Main Menu

Best strips of 2018

Started by norton canes, 03 January, 2019, 11:23:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pyroxian

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 09 January, 2019, 05:01:21 PM
Looking forward to seeing this. Sterling job Norton Canes.

Will quickly sneak in my votes then:

1. Brink
2. Survival Geeks
3. Strontium Dog

I, Cosh

01. Brink (this strip will most probably be the best of 2019 too)
02. Lawless
03. Jaegir
We never really die.

Link Prime

Cheers Norton  :thumbsup:

My votes:

1st - Brink
2nd - Fiends of the Eastern Front
3rd - Fall of Deadworld

AlexF

Always I am late to these poll threads!

My list:

1st Survival Geeks
2nd Brink
3rd Sinister Dexter

(I feel bad putting Brink at the top when it's an incomplete thrill - but I'll be honest and say this third series hasn't been quite as good as the first two, although I'm desperate to see how it unfolds)

Honourable mentions from me - Bad Company (mostly for the Return of the Mac); Mechastopheles (Another series with a clearer plot could propel this into Nemesis-level fun); Fiends (Dave Taylor's art especially, but Trevallion's working wonders too); Durham Red

And yes, best thrill of the year was actually Judge Dredd: the Small House. Hand on heart, not a vintage year for my money. The Megazine, on the other hand, that's been on scorching form!

norton canes

OK, the results are in! (hoping my counting skills have been accurate...)

1st   2nd   3rd   
Brink164157
Strontium Dog62527
Jaegir44222
Fiends Of The Eastern Front   35322
Grey Area4513
The Fall Of Deadworld13312
Durham Red12310
Kingdom12310
Brass Sun419
Survival Geeks1127
Savage33
Infestinauts12
Mechastopheles11
Sinister Dexter11
A.B.C. Warriors0
Anderson0
Bad Company0
Skip Tracer0
The Order0

Clearly, not even the fact that only half a chapter was published diminished the extraordinary appeal of Brink. I wonder if its runaway popularity will influence Tharg to go for more long-form strips?

In the year we lost one of its much-loved co-creators, it's fantastic to see that the latest, and hopefully not the last, installment of Strontium Dog proved a massive favourite; and two strips with their roots in war stories from progs past tie for third place, making a cast-iron top four.

Continuing down the table ten other strips accumulated points, leaving a further five to wonder what might have been. Should we include Dredd in the voting next year? Alternatively, I thought perhaps a separate vote for best Dredd story might be a good idea (but someone else might have to run that one!)

Anyone who missed the deadline, don't worry, post your votes! It's always good to read what people like. NB there was one set of votes I didn't score - Batman's Superior Cousin, I wasn't sure of your reverse 3-2-1 denoted points or positions. Sorry!

That's that, then. Let the discussion commence...

Fungus

The other story there is probably Fiends? Great to see new(ish) blood doing well.

Magnetica

Great to see a resounding win for Brink. For me it really does rank as highly as anything we have had in the Prog ever - yes even early Slaine, Nemesis, Zenith etc.

As you say it would be great to see more long form stories in the Prog....on the other hand, as you said earlier, Skip Tracer had more episodes than anything else last year (ok they were different stories) but it didn't score a single point. I guess that just underlines that it is quality that counts, rather than (just) the number of appearances.

broodblik

Thanks for the trouble hosting this and I think doing a separate vote for Dredd .
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Batman's Superior Cousin

Quote from: norton canes on 10 January, 2019, 10:16:15 AM
Anyone who missed the deadline, don't worry, post your votes! It's always good to read what people like. NB there was one set of votes I didn't score - Batman's Superior Cousin, I wasn't sure of your reverse 3-2-1 denoted points or positions. Sorry!

Good grief man, it quite clearly meand Third, Second, First Place in descending order. If there was any confusing, you could have just messaged me. It's not rocket science mate!!

Anyway, I'll start a Favourite Judge Dredd story next year, if anyone wants me to!!
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Batman's Superior Cousin on 10 January, 2019, 02:28:01 PM
Good grief man, it quite clearly meand Third, Second, First Place in descending order. If there was any confusing, you could have just messaged me. It's not rocket science mate!!

Equally, it wouldn't have been rocket science to read the post from norton which preceded yours that clearly said he'd assume 1st, 2nd, 3rd in that order unless explicitly stated otherwise.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JamesC

What a year for Dan Abnett. Not only does he take the top spot but he has three stories in the top ten!

broodblik

Hopefully we will see more Brink in the coming years. If it has to end now please give is a proper edning (I am looking at you Kingdom  :lol:
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Batman's Superior Cousin

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 10 January, 2019, 02:40:25 PM
Quote from: Batman's Superior Cousin on 10 January, 2019, 02:28:01 PM

Equally, it wouldn't have been rocket science to read the post from norton which preceded yours that clearly said he'd assume 1st, 2nd, 3rd in that order unless explicitly stated otherwise.

Looking through his last post, I see absolutely no mention of this.
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

norton canes

Please herewith find the results table updated to include the voting of Batman's Superior Cousin:

1st   2nd   3rd   
Brink174160
Strontium Dog62527
Jaegir44222
Fiends Of The Eastern Front   35322
Grey Area5515
The Fall Of Deadworld13413
Durham Red12310
Kingdom12310
Brass Sun419
Survival Geeks1127
Savage33