Main Menu

Nintendo Switch

Started by radiator, 20 October, 2016, 04:48:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrudgeJohnDeed

It's got a little bit of a Mighty No. 9 look to it hasn't it. I've watched the trailer a few times now, its growing on me. The outdoors environments and the effects look great.

Apestrife

I think mega man 11 looks really nice! Hope it's as good as New Super mario bros. Which I had similar qualms about it's graphics at first, but really really enjoyed playing :)

Link Prime

Woke up to the news that Zelda: The Champions Ballad is available for download right now.
Work cannot end soon enough.

JamesC

Bayonetta 3 has been confirmed.
Absoutely loved 2 and 1 still stands up well.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: JamesC on 08 December, 2017, 01:02:13 PM
Bayonetta 3 has been confirmed.
Absoutely loved 2 and 1 still stands up well.

1 and 2 on Switch in Feb.

3 is a Switch exclusive, so I hear. (ie I read it somewhere on t'internet and now cannot find the link)
Lock up your spoons!

The Enigmatic Dr X

Pinball FX 3 is free on Switch (it always was).

But currently there are also two free tables in the download list. So, effectively a free game.
Lock up your spoons!

radiator

I ended up getting DOOM just before Christmas.

It's a really great game, though this port is not without significant faults.

It's buggy - I'm increasingly getting weird audio issues such as the sound cutting out completely, and there's also an issue with the menus locking up, meaning that I've been unable to activate the weapon upgrade drones. As far as I can tell, regularly restarting the game helps to minimise these bugs.

Aside from the bugs, I'd say as a game it's a little overcomplicated with all the RPG type elements, to the point where I think it gets in the way of the game a little. Being able to upgrade weapons is nice, but a lot of it feels a bit superfluous and overly fussy. I'm also a little disappointed with the loading times, which are very long. Not such a problem between levels as they are so long, but it's a little jarring to have to wait 20-30 seconds for it to reload every time you die.

I'm also very glad I bought the Pro Controller to go with it - it's certainly playable with the Joy Cons, but is so much more fun with the pro.

But yeah, the gameplay itself is very solid. It plays very much like the original Halo game in terms of combat, with some throwback elements of late 90s FPS games such as tricky platforming sections. It also reminds me a little of the very underrated Warhammer 40k: Space Marine, in how it rewards you for charging headlong into battle and getting up close with enemies rather than hiding behind cover.

dweezil2

I've not really been fussed with getting a Switch, but the announcement of this coming out next year may convince me, well that and a hundred quid price cut, as the last two iterations on the Wii were great!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CfGMgJ4x6zE
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Tiplodocus

The more I hear about DOOM gameplay the better for me. I'm shot at games so RPG style levelling up to make it easier sounds right up my street. Those are first bugs I have heard reported though.

Oh and I have FOUR moons on Odyssey! Yah!
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

I, Cosh

Thought Doom was a fantastic game and I'm actually a bit surprised to hear this described as RPG elements. Unless the game is radically different from the PS4 version, the only stuff I can remember was the weapon upgrade trees. Think there were a couple I had to consciously chase but most of which you unlock just from playing the game.

Definitely agree about the exhilaration you get from the Smeato gameplay ethos!

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 04 January, 2018, 08:28:00 AM
Oh and I have FOUR moons on Odyssey! Yah!
I absolutely hated Odyssey after my first session on it. To the extent that I didn't play it again for two months and would have returned if I was a less lazy man.

Fortunately I'm not and I got right into it over the holidays. I still have some big issues with the controls and camera in certain situations but given the ludicrous number of different play modes involved, it's basically fine.

Currently on 300 moons and have just unlocked Bowser's Kingdom so I guess I'm nearly finished the main story.

Oh, and had to finally give in and look up where to find the last three or four shrines on Breath of the Wild. Good game but I think it will be a while before I'm dying to play the DLC.

Should we all try to be Switch pals or something? What online vs games are there?
We never really die.

radiator

QuoteThought Doom was a fantastic game and I'm actually a bit surprised to hear this described as RPG elements. Unless the game is radically different from the PS4 version, the only stuff I can remember was the weapon upgrade trees. Think there were a couple I had to consciously chase but most of which you unlock just from playing the game.

There's the weapon upgrades you purchase, but also the weapon upgrades you unlock via the drones - which are tied to the ones you can purchase. Additionally, there are upgrades you earn by weapon use. There are also suit upgrades, purchased with a different type of currency. On top of that there are other suit/armour/health upgrades you can find (the glowing orange explodey balls), then there are extra abilities you can unlock via the challenges, and on top of that there are 'runes'.

As I say, it's not the end of the world, but I find the excess of different upgrade systems and mechanisms a little fussy, unintuitive and overall a little more complicated than it needs to be. Some of it feels very arbitrary, like they make you unlock abilities that really should just be default (eg - you can 'upgrade' the HUD and map). Adding an extra layer of confusion is the aforementioned menu screen-locking bug (which initially I didn't know was a bug) meaning I basically didn't upgrade anything for half of the game, and abandoned certain upgrade drones I found as I couldn't activate them and figured I hadn't met some requirement.

Quotebig issues with the controls and camera

Really?!?!? Odyssey has some of the slickest, most satisfying controls I've ever experienced in a 3d action game. Most games would use every button on the controller to implement the kind of moveset Odyssey achieves with basically three buttons. The motion control stuff is mildly annoying but nonessential and easily ignored.

radiator

I'm about 10 moons short of the 999 on Mario. I just don't have the willpower to gather up the last ten (including the beach volleyball one and some of the trickier races).

GrudgeJohnDeed

I played some Odyssey on a friends switch and it was a lot of fun, I did find the random graphics a bit odd though! It was like they'd made a lot of the game in one style and then raided the Unity asset store or something :D I didn't spend much time with it though, I'll put the time in when I get it and I'm sure the zany art style will click. To scratch the itch whilst I wait, I just recently played through Super Mario Galaxy 2 on Wii and that is a fantastic Mario game.

radiator

I never much cared for the Galaxy games - they're too linear. I much prefer the exploration focused 3d Mario games like 64 and Odyssey.

Keef Monkey

Played through Watchdogs 2 over the holidays and had a great time. The systems give you lots of scope to figure out your own solutions to missions and make it really satisfying, there were loads of times I didn't physically enter a mission area, but crept around the periphery remote-controlling my drone and RC car thingy to stealth through areas and hack what needed hacked. It makes for a really unique approach to stealth, and gives it a ton of player agency.

People seemed really down on the first game in general so would be a shame if that put people off because this is a real step up, it's got some swagger and confidence that was missing before, the tone is way more fun and the characters and lead are great. Didn't expect to like it as much as I did, but it was brilliant.