Main Menu

Wasted #2 now out! Gibson's art in there!

Started by Gibson Quarter, 19 June, 2009, 06:26:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gibson Quarter

Hey all,

I'm very happy to announce that Wasted #2 with some of my 'War on Drugs' art -written by ALAN GRANT , is now out. Please head on over to //http://www.badpressltd.com/and check it out.

Issue 1 is also available, and has 7 pages of delicious 'War on drugs' art! The colors on this magazine are done by JAMIE (All Star Superman) GRANT, and both issues #1 and 2 have FRANK QUITELY art in there too!

I mean, really ....how can you NOT buy one?  ;)

Please support this book!! I'd be grateful, and happy to sign it for you when I see you at the cons.

Cheers,
GQ

Emperor

Good stuff - I asked Iain "Black Cape" Laurie about this the other week.

There is a sampler available as free PDF on their site if you want to try before you buy:

http://www.wastedcomic.com/

More background in an interview with Alan Grant:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=12460
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Kev Levell

Good stuff Gibson! You must be chuffed to bits - that's a great panel too!

Pete Wells

Sorry GQ mate, I fucking love your work but I bought Wasted no 1 and it was the shittest, most annoyingly, chavtastic comic I ever had the misfortune to read. Really, really desperate "Hurr hurr hurr, we take drugZ" stuff.

I'm not prudish or anti-weed by any stretch but this waste of paper makes me despair. What is Alan thinking?

Gibson Quarter

No worries Pete, its not a comic for everyone.

I found issue #2 ( now in my hot little hands!)  better than issue 1...its like anything, we'll get better as we go.

For my $, it's worth it just for Iain and Fraser's Black Cape! I love this strip. Alan Kerr's 'Lusi Sulfura' is excellent as well.

Cheers,

GQ

IAMTHESYSTEM

I've never been so sickened and disgusted in my life Gibson Quarter.

How much is it again?
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Darren Stephens

Quote from: "Pete Wells"Sorry GQ mate, I fucking love your work but I bought Wasted no 1 and it was the shittest, most annoyingly, chavtastic comic I ever had the misfortune to read. Really, really desperate "Hurr hurr hurr, we take drugZ" stuff.

I'm not prudish or anti-weed by any stretch but this waste of paper makes me despair. What is Alan thinking?
Ouch! Kinda how I felt about issue 1 too. Felt like a chavvy version of a Robert Crumb comic and as such, a huge waste of potential. I did enjoy some of it, mind. Gibsons artwork was the strongest in there. Jon Howard talents were "wasted", if you'll pardon the crappy gag. It has great production values also. Feels a bit out of order to knock a title after one issue, so I may well give it another bash.
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Pete Wells

Yikes, I've just read this back and I was more than little harsh there, sorry GQ!  Thanks so much for your measured and (overly) tollerant response!

I will pick up issue 2, just to support you.

Emperor

Quote from: "Darren Stephens"Ouch! Kinda how I felt about issue 1 too. Felt like a chavvy version of a Robert Crumb comic and as such, a huge waste of potential. I did enjoy some of it, mind. Gibsons artwork was the strongest in there. Jon Howard talents were "wasted", if you'll pardon the crappy gag. It has great production values also.

That's it really - it has a lot of potential, it just isn't really delivering on it. GQ and Iain Laurie are Ones to Watch and there is other top-notch talent on board, overall the kind of team you'd give a lung to have working with you. Although my sense of humour can be... earthy shall we say, I have to assume I'm not the target audience for this but I'd also suspect that audience is off doing something else.

It would be possible to turn it around and I'd assume they've got reviews, feedback and creative criticism which should help, so I'll be checking out issue #2 to see what how things are going. It could be an interesting title.

They are also open to submission so if anyone thinks they can do better...
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Gibson Quarter

QuoteYikes, I've just read this back and I was more than little harsh there, sorry GQ! Thanks so much for your measured and (overly) tollerant response!

I will pick up issue 2, just to support you.

No worries Pete! I work very hard on my art make sure it isn't a 'waste of paper' ,so I appreciate the support. Feel free to post up (or PM me) your thoughts once you've had a read through. Also, I'll be happy to sign it up for you at next year's Bristol con! Hell, I'll  even sketch on Johnny K on the mag for ya.  ;)

All the best

Gibson

Gibson Quarter

Hey all, check it out....Wasted #2 got a  10/10 review from //http://www.comicbitsonline.com

WASTED No.2 by Bad Press
Magazine size, 64pp
Full Colour, UK £3.25

Has it really been a year since #1? This was one of the items that escaped Postman Mangler yesterday and I have to say it is a treat.

I mentioned that the first issue left me very surprised because I had not expected such high quality printing - I think I assumed, for some reason, that this was an old style Underground Comix. Well, it is an Underground-style comic when you look at the contents but no dodgy printing. Top quality.

The Kerr cover is this issues centre spread poster and looks great but better still, you don't lose strip pages when you remove it as there are only ads. And this poster looks as good as Jon Haward's from #1.

Alan Grant and Gibson Quarter's "Meat Head" strip starts the show rolling and sets the mood. Grant's "Tales Of The Buddha" features all out combat action as Buddha [before he was enlightened of course] and Jesus kick ass. And Jon Haward does his usual brilliant job on the art but then, this IS Jon Haward and like Big J and Buddy he don't mess about!

Alan Kerr, naturalement, provides the Lusi Sulfura strip - she was sent to Earth to drag souls to Hell - but couldn't be bothered. Great stuff.

"War On Drugs" featuring Johnny K -Agent of R.E.T.R.I.B.U.T.I.O.N. is written by Alan Grant and drawn Gibson Quarter [pencils] and Colin Barr [inks]. Wonderful work with extra "oomph" added by the colour work of Jamie Grant and Derek Dow.

Grant also writes The Dopranos which is drawn by Jim Devlin in a very nice art style. "The Devil's Arse", "Dirty Dog", the wonderfully drawn, coloured [and written] "Black Cape", "Total Fear" and other contributions make for a fun read and I was really happy to see Mark Stafford in this issue contributing "Glyph". Oh,and you must read "Holmes Has It Large" by Martin Hayes [script] and Adrian Bamforth [art]!

I am hoping issue 3 appears more quickly and that Wasted is at the beginning of a very successful and loooong run.

10 out of 10 - oh,and you have to be over 18 years of age to buy this!

Terry Hooper
Comic Book Writer, Artist, Editor & Publisher - Black Tower Cg and author of Some Things Strange And Sinister [2009]

highjon

Just for the record - I think Wasted comic is excellent
The content in Wasted#1 had me in tears - I wasnt expecting off the wall strips with such great artwork.
Wasted #2  continues the great artwork & crazyness
The guys putting this together are not amateurs! What a line up of talent - unedited & uncensored, excellent.
Have you checked out the quality of the paper! WoW. If only 2000ad or the Meg had this quality~ instead of the wafer thin cover & pages we currently get for our £s
My prog is generally warped & wavy as soon as I open my white subscription envelope!
I'll collect them just cos they feel proper
All in all - I know its not for everyone, but hey , I love it!
When is #3 out? anyone know?
Big thanks to the guys who got this together - keep it up
ps. noticed Headquarters are advertising Wasted on the back of the stripping policewoman ;-)- nice!
cheers
john

Richmond Clements

QuoteThe guys putting this together are not amateurs!

Eh? WTF has that got to do with anything?

Yours,

A Small Press publisher.

Proudhuff

After reading the first issue I don't think I'm in the target audience for this, but will pick it up and support the chaps.
DDT did a job on me

Trout

I'll buy anything that involves Frank Quitely.

- Trout