Main Menu

Prog 2136 - Last Chance To Shine!

Started by NapalmKev, 15 June, 2019, 01:05:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CalHab

Absolutely textbook use of the format in Dredd. Can't wait for next week.

Timothy

[spoiler]I'm sure I recall a Wagner interview in which he suggested that were Dredd to die it wouldn't be at the hand of a big villain but in an everyday stupid back-street shootout. Of course he's not dead, but if he were it'd be a good way to go.[/spoiler]

Frank

Frank's disease is a condition of the arse.

Leigh S

I'm taking it there are good reasons for Neimand pseudonym and leaving it at that, but it would be somewhat hilarious (though I'm not suggesting this is likely in even a fraction!) if it was Wagner using a pseudonym to show the forum moaners who look for Wagner's name and complain about the story no matter what on the basis it isn't Wagner - obviously that would have backfired somewhat!

Though the reference to a "deluded" conspiracy around the Apocalypse War in the Megazine Dyer story did read like a writer ignoring what others were doing (specifically Smiley's confession over in the progs)!

Quote from: Magnetica on 17 June, 2019, 02:57:12 PM
Kenn(eth)y Who?

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Leigh S on 19 June, 2019, 07:33:05 PM
I'm taking it there are good reasons for Neimand pseudonym and leaving it at that, but it would be somewhat hilarious (though I'm not suggesting this is likely in even a fraction!) if it was Wagner using a pseudonym to show the forum moaners who look for Wagner's name and complain about the story no matter what on the basis it isn't Wagner - obviously that would have backfired somewhat!

Funnily enough that crossed my mind - as you say probably poppycock but wouldn't it be hilarious.

BPP

2000ad is on fire atm.
The Meg has been storming it since Meg 400

Halcyon days my friends.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

norton canes

About as perfect as a prog gets. 'The Samaritan' nails exactly why I read Dredd. Scarlet Traces has blossomed into something glorious. Absalom is ab-solutely sublime, as ever. And I know I was a bit harsh on Thistlebone last week; well, I reckon this instalment would've made a much better introduction, since it hints at the evil at work rather than going straight in with a big reveal.

All this and a double whammy of good news: a full series of Full Tilt Boogie, and a new series from Abnett and Elson, doubtlessly to keep them ticking over until the next chapter of Kingdom. 

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Well if that wasn't a corker of a prog, I don't know what is. Every page was riveting, and that's even with reading it at close to 2am after the most stressful day I can remember in years. If I had to choose a favourite strip it'd be Scarlet Traces, simply because I haven't seen a comic strip that looked that beautiful- and dragged me from panel to panel so effectively for a long time. Oh my god those colours!
But everything was top notch. That last page of Dredd!  Thistlebone! Hazzer back with a kentic opener! A cover featuring an old man on a deckchair! Haha! Letters!
Perfect prog.
And next week... oh bugger it's another Anderson strip. Arse.
Still, four out of five will always be good in my book.
SBT

Proudhuff

SBT that is an excellent cover isn't it? one I'll be voting for come xmas....
DDT did a job on me

sheridan

Quote from: Frank on 15 June, 2019, 03:30:13 PM
Quote from: Richard on 15 June, 2019, 01:50:08 PM
I've only had time to read Dredd so far, but that is a hell of an opening episode. More from the Kenny droid please.

Niemand?

Who?  ;-)

sheridan

Quote from: sheridan on 21 June, 2019, 10:37:30 PM
Quote from: Frank on 15 June, 2019, 03:30:13 PM
Quote from: Richard on 15 June, 2019, 01:50:08 PM
I've only had time to read Dredd so far, but that is a hell of an opening episode. More from the Kenny droid please.

Niemand?

Who?  ;-)

I see others beat me to it!

Trout

Every panel on every page of this comic is excellent. I loved it all.

The dialogue in Absalom is particularly good.

- Trout

Tiplodocus

Top proggage is much appreciated here in the Tips household.

Scarlet Traces has really wowed me on this run. That DREDD final page also full of shock and awe. Thislebone alsoo great. But best of all is Absalom. Perfect combination of art and script.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

TordelBack

Slowly returning to the sourland of the half-dead after a fortnight cavorting naked in the forests of Gaul and generally slapping my dwarf about, and am now greedily catching up on my proginches and threadacres. I didn't think it too many (because I somehow managed to miss 2137).

Many thanks to those curtain-twitchers who passed on the scéal on Mr. Niemand, it was as I suspected but somehow still an extremely pleasant surprise! I'm not sure any revelation would have given me as much pleasure, other than some newly-minted robotic prodigy bursting fully-formed from the Rosette of Sirius.

And what a Dredd the quasi-anonymous one gives us this time, even after a superficially similarly-themed story the last few weeks. Not often those final-page splash reveals (beloved of the Carroll droid) land with such a dramatic thud!  Johnson doing some excellent character work here too, very nice.

Thistlebone marries rather stilted dialogue to glorious art and comes out on top.  Still intriguing, but needs to do a bit more than expositional conversation to keep it that way.

Scarlet Traces summarises its longer-term plot for the second time in several weeks, but as with Thistlebone when things look this good it's no chore to read.  Ahron, I love you, but we only have two more episodes to save the Earth!

Absalom finds Rennie already despatching his characters with characteristic abandon.  In media res never started this well.

Dandontdare

anyone confused by the hypocrisy of "publcly in that post - i;m a drunk  doofus and it should've been a PM to Tords