Main Menu

Space Spinner 2000AD

Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonn Clarke

Thanks for the shout out for me and Jake, Fox.

We must talk about getting you into the book club.

David Tomlinson forever!  :P

FoxIsntARobot

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 06 March, 2018, 08:03:48 AM
Another fantastic episode chaps, as ever. And one that I feel I can add some context for you with. See the 'YNWA' at the end of my forum name actually stands for 'You'll Never Walk Alone' in reference to my once great passion for Liverpool Football Club for which the song is an anthem (along with Celtic in Scotland).

So the song actually has American origins being a Rodgers and Hammerstein song from the movie 'Carousel' - hence its appearance in Ro-Busters is a double whammy referencing both Ro-jaws and Hammerstein's naming inspiration and the fact that Northpool clearly references the docks of Liverpool.

Anyway it was adopted by LFC after Gerry and the Pacemakers covered it in 1963 and is sung at the start of every LFC game. At the time you are currently reviewing Progs Liverpool were completely dominant in English football and probably (I do have some biase) the biggest and best team in Europe winning 4 European Cups (before the 'Champions' League) between 1977 and 1983.

If you want to know how to sing it (and I'll cut this down as obivously there's WAY more than you need to know here).

Walk on through the wind [soft]
Walk on through the rain [soft]
Though your dreams be tossed and blowwWwN [soft]

Walk on walk on [building] with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone [cresendo]

You'll never walk alone [basically shouting by now]

Walk on walk on [softer again] with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone

There see - loads of useless context but I felt I should share!

Consider me learn'd! I actually looked up the song today to listen to while working. Quite lovely I think. I love me some history. As a new Euro resident, I'm starting to get the feeling that Football plays a pretty big role in life! hahahahah

Quote from: Eamonn Clarke on 06 March, 2018, 04:58:45 PM
Thanks for the shout out for me and Jake, Fox.

We must talk about getting you into the book club.

David Tomlinson forever!  :P

Eamonn!! My pleasure man. And I'd love to do an episode. I'll talk to Conrad about getting your info and we'll chat about a good time. Would be absolutely marvelous to chat on your podcast!

BMCCOLL

New to this podcast. Love it, funny as f**k!

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling eighty-eighth episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 284-288 of 2000AD, covering October of 1982. Join us as the Angel gang runs amok on Mega City One, Rogue Trooper finally meets the Traitor General, and Harry Thompson arrives at the High Rock.

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

The Monarch

don't let the door hit your arse on the way out walter and maria :lol:

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: The Monarch on 12 March, 2018, 03:35:34 PM
don't let the door hit your arse on the way out walter and maria :lol:

I think this is something we can all agree on!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

The Monarch

how about when the quality of the prog is high change the rating from worst thrill to weakest thrill

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling eighty-ninth episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 289-292 of 2000AD, covering November of 1982. Join us as both Harry 20 and Ace Garp plan escape from space prison, Rogue Trooper arrives at Fort Neuro, and Judge Dredd pursues the deadly Executioner. Welcome to Space Spinner 2000 the only comic book podcast that is 100% anti-vigilante!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: The Monarch on 19 March, 2018, 06:01:58 AM
how about when the quality of the prog is high change the rating from worst thrill to weakest thrill

You make a good point. A lot of times I'll say "Top/Bottom Thrill" which I think sounds a little better than worst. Definitely something we have to take into account for the coming months!

WhizzBang

Fox was spot on about computer games in the UK. The early 80's were a boom time for gaming with the ZX Spectrum and Commodore 64 being the leading machines in the early years. Very few people in the UK had heard of the 'Great Video Game Crash' at the time it happened.

There was an awful lot of terrible but cheap games around but it was all new and exciting at the time. There was a lot of originality too but also a huge amount of arcade clones. Games were generally put together by just one or two people and the better games programmers actually had a following (Matthew Smith, Mike Singleton, John Ritman, the Stamper Brothers, the Darling Brothers) amongst games fans such was the quality of their output.

SpaceSpinner2000

Interesting! It is pretty amazing to see the Micro Page with actual gigantic BASIC programs in them in the Progs. I don't have a ton of memory of the actual crash itself, I came into video games just when the first Nintendo system was coming out. But you can get a sense of how down people were on video games at the time by looking at old ads for the NES, that stress peripherals like the light gun and the robot instead of the actual games! This is a cultural difference I never expected, and I think it's pretty cool!

Colin YNWA

Christ yeah home computing was a blessing and a curse in our house. I'm pretty sure it was Christmas 1982 that shrouded in great mystery my dad revealed that the reason my brother and I hadn't been asked what we wanted for X-Mas was because we got a ZX Spectrum - 48K, of gaming delight. It was massive deal at the time and cost a bomb BUT my God was it value for money in terms of the time spent using it.

Fast forward a few years and image my dismay when the same father decided we needed to swop the Speccie for a BBC Micro as it was better for learning to programme on and therefore more eduicational. I mean it was okay but the games couldn't hold a torch to its rubber keyed 48K rival.

I still feel the pain.

Though to be fair from my dad's objective it worked and my brother has worked as a programmer for many years now - all be it of the unglamourous world of warehousing software.

Oh and just for reference about how much £19.99 was (the price of the watch you mentioned) in my head the original kenner Millenium Falcon retailed (I think) at £24 or there about. So you could have a Pac Watch  or say a Rebel Transporter which was also £19.99 (again very shakey memory).

Pyroxian

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 20 March, 2018, 08:27:43 AMOh and just for reference about how much £19.99 was (the price of the watch you mentioned) in my head the original kenner Millenium Falcon retailed (I think) at £24 or there about. So you could have a Pac Watch  or say a Rebel Transporter which was also £19.99 (again very shakey memory).

The MF was £19.99 according to page 132 of the 1982 Winter Argos Catalog (https://issuu.com/retromash/docs/argos-no18-1982-autumnwinter)

Dandontdare

This inflation calculator (http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-1633409/Historic-inflation-calculator-value-money-changed-1900.html) suggests that £19.99 in 1982 would be £73.01 today - a shade over a hundred bucks at current exchange rate. I don't think it's that simple though - some things have changed price more than others, especially electronics.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Pyroxian on 20 March, 2018, 10:10:31 AM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 20 March, 2018, 08:27:43 AMOh and just for reference about how much £19.99 was (the price of the watch you mentioned) in my head the original kenner Millenium Falcon retailed (I think) at £24 or there about. So you could have a Pac Watch  or say a Rebel Transporter which was also £19.99 (again very shakey memory).

The MF was £19.99 according to page 132 of the 1982 Winter Argos Catalog (https://issuu.com/retromash/docs/argos-no18-1982-autumnwinter)

Wow cool - I could happily spend hours looking through that catelogue! Anyway RRP of £29.95 so I've gone for middle ground!