Main Menu

Prog 2086 - Bet on Red!

Started by Colin YNWA, 16 June, 2018, 03:10:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bolt-01

You aren't alone Woolly- I've looked at that picture for way more time than I should have. It is just so wrong, but so fascinating in its construction.

TordelBack

Quote from: Woolly on 19 June, 2018, 12:48:46 PM
I know I'm an army of one here, but... I've grown to adore that Miller Dredd. So very very wrong, but I love it!

As the newly-appointed chair of That Cover's fan club, I demand that you explain why the ridges on the right kneepad are horizontal and those on the left are vertical.  The sleepless nights must end sometime...   

Bolt-01

Y'see- I'd never noticed that till then. Astounding. Truly...

Tomwe

Quote from: TordelBack on 19 June, 2018, 01:35:35 PM
As the newly-appointed chair of That Cover's fan club, I demand that you explain why the ridges on the right kneepad are horizontal and those on the left are vertical.  The sleepless nights must end sometime...

Its all about the energy isn't it :P

Woolly

Quote from: TordelBack on 19 June, 2018, 01:35:35 PM
Quote from: Woolly on 19 June, 2018, 12:48:46 PM
I know I'm an army of one here, but... I've grown to adore that Miller Dredd. So very very wrong, but I love it!

What, have you never seen a sideways kneepad before?
Or a boot so large an old woman could live in it?
Or a bearded Dredd gazing longingly into what appears to be Frank Miller himself's eyes?

It's all genius, and you know it!  ;)

JOE SOAP

Thing is, I'd like to see Frank Miller draw an entire story in that style.

Fungus

I'm glad it exists. It's definitely something.

TordelBack

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 19 June, 2018, 04:51:16 PM
Thing is, I'd like to see Frank Miller draw an entire story in that style.

"Some men just want to watch the world burn".

broodblik

Dredd - this was a great story and hopefully we can get more stories set in the beginning of the dreddverse (maybe the Meg is a great place for this)

Skip Tracer - enjoying this but it start feeling like it wants to tell you something but not quite clear on how to tell you

Deadworld - macabre at its best, I am enjoying this more and more.

Durham Red - the change of artist did not break the story. Lee Carter's art is different but still great. The new Durham works for me, more please.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

norton canes

Just picked up my prog. All I'm saying for now is The Order is back!

Steven Denton

Quote from: BPP on 17 June, 2018, 12:50:04 PM
Conversely I think it's a not great cover

1) the parts of her body seem incoherently exposed if emerging from a (flat lying) liquid.
2) the huge white areas just seem a waste of cover space, like the artist wasn't bothered.
3) the face is weirdly expressionless and the skin colouring dead-like - zombie-red?
4) why are there no drips of liquid on the emerged parts - most notable the right hand gun?
5) what physical position would you be in to expose forehead, hands, breasts and thighs? Great core work out but most people emerge from liquid torso up first.

It sort of works if she's coming thru a vertical plasma doorway / teleport but not at all from a horizontal liquid.

I don't really like the whatabout defence in much the same way I don't like 'it's only a comic' or it's only a drawing' an answer. Its not abstract expressionism and its not a symbolic stylised pinup and the fact other pictures exist isn't a particularly good reason not to criticise this one. 

Having said that the anatomy exposed from the liquid makes perfect sense. Red's left side is twisted forward, her shoulder is raised out of the blood and her left leg is raised out of the liquid (probably bent at the knee out of shot. he head is tilted forward, chin down. meaning her forehead would be out of the blood. The whole thing is not viewed directly from above but from head height as if standing at Reds feet.

In my opinion the face angel should be more dead on and less from a low angel as Reds head tilt would counter the viewing angel and the right arms angel wold mean it would be at an angle close 45 degrees as it came though the blood rather than strait up, with the hand position that would make the right hand gun partially submerged.

Frank

In a prog where four out of five stories rely on old stories or characters for their appeal*, Skip Tracer is all I've got to get my teeth into that hasn't already been chewed and digested.

Cruel wits suggest Skip Tracer is less a title, more an instruction to readers, but the truth is there's nothing actively wrong with it. It's like Chris Evans (not that one) in the Avengers movies; unremarkable but perfectly adequate and nice to look at.

The fatal femme we've seen trailing Nolan Blake - I typed Blake Nolan before I looked it up - turns out to look a bit like that girl who was hanging around Sam Jackson's helicopter airbase in the Avengers movies, so - like the films of the MCU series - that metaphor ties up neatly without being particularly good in its own right.

I love all the art.

Special mentions go to Jake Lynch's fantastic Lawmaster design, with tyres so wide the bike can be used to roll flat large squares of pastry, and to Dave Kendall, for turning the strip with the most boring colour palette since Carl Critchlow's Nemesis & Deadlock into so much hot pink and lime green it felt like being stuck behind a group of middle-aged men on bikes.

Damned loses all those points for referencing Deacon-fucking-Blue. **

* Durham Red's at least only nicking Wagner & Grant's character, but Damned and Paradigm Shift are prequels and/or origin stories of other prequels and origin stories, hanging onto the tailgate of other strips like Marty McFly in an anachronistic simile. Survival Geeks gets top marks for inventing original characters but loses them all again for just being about another series the writers wish they were working on instead.

** Not the one from Canon Fodder

Frank

Quote from: Frank on 20 June, 2018, 10:36:05 PM
Damned loses all those points for referencing Deacon-fucking-Blue. **

** Not the one from Canon Fodder

Also written by Kek-W, all the way back in 1996; Big Sister Pop obviously holds a special place in his imagination and his heart. Art by Chris Wet-Wet-Weston:

norton canes

Quote from: BPP on 17 June, 2018, 12:50:04 PM
why are there no drips of liquid on the emerged parts - most notable the right hand gun?

Maybe she's going into the liquid...

Anyway, whatever inaccuracies there may be with the exact positioning of the liquid, it's a fantastic cover. More Rachael Stott please.

Great resolution to Dredd this week, the way the two plot strands have dovetailed (do strands dovetail?) really has been masterful. Survival Geeks is inconvenienced by having a plot resolution get in the way of the jokes, but remains as entertaining as ever. Deadworld is just... freaky. Yeah, I'll need to re-read at the end to pick up the plot but on a week-to-week basis it's grotesquely wonderful. Durham Red - couldn't quite put my finger on why it looked different, at first - think I preferred Willsher. Or hang on - let's get Rachael Stott!

I'm actually quite enjoying Skip Tracer. It's almost like a throwback to the more juvenile kind of strip that 2000 AD was doing back in the early days. And that's not meant as a criticism, it's nice to have something like that around again.

Finally, Little Detail of the Week: in that panel in Survival Geeks where Simon is walking off with a cloud over his head, Sam's fingers as she speaks. Sweet!

Bolt-01

The cover is all kind a great, design wise.

[Pimp]
I wish I'd been able to get Rachael to do more for FQ, but the one strip she did is a cracker, and the issue is  still available from the fqp shop too... for a mere £2.50...
[/Pimp]