Main Menu

droids you've forgotten

Started by sheridan, 04 September, 2018, 08:51:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

So the 2000AD Twitterbot posted a Martin Emond cover that I'd completely forgotten about - I knew his work through Accident Man and White Trash (though a quick look now tells me he did more White Trash than I knew of, and a few Lobo stories that I'll have to investigate).

It got me thinking - what other script and art droids have I completely forgotten did work for the House of Tharg?  Obvious starting points - Neil Gaiman for his couple of Future Shocks and that text story from an annual, and the Dave McKean contents page from a Sci-Fi special.

JayzusB.Christ

Professional loudmouth Bryson-alike John Byrne did a Dredd once, as far as I remember.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

sheridan

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 04 September, 2018, 09:24:08 PM
Professional loudmouth Bryson-alike John Byrne did a Dredd once, as far as I remember.

Sci-Fi Special 1983 I believe, Block-Out - the MC-1 version of chessboxing (20 years before chessboxing existed, and 9 years before it appeared in Enki Bilal's comic).

rogue69

Mark Buckingham drew Tyranny Rex "Touched by the Hand of Brendan" in 2000AD Sci-Fi Special 1991 "Deus ex Machina Book I" (2000AD 852-855) & a Future Shock "Accessory" (2000AD #1240)

sheridan

Quote from: rogue69 on 04 September, 2018, 09:38:21 PM
Mark Buckingham drew Tyranny Rex "Touched by the Hand of Brendan" in 2000AD Sci-Fi Special 1991 "Deus ex Machina Book I" (2000AD 852-855) & a Future Shock "Accessory" (2000AD #1240)

I remembered the Tyranny story - completely forgotten about the Future Shock though, and that must have been half a decade or more after his Marvelman  Miracleman work.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: sheridan on 04 September, 2018, 09:41:33 PM
Quote from: rogue69 on 04 September, 2018, 09:38:21 PM

I remembered the Tyranny story - completely forgotten about the Future Shock though, and that must have been half a decade or more after his Marvelman  Miracleman work.

How could anyone forget Mark Buckingham's work on Tyranny Rex, some of by favourite ever 2000ad work, just glorious. Only just re-read it and its a delight.

Frank

If anyone remembers Hellboy inheritor Duncan Fegredo once tapped Tharg for lube, it's probably for the couple of very good painted covers* he did for the baby Megazine. Probably less so for the actual strips he did for Tharg, The Runner (1240) and The Bad Juve (1227)**

If we're just talking artists who virtually nobody remembers, Nik Williams would be worth a punt in a 2000ad-themed round of Pointless. Paul Peart was great, drew Slaughterbowl (the greatest strip of the nineties), could probably walk past the 2000ad signing table unmolested.

I really loved Paul Hardy as a kid, just 2 strips! Graham Stoddart and Jack Couvella did that Mark Millar story where a bodyguard called Judge Costner saves Volt from a sniper's bullet - even Barney doesn't remember them!

* And some not very good covers he did for 2000ad a few years later

** He did one episode of Dead Ringer in The Megazine, too

maryanddavid

Mike White, Roy of the Rover artist, worked on probably every boys IPC titles, including Action and Battle and he did quiet a bit for 2000AD.
Mostly on the Mean Arena, but he really brought some of Moore's best Future Shocks and Time Twisters to life.

AlexF

Mike White you say?

http://heroesof2000ad.blogspot.com/2018/09/no-118-mike-white-rip.html  :D

How about Maya Gavin, who has the distinction of being the first female artist to draw Dredd (in the Meg and the Prog)?
On a Megazine cover once, even: http://www.2000ad.org/?zone=covers&page=artist&choice=mayag&Comic=megazine

And then there's Warren Ellis, who famously had several letters published as a fan, before getting a single scripting credit (in the early days of the Megazine), not to mention reprints of Lazarus Churchyard, a classic example of trendy 90s comics, and an early showing of Ellis's obsession with the delights of sci-fi technology.

Edgar Wright has a credit on that one Shaun of the Dead tie-in comic, and there was that Placebo poster comic from Prog 1405, which may or may not have had some input from Brian Molko and Co...

rogue69

Writer Mike Carey wrote Thirteen & Carver Hale for 200AD along with a couple Future Shocks & a couple Pulp SciFi

Magnetica

Well I guess it all depends on how well you remember stuff.

I remember Mike White very well for Mean Arena and Abelard Snazz. He always seemed to be a functional artist with clear story telling, but was never a favourite compared to who else was drawing for the Prog at the time.

I remember 13 and Carver Hale well enough as well but might not have named Mike Carey as the writer.

As for Warren Ellis, I definitely remember his stuff, but only because it ranks amongst my least favourite stuff to ever appear in a Tharg publication. I am sure there are loads of middle of the road stories I have completely forgotten.

sheridan

Quote from: Magnetica on 05 September, 2018, 02:54:18 PM
Well I guess it all depends on how well you remember stuff.

I remember Mike White very well for Mean Arena and Abelard Snazz. He always seemed to be a functional artist with clear story telling, but was never a favourite compared to who else was drawing for the Prog at the time.

I remember 13 and Carver Hale well enough as well but might not have named Mike Carey as the writer.

As for Warren Ellis, I definitely remember his stuff, but only because it ranks amongst my least favourite stuff to ever appear in a Tharg publication. I am sure there are loads of middle of the road stories I have completely forgotten.

I always had Warren Ellis on my mental list of 'used to work for 2000AD but went to the USA', so was pretty surprised that the only work he did was Feed Me, followed by the Lazarus reprints (pleased to rediscover my collected Lazarus Churchyard the other day).

Frank

Quote from: AlexF on 05 September, 2018, 10:45:23 AM
How about Maya Gavin, who has the distinction of being the first female artist to draw Dredd (in the Meg and the Prog)?

Good manners mean we were right to pretend we'd forgotten that particular strip, if not the creator. Dave Bishop obviously lost the phone number of Gavin's co-creator on Blood Sport, Andrew Cartmel, who's the Barney equivalent of a Googlewhack.

Compared to Cartmel, Ross Dearsley's half a Dredd and a Starscan looks like a long and illustrious career. Like Dearsley and Gavin, why the literally unbelievable Keith Page only has one Future Shock and a few Annual strips to his name must remain a mystery to all.

davidbishop

Quote from: Frank on 05 September, 2018, 05:19:42 PM
Quote from: AlexF on 05 September, 2018, 10:45:23 AM

Good manners mean we were right to pretend we'd forgotten that particular strip, if not the creator. Dave Bishop obviously lost the phone number of Gavin's co-creator on Blood Sport, Andrew Cartmel, who's the Barney equivalent of a Googlewhack.

Compared to Cartmel, Ross Dearsley's half a Dredd and a Starscan looks like a long and illustrious career. Like Dearsley and Gavin, why the literally unbelievable Keith Page only has one Future Shock and a few Annual strips to his name must remain a mystery to all.

Andrew Cartmel was script editor for Doctor Who in the late 1980s, and has written Doctor Who comics off and on over the years - including a recent stint with Titan Comics. He also co-writes the Titan Comics version of the Rivers of London novels series, working with Ben Aaronovitch.

Frank