Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

repoman

I struggled with Wonder Woman.  For me it was an hour too long and had plenty of chances to just wrap it up earlier.

Watched a couple of films already this morning.

The Terminator.  The original and still the best.  Holds up really well.  Even if hi def does it few favours.

Bad Taste.  Peter Jackson's first film.  Daft, gory and cheap but also still funny and effective.

von Boom

The Predator. Utter, utter shite.

repoman

Quote from: von Boom on 02 August, 2020, 05:55:28 PM
The Predator. Utter, utter shite.

Isn't it just?

I saw it in the cinema and the projection (or whatever they do now) was a tiny bit blurry but I got a good sense that the film was trash.

Watched it again earlier this year and yeah it's awful.  The CGi is particularly bad.

Hard to tell if it's worse than Predators.  That film really was bad and had a complete non-ending, making it a complete waste of time, but it did have Walton Goggins and that's something.

Controversially, Predator 2 is my favourite.  I absolutely love Predator, but I like the sequel more.

von Boom

Quote from: repoman on 02 August, 2020, 07:55:24 PM
Isn't it just?

I saw it in the cinema and the projection (or whatever they do now) was a tiny bit blurry but I got a good sense that the film was trash.

Watched it again earlier this year and yeah it's awful.  The CGi is particularly bad.

Hard to tell if it's worse than Predators.  That film really was bad and had a complete non-ending, making it a complete waste of time, but it did have Walton Goggins and that's something.

Controversially, Predator 2 is my favourite.  I absolutely love Predator, but I like the sequel more.
For a long time I didn't rate Predator 2 highly, but I rewatched recently and it's actually a very good film as sequels go. I think my original estimation was due to my disappointment that Arnold wasn't in it at the time. While I don't prefer it to Predator I do think it's something worth watching again when the mood strikes.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: repoman on 02 August, 2020, 07:55:24 PMControversially, Predator 2 is my favourite.  I absolutely love Predator, but I like the sequel more.

As I've noted before, Predator 2 has a plot and a sub-plot, which is two whole plots more than the first one. I like it a lot.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Radbacker

Yeah went to the cinema for the first time in ages to watch something new,  Unhinged in which Russell Crow plays himself loosing his shit and road raging a poor lady.  Quite enjoyed it, some edge of the seat stuff in there and nasty violence, has a bit to say about our increasingly violent and disconnected world and fin r a change it doesn't drag on too long (a lean 90 minutes).  I don't get scared or squeamish watching horror movies but this did a very good job unnerving me as it seems all too possible and n today's world, I definitely will think before I beep my horn next time I'm cut off in traffic 😊 I think a solid B+ of a movie but I might have given it a bit more than it was worth as I was so happy getting back to the cinema.

CU Radbacker

pictsy

Deadtectives

This was surprisingly enjoyable.  A bunch of TV ghost hunters are off to Mexico to try and save their show from cancellation.  There are lessons to be learned, jokes to be had and ghosts to run away from.  The acting had the potential to get shrill and annoying, but never actually did (which was a blessed relief).  Overall, it was pretty good.  I'd totally recommend it.

Also, Predator is awesome and Predator 2 is great.  Predators is weak and The Predator is garbage that made me angry at how bad it was.

Keef Monkey

Big fan of Predator 2, even as a kid I wasn't disappointed, remember me and my friends thinking it was cool as hell that it was in the city so had a different vibe. Saying that, I thought The Predator was perfectly fun and have enjoyed it both times I've watched. The only Predator movies I've really actively disliked are the AvP movies but even then they didn't particularly bother me, I just kind of shrugged and kept eating my popcorn.

We watched some stuff over the weekend, best of which was The Vast of Night, a really neat sci-fi movie on Amazon. As far as I'm aware it's the director's first movie and made on a really low budget, but it's got flair for days, some brilliant stylistic choices and some really impressive sequences. Bags of atmosphere, really enjoyed it.

How To Build A Girl was pretty decent, I thought some of the comedy felt a bit awkward in places but very funny in others and quite often the writing really shone through for some very touching moments.

And got Star Trek: Nemesis watched, which I understand people really didn't like on release. If I did see it at the time then I must have blanked it out because it was one of only a couple on this rewatch that I found myself totally unsure about whether I'd ever seen it before. I enjoyed it though, Hardy makes a great villain and while it's not up there with my favourites it's not in the lower leagues either. Worth it for a couple of really great and very touching moments, mostly involving [spoiler]Data[/spoiler].

pictsy

One problem I have with Nemesis is that they had to get one last space rape of Troy in there.  There are many other problems with the film.  I remember enjoying it for the most part as a dumb space opera action film.  Tom Hardy is always value for money and Ron Perlman can be good as well.  I don't think I'd go out of my way to rewatch it, though.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: pictsy on 03 August, 2020, 10:41:55 AM
One problem I have with Nemesis is that they had to get one last space rape of Troy in there.  There are many other problems with the film.  I remember enjoying it for the most part as a dumb space opera action film.  Tom Hardy is always value for money and Ron Perlman can be good as well.  I don't think I'd go out of my way to rewatch it, though.

Yeah that scene is pretty iffy, especially because when she tells the rest of the crew Picard's response is something along the lines of 'well if you don't mind the probability of being psychically raped again I'd appreciate if you got back to work'. Starfleet sensitivity training obviously not what it should be.

TordelBack

The main problem with Nemesis is that it's shite. The Troy bit is the poop-flavoured icing on the crapcake, but it fits in well with the overall theme of having everything that happens to the characters be something that has happened to them before, often many times. For some reason the only good bits ended up as deleted scenes; I presume the 'Keep it'/'Burn it' files were swapped in a transporter accident.

Tiplodocus

Well I managed to enjoy Nemesis and The Predator. But yeah both far from perfect.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

von Boom

Space Cowboys. Four ageing pilots who never got their shot at being astronauts are the only one that can fix an obsolete Russian/Soviet satellite. A very good film with a terrific cast and great story. It's one of my favourite NASA/space films.

Tiplodocus

Quote from: TordelBack on 03 August, 2020, 08:14:41 PM
The main problem with Nemesis is that it's shite. The Troy bit is the poop-flavoured icing on the crapcake, but it fits in well with the overall theme of having everything that happens to the characters be something that has happened to them before, often many times. For some reason the only good bits ended up as deleted scenes; I presume the 'Keep it'/'Burn it' files were swapped in a transporter accident.

Did you mean:

"Star Trek: Nemesis? More like Star Trek: Nemeshite!"
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

repoman

Mom and Dad - a decent horror/thriller/comedy which is essentially the reverse of Children of the Corn in that the adults are the ones that go a bit mental.  Nic Cage at 100% Nic Cage, so it is completely mental but it was a lot of fun and a film I'll be watching again in a few years.