Main Menu

RIPs

Started by Quirkafleeg, 27 February, 2006, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grugz

crap....2016 we hate you.
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

Hawkmumbler

Spikes

What to say, eh?

But such sad news.

RIP, Carrie Fisher.

TordelBack

So very sad, such a great undefeatable character, and such a huge part of pop culture, and our particular corner of it.

Bat King

Goodbye Princess :(
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

COMMANDO FORCES

Richard Adams author of Watership Down aged 96

Rately

The drinks reception in heaven is going to be some party this year. The music alone.

RIP Carrie.

Mardroid

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 27 December, 2016, 06:36:19 PM

I think Watership Down is one of my favourite books. That's sad, but a good age at least.

Carrie Fisher though... I had such hope she would pull through on learning she was stabilised. Well I guess we all did...

Bat King

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 27 December, 2016, 06:36:19 PM

Read Watership Down and I'm sure I have a copy of Shardik somewhere...
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

IAMTHESYSTEM

Quote from: Grugz on 27 December, 2016, 06:23:42 PM
crap....2016 we hate you.

Ditto. What a terrible end to a terrible year.  :(
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

von Boom

I'm truly saddened by the loss of Carrie Fisher, but my wife is distraught. Princess Leia was a strong female role model at a time when most women characters were only there to be saved. RIP  :'(

And the news of Richard Adams is also sad. Watership Down is truly a marvellous book. RIP.

Colin YNWA

So sad to hear about the passing of Carrie Fisher. Thoughts with her family. This one really sucks and my 7 year old daughter is really sad that she too has lost her favourite Princess.

CrazyFoxMachine

Milady is a huge Watership fan so the double-whammy of loss of both he and the wonderful Carrie being announced within half an hour or so of eachother reduced her to utter sorrow.

We'll drink to them tonight. The downside of our pervasive celebrity culture is that mentors we've never met, friends we've never laughed with, crushes we get a chance to speak to can die and break our hearts without having ever known us as people and just how much we cared. Doesn't mean we shouldn't. Doesn't mean we won't continue to do so for the rest of our lives.

HdE

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 27 December, 2016, 09:01:08 PM
The downside of our pervasive celebrity culture is that mentors we've never met, friends we've never laughed with, crushes we get a chance to speak to can die and break our hearts without having ever known us as people and just how much we cared. Doesn't mean we shouldn't. Doesn't mean we won't continue to do so for the rest of our lives.

Well put, fella.

I've seen a few posts on social media from folks who don't seem to get this - that regular folks are affected by the passing of celebrities for a very good reason. Are these people worthy of adulation? Do they deserve to be idolized? Is there a chance that maybe they're NOT wonderful, shining examples of humanity? To be honest, that's an entirely different discussion.

I reckon we ony naturally tend to pay attention to folks whose words and example resonate with us. So of course it's going to have an impact on us when they pass. And in Carrie Fisher's case, she was one helluva straight talker. A survivor in the truest sense, who had overcome much and learned the true 'value' of fame and the rubbish that comes with it. She never asked to be pitied. She did a lot to raise awareness of the issues she herself faced.

I'm sad we've lost her, but not because she was a smokin' hot space princess in the '70s. It's more because she seemed alright. And I've found the sheer number of folks posting pictures they had taken with her at conventions and other events so overhwelming that I've had to call it a night on social media. Lots of folks evidently feel like they lost somebody who was indirectly a part of their lives. And they're quite right to feel that way.

Such a bloody shame.

Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

TordelBack

Quote from: HdE on 27 December, 2016, 11:19:27 PM
I'm sad we've lost her, but not because she was a smokin' hot space princess in the '70s. It's more because she seemed alright. And I've found the sheer number of folks posting pictures they had taken with her at conventions and other events so overhwelming that I've had to call it a night on social media. Lots of folks evidently feel like they lost somebody who was indirectly a part of their lives. And they're quite right to feel that way.

Such a bloody shame.

Amen to all of that.