Main Menu

Thrillpowered Thursday

Started by Grant Goggans, 05 April, 2007, 08:12:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grant Goggans

Did you know that I've started doing some reviews of the newer collections from Rebellion in the pages of Thrillpowered Thursday?  You didn't?  Well, that must be because you're not reading!  Recent entries have hit on the return of Strontium Dog and Prog 2000, along with thoughts on the new ABC Warriors and Ace Trucking collections... so bookmark me and tell all your friends and fiends!

The Dog is Back!

Paul faplad Finch

I've just spent the last several hours reading reading every Thrillpowered Thursday entry since Grant started it, along with several other random entries that caught my eye in his LiveJournal archive.  I don't normally do blogs cos I've never really been entirely sure what a blog actually is if I'm honest but this has been talked up quite a lot here so I decided to give it a go.

Needless to say, I was hooked straight away and it's now firmly in my favourites list. Good stuff all round, even if we disagree on that most fundamental question.  Pat Mills  - Hero Or Hack?  Still, I can get over that for the wealth of good stuff to be had. I realise I'm probably preaching to the converted here but if there is anyone on this site not reading this you owe it to yourselves to give it a look.

Oh, and  I never realised how much of a headache our overseas cousins can sometimes have getting hold of their dose of thrillpower. Grant, and anyone else in the same boat, you have my sympathy.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

radiator

I've never understood why so many people hate A Life Less Ordinary, I love that film.

"I'm.....Tod.....Johnson....."

//http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKzu1qAwWc4

Colin YNWA

Quote from: "radiator"I've never understood why so many people hate A Life Less Ordinary, I love that film.

"I'm.....Tod.....Johnson....."

//http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKzu1qAwWc4

Not read the strip yet but I think its a really fun movie never understood the hate either?

Grant Goggans

Well, I've never understood why Diamond just cannot ship stuff in a timely manner, either, but we're talking about a company that recently shipped the third issue of a Wolverine miniseries to a nearby shop before the second, so you can imagine how, if they can't manage something as big as Wolverine without screwing up, 2000 AD must completely baffle them.  Anyhow, I appreciate the kind words, faplad!

Grant Goggans

Just wanted to let everybody know that Thrillpowered Thursday is back from its first vacation of the year with a few words about Banzai Battalion and the bloody end of Nikolai Dante's Tsar Wars.  Bookmark it and tell all yer friends!

Pests!!

Next week, I'll get back on the stick with some more graphic novel reviews.

The Monarch

Nice not spoiling the fact that one of the dead you mentioned isn't actually dead....

incidently is the newest dante gn out yet I can't seem to find it anywhere?!?

TordelBack

Just read the epic account of the Hipster Wedding - great writing, Mr. Goggans, and many congratulations!

Grant Goggans

"The Beast of Rudinshtein" is out.  This book reprints the story which confirms that one of the dead I mention is not actually dead.   :D

I remember when "The Romanov Empire" was first published and everybody was saying how Viktor couldn't be killed by just throwing him off a building... he'd turn into a bird, right?  Then the next year, Simon Fraser drew an episode which memorably showed his body all mangled and broken in a bird-shaped dent in the snow.

I reread the episode last night where Dmitri's crest slowly vanishes from his shoulder while he said goodbye to Arkady.  Dante's been one of the biggest pleasures in this reread, just for the "if we knew then what we know now" factor!

Grant Goggans

Thanks so much, Tordleback!  I enjoyed writing it.  And, you know, getting married and stuff, that too.