Main Menu

Aquila and the New Bloods; Thoughts?

Started by Hoagy, 02 February, 2013, 05:29:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoagy

New characters have appeared on the pages of 2000ad recently and I was wondering how readers are quantifying them at these early stages.

For me, I have an interest in Aquila, and I keep returning to the thought, "Aquila; Slaine for the 21st Century?"
But is that an unfair comparison? As there are not so many soap opera elements of Aquila's beginning.

And does this, along with what I think, far too deep, a resonance with biblical stories, weaken the character. Maybe more time is needed and, as with Azreal, I will get the trades for a full understanding.

As it is, as a non-subscriber it's difficult to keep up with all the subtexts I know these writers are capable of.

It would be nice if readers gave their pointers on how the "new bloods" are making changes.

"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Hawkmumbler

Absalom. The Nikolai Dante of the 2010's.

Hoagy

"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Proudhuff

The great thing about 2k is the new and fresh ideas that hit the Prog every year, having said that we're stuck with D'eath and the three stooges along with the likes of the Angel Gang or Anderson that have been flogged to death.
So yes to the fresh bloods are very very welcome, more so Aquila....as long as the get the shields the right shape this time  ;) 
DDT did a job on me

Professor Bear

So to be clear, you are worried that the wrong shape of shield will compromise the historical accuracy of this story about immortals and demons and stuff?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Proudhuff on 04 February, 2013, 05:42:26 PM
having said that we're stuck with D'eath and the three stooges along with the likes of the Angel Gang or Anderson that have been flogged to death.

Stuck with the Angel Gang? Ratfink notwithstanding, when was the last time any of the Angel Gang were a significant presence in the prog? All bar one of them are dead and Mean was only seen (relatively) recently in a cameo that effectively wrote the character out of the series...

I agree that Death and co should have been disposed of some time ago, in fact I'd argue that they should have been 'killed off' at the end of Necropolis, but 2000AD has an admirable track record of keeping things fresh.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Proudhuff

Quote from: Thunders McQueen on 04 February, 2013, 10:33:29 PM
So to be clear, you are worried that the wrong shape of shield will compromise the historical accuracy of this story about immortals and demons and stuff?

naw, I wouldn't know the difference, that was someone else's pedantry...

'but 2000AD has an admirable track record of keeping things fresh' it does indeed Jim and I said that too,
as for the Angel gang with one except the calls for their return still haunt this board... and the next film!!
DDT did a job on me