, and that, you learn -- you know, by then I'm 44, so I'm no f#@king chicken. I'm a very experienced director from commercials and The Duellists and Alien. So, I'm able to, you know, answer that with confidence at the time, and say, "You know, back off, it's what it's gonna be." Harrison, he was never -- I don't remember, actually. I think Harrison was going, "Uh, I don't know about that." I said, "But you have to be, because Gaff, who leaves a trail of origami everywhere, will leave you a little piece of origami at the end of the movie to say, 'I've been here, I left her alive, and I can't resist letting you know what's in your most private thoughts when you get drunk is a f#@king unicorn!'" Right? So, I love Beavis and Butthead, so what should follow that is "Duh." So now it will be revealed [in the sequel], one way or the other.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Rusty on 08 January, 2019, 11:59:07 PM
...I can't resist letting you know what's in your most private thoughts when you get drunk is a f#@king unicorn!'" Right? So, I love Beavis and Butthead, so what should follow that is "Duh." So now it will be revealed [in the sequel], one way or the other.

That interview will always be the best.