Main Menu

Non-2000 AD trades containing 2000AD material

Started by Mark Taylor, 27 December, 2013, 12:35:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Taylor

In addition to all the trades released by Rebellion I'm trying to collect anything else closely 2000 AD related which has been published in GN format outside of 2000 AD, i.e. creator owned material etc. I'm having difficulty finding a source to put together any kind of definitive list, however.

I have:

- Snapshot TPB (received today from Amazon)
- Numbercruncher HB
- Tales from Beyond Science
- Yesterday's Tomorrows (reprints Really & Truly)
- Scarlet Traces (plus its sequel and prequel volumes)
- Lazarus Churchyard: The Final Cut
- Tank Girl: Skidmarks (plus various other Tank Girl)
- The Best of Milligan and McCarthy (doesn't actually contain any 2000 AD / Megazine material but does contain material from Revolver, so close enough).

I don't have Metalzoic but it's on my radar. A little pricey to get hold of, I hope it gets reprinted.

I'm aware of all the IDW material of course and have the first two Judge Dredd trades, plus Year One. I'm not necessarily interested in the stuff that has already been reprinted by Rebellion or will appear in the Case Files at some point.

Anyway, I appeal to the hive mind out there for their unparalleled knowledge... what am I missing?

Bolt-01

Hmm...

Are you after trades of strips by Thargs former droids or just those strips that have seen some work printed in 2000 AD, Meg etc?

If it is the former then you would want to look for titles like SKREEMER by Pete Milligan & Brett Ewins (And Steve Dillon?) and OUTCASTS by Wagner/Grant and Cam Kennedy. Both of those are '80's works that were published by DC.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Mark Taylor on 27 December, 2013, 12:35:43 PM
- The Best of Milligan and McCarthy (doesn't actually contain any 2000 AD / Megazine material but does contain material from Revolver, so close enough).
Yes it does.
We never really die.

Mark Taylor

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 27 December, 2013, 02:38:51 PMAre you after trades of strips by Thargs former droids or just those strips that have seen some work printed in 2000 AD, Meg etc?

Mainly stuff that has seen print in 2000AD, Meg, etc.

In a more general sense I'm also interested anything that 'feels like' it would fit into the pages of 2000AD. I appreciate that's rather hard to define and probably slightly different for every fan but well, any suggestions along these lines are also welcome. :)

Mark Taylor

Quote from: The Cosh on 27 December, 2013, 02:45:41 PM
Yes it does.

Care to be more specific? ;)

Mark Taylor

Quote from: Mark Taylor on 27 December, 2013, 02:48:00 PM
Quote from: The Cosh on 27 December, 2013, 02:45:41 PM
Yes it does.

Care to be more specific? ;)

Okay never mind, I just realised as I was bound to, Sooner or Later.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Mark Taylor on 27 December, 2013, 02:47:32 PM

In a more general sense I'm also interested anything that 'feels like' it would fit into the pages of 2000AD. I appreciate that's rather hard to define and probably slightly different for every fan but well, any suggestions along these lines are also welcome. :)

In that case I'd defo go with Bolt's suggestions, particularly Outcasts which is both brilliant and very 2000ad.This email

Colin YNWA

Oh and look out for the upcoming Johnny Nemo collection by the same team as Skreemer and I'd suggest is more 2000ad

There's also the Rian Hughes collection that has some 2000ad stuff in I think. Oh and didn't Charley's War get an appearance in the Meg?

Bazooka Joe

Cam Kennedy - The Light and Darkness War, printed by Epic. Did I read somewhere that they are reprinting this?

Bryan Talbot - The Nazz, printed by DC. The Adventures of Luther Arkwright, printed by Valkyrie Press.

Alan Grant & Mike McMahon - The Last American, printed by Epic.

Those are worth checking and were the first ones that sprung to mind.

maryanddavid

Warren Ellis's Global Frequency, nearest he has done to a 2000ad story, decent read too.
I'd second The Last American, Metalzoic and Skreemer, originally intended as a 2000ad story fact fans!

Colin YNWA

Didn't realise Skreemer was originally planned as a 2000ad story. Good to know.

O Lucky Stevie!

Wasn't Skreemer mooted for the original, Steve MacManus-helmed version of Revolver?

& whilst we're on Milligan, if you haven't read his & Duncan Fegredo's jaw to the floor genius that is Enigma then you're in  for a real treat. Originally intended for Art Young's Touchmark imprint for... wait for it... Disney.

As was the also excellent Sebastian O, courtesy of the Morrissey / Marr of superhero comics: Grant Morrison & Steve Yeowell. You may have heard of either.

Both titles saw print under the Vertigo banner for DC.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Frank

Dystopian near future with chunky weapons technology, check.
Basically a seventies WWII comic with sci-fi trappings, check.
Carlos Ezquerra on art, check.
Garth Ennis managing a few nice ideas and character moments but basically resorting to the tired format and lame conventions of the bad action movies he was watching at the time, check.
Nasty computer colouring, double check.

Bloody Mary is all that was nearly good and often quite bad about nineties 2000ad, and I'd be amazed if those two hadn't originally planned it as a project for the prog. See also, Just A Pilgrim by the same team and, while we're at it, Bob The Galactic Bum by Ezquerra again but with Wagner and Grant putting the words in the little balloons.

glassstanley

Dept of Monsterology - only available as separate issues at the moment, but well worth it. May even be set in the same universe as Caballistics Inc and Absalom.

Alski

All excellent. Just A Pilgrim would have fitted perfectly in the Meg, as would Bloody Mary. Both violent and mental with a strange streak of humour running through the middle.

Bob The Galactic Bum is quite bizarre but very entertaining as well.
"Cool Stuff You Will Like"

Music, Comics, Books, Video Games, TV and Film reviews/articles.

http://cool-stuff-you-will-like.blogspot.co.uk/