Main Menu

Space Spinner 2000AD

Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling hundred and forty-fourth episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 459-462 of 2000AD, covering March of 1986. This week Halo Jones fights the Fast-Forward War, Johnny Alpha gets to the chopper, the chicken agents get HIGH, the Kneepad Kid returns to Judge Dredd, and we reach the end of the Tomb of Terror!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!

Quote from: Andy B on 14 January, 2019, 12:47:02 AM
It'll be fascinating to get your take on it. And like others have said, there's usually at least one really good thing going on: plus, the Megazine. I should have asked: are you planning to cover that? And if so, what does that 21.69% go down to..?  :D

(PS: how do you pronounce 'buoyant'?)

We actually talk about it vaguely this episode. We are planning to cover the Meg, definitely as a different show (sort of like the current ReAction episodes), and there may be some RSS feed shenanigans coming up when it starts. But at our current pace we won't get to fall 1990 until spring 2020, and I've made a pact with myself to not start working on it too much until we're closer to the start of the Meg. Of course, with 30 years of the Megazine vs 40 years of the Progs the % will go up faster for the new show ;)
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

Andy B

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 14 January, 2019, 05:58:08 AM
We are planning to cover the Meg, definitely as a different show

It's good times!

By the way, I very much enjoyed the latest episode of 'Stranger by the Dozen' (although hopefully getting bored of the 90s and skipping 20 years isn't a precedent...). They're some fun comics it wouldn't otherwise have occurred to me to read. Because 2000ad creators mainly went to DC, I never got into Marvel, so this podcast is an interesting way to do that. Recommended!

Leigh S

I think the root problem of 2000AD in the 90s (and hey, not just 2000AD, it was endemic) was it was trying so fucking hard to be cool - sneering at the previous tastes of the readership seemed like a valid way to achieve top-cool - so while we are steeped in mid 80s Metal/RPG here, by the 90s, 2000AD is embarassed by it's old record collection and D&D source books and pretending like it was always on-trend and get away from me you sad losers in denim jackets with your poor personal hygiene and bags of dice - Tharg has GONE RAVIN'!

But that's a debate for the time!  For now, strap on your Brodeswodes and let's mosh!

Quote from: Andy B on 14 January, 2019, 12:47:02 AM
Who knows - you guys might like the 90s. Already, you're enjoying things like Mean Team and The Dopplegarp, more than I did at the time. Maybe it's a factor that a lot of the original readership (who are now middle aged guys like me) were getting into their late teens, going to college, and just thought they were too cool for 90s 2000AD.

It'll be fascinating to get your take on it. And like others have said, there's usually at least one really good thing going on: plus, the Megazine. I should have asked: are you planning to cover that? And if so, what does that 21.69% go down to..?  :D

(PS: how do you pronounce 'buoyant'?)

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: Andy B on 14 January, 2019, 02:18:03 PM
By the way, I very much enjoyed the latest episode of 'Stranger by the Dozen' (although hopefully getting bored of the 90s and skipping 20 years isn't a precedent...). They're some fun comics it wouldn't otherwise have occurred to me to read. Because 2000ad creators mainly went to DC, I never got into Marvel, so this podcast is an interesting way to do that. Recommended!

Thanks! I few up reading mostly Marvel, so most DC comics are unknown to me, except where I did weird deep dives (I've read way more Swamp Thing and Hellblazer than Batman or Superman, for instance). And yeah, no plans to jump ahead for Space Spinner, especially because 2000AD doesn't have any handy complete restarts that would make such a jump convenient.

Also, for the record I pronounce it "boy-ant" and that fact is making me question a fair amount of my lifestyle.
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

Dandontdare

Couple of clarifications on the reader art - the "Stephen Hawking kinda guy" is another reference to The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole (referenced in the Dredd cockroach story last ep) and "Prime Dread" is prime minister Margaret Thatcher.

I'd forgotten how much fun Tomb of Terror was - 2000ad hasn't always been great with in-comic games - loads of over-complicated board games with hundreds of fiddly pieces to cut out - but this foray into RPG was well designed and worked pretty well. Do you plan to do the Diceman specials at some point?

The Monarch

am i a horrible human being for looking forward to foxes reaction on mondays episode i mean the end of halo AND that shock ending to stront i wonder which will break him

WhizzBang

The thing I am most looking forward to is the Dead Man reveal. I didn't experience it myself, but it must have been quite a moment for readers who were there at the time - probably the biggest thing since the Apocalypse War.

I suppose we have a few years to wait for this.

SpaceSpinner2000

Yeah that's not until 89/90 I think. Still a ways to go!

The Monarch

i'ld say about a year our time

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling hundred and forty-fifth episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 463-466 of 2000AD, covering March and April of 1986. This week Ace Trucking is in disguise, Johnny Alpha is in trouble, Judge Dredd is in the Griblig business, and Halo Jones is out, just out.

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!

Leigh S

So glad you found the inappropriate advert under the corpses of our most beloved childhood heroes as hilarious as I do! 

Alan Moore's star was rising at this point, and he was doing creator owned (or work he thought would become creator owned (*shakes fist at DC*), so his antipathy towards 2000AD at this point makes sense.  That level of success put him in a position where he really could walk away on a matter of principle, and regularly has!  Won't be long before he makes his feeling plain in prog 500s Tharg's Head Revisited strip?

sheridan

Quote from: WhizzBang on 18 January, 2019, 10:02:40 PM
The thing I am most looking forward to is the Dead Man reveal. I didn't experience it myself, but it must have been quite a moment for readers who were there at the time - probably the biggest thing since the Apocalypse War.

I'd say the revelation that [spoiler]Nemesis[/spoiler] is [spoiler]Deadlock[/spoiler] was quite a shock!

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: sheridan on 23 January, 2019, 12:15:28 AM

I'd say the revelation that [spoiler]Nemesis[/spoiler] is [spoiler]Deadlock[/spoiler] was quite a shock!

That one doesn't stick for long though, does it?
@jamesfeistdraws

Lobo Baggins

I assume that the 'pears in a bitter vinegar sauce' are actually pears poached in red wine but Halo doesn't know what red wine is. You can take the girl out of the Hoop, but you can't take the Hoop out of the girl...
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 23 January, 2019, 08:46:04 AM
Quote from: sheridan on 23 January, 2019, 12:15:28 AM

That one doesn't stick for long though, does it?

For me that's less of a twist because it's not like you see him running around doing stuff and then he takes off his mask and reveals is true identity, you know?

Quote from: Lobo Baggins on 24 January, 2019, 05:36:11 PM
I assume that the 'pears in a bitter vinegar sauce' are actually pears poached in red wine but Halo doesn't know what red wine is. You can take the girl out of the Hoop, but you can't take the Hoop out of the girl...

Oh that's super fair!