Main Menu

Space Spinner 2000AD

Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling hundred and thirty-second episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 423-426 of 2000AD, covering June and July of 1985. This week Judge Death gives a rude awakening, Rogue Trooper and Sláine go for the oldest trick in the book, Johnny takes on the Slavers of Drule, and Super Surf 7 begins!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!

Also, we're starting to get towards the end of 1985 in our recording, and the Spinnies are on the horizon! I'd love to hear your nominations for best artist, writer, overall thrill, month, and where you think 1985 fits in with the rest of 2000AD so far! Also, what your favorite thing we covered in 2018 was! It goes from 1982 to 1985, real golden age stuff. All comments/commentary appreciated!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

sheridan

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 12 November, 2018, 12:29:12 PM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 12 November, 2018, 07:49:18 AM
Well even though I'm only half way through I feel I have to comment on Episode 132.

First and foremost I'm of course deeply flattered that you dedicated the show to me my playing the song written in tribute to my forum name at the start (and I assume) and end of the show. Very touching.

Thanks! For the record YNWA was the number one for that month, for one reason or another, but who am I to go against someone's weird podcast obsession?

I think it was a re-release of the song (by a Liverpool band) following a ferry disaster on the Mersey...

Quote from: The Monarch on 12 November, 2018, 08:36:14 AM
holy crap i just realised whats coming up in strontium dog :o

It's gonna get heavy!

Don't quite have time to check out Barney, but I'm guessing a time job followed by [spoiler]a reduced cast[/spoiler]?

Colin YNWA

Quote from: sheridan on 12 November, 2018, 01:00:53 PM
Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 12 November, 2018, 12:29:12 PM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 12 November, 2018, 07:49:18 AM
Well even though I'm only half way through I feel I have to comment on Episode 132.

First and foremost I'm of course deeply flattered that you dedicated the show to me my playing the song written in tribute to my forum name at the start (and I assume) and end of the show. Very touching.

Thanks! For the record YNWA was the number one for that month, for one reason or another, but who am I to go against someone's weird podcast obsession?

I think it was a re-release of the song (by a Liverpool band) following a ferry disaster on the Mersey...

It was actually for the Bradford disaster.

Please everyone knows I was just being cheeky right?!?

The Monarch

[spoiler]yes...yes it is time for a bit of a RAGE inducing time with bubble gum[/spoiler]

oh by the by the helltrekkers can't fly over the cursed earth because of the Death Belt that was introduced in the cursed earth epic. I mean i know it was dealt with later on but its still an issue at this point in the dredd timeline right?

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling hundred and thirty-third episode we continue our journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with the 1986 Judge Dredd Annual. This is the sixth Dredd Annual, and we have Carlos Ezquerra drawing two new full color Dredd stories, and new challenger John Higgins doing one, as well as classic Dredd, some features, and an Ian Gibson Judge Anderson punch up.

This episode Conrad is joined by friend of the show and 2000AD and Dredd fan Jake Ebeling! You can find Jake on Twitter where he's @ebeling_j

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!

Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

SpaceSpinner2000

Also, we're starting to get towards the end of 1985 in our recording, and the Spinnies are on the horizon! I'd love to hear your nominations for best artist, writer, overall thrill, month, and where you think 1985 fits in with the rest of 2000AD so far! Also, what your favorite thing we covered in 2018 was! It goes from 1982 to 1985, real golden age stuff. All comments/commentary appreciated!

Lobo Baggins

I've always assumed the Wally Squad was named after Where's Wally?, even though it's called Where's Waldo? in America.

And I think that Walter the Wobot page must have been languishing in the "we've-paid-for-it-so-we've-got-to-use-it-sometime" drawer since 1979...
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: Lobo Baggins on 15 November, 2018, 04:27:19 PM
I've always assumed the Wally Squad was named after Where's Wally?, even though it's called Where's Waldo? in America.

And I think that Walter the Wobot page must have been languishing in the "we've-paid-for-it-so-we've-got-to-use-it-sometime" drawer since 1979...

Ah, but the first Where's Waldo was in 1986!

And that drawer seems to get a lot of use in '85, as we keep getting these big masses of Alan Hebden and Peter Milligan Future Shocks.

Frank

When fans and journalists get a chance to interview Wagner or Grant, they waste the opportunity by asking questions about politics, when what everyone really needs to know is why the Wally Squad are called the Wally Squad.

Google suggests 'wally' was a chant that went round Woodstock*, but other than that, my level of insight hasn't changed much since I was a kid. Here's what else the word 'wally' meant** in the eighties:

* Which would fit with TB Grover's age(s) and interest in the counterculture, as well as the perception of the Wally Squad as freaks and weirdoes

** 'Wallies' would only mean 'false teeth' to those afflicted by Scottishness

I, Cosh

I just assumed it was the everyday schoolyard definition: idiot.
We never really die.

Frank

Quote from: I, Cosh on 15 November, 2018, 05:41:36 PM
I just assumed it was the everyday schoolyard definition: idiot.

Yeah, that's the obvious one, but that reading of the name doesn't make intuitive sense in the same way as dunk, tap or pongo. Maybe they're sometimes dressed like idiots, or pretending to be idiots, but not all the time.

It probably means idiot, but it's slippery enough to warrant further consideration.

Steve Green

First time it appeared on my radar would have been in Only Fools and Horses...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sA3ylZl6zO0

Which would have been around the right time.

Lobo Baggins

A wally is also a gherkin according to my South London bred parents (they're from Shooters Hill in Eltham, which subsequently turns out to be where Bill Savage originally comes from...)
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

The Monarch

And that drawer seems to get a lot of use in '85, as we keep getting these big masses of Alan Hebden and Peter Milligan Future Shocks.

That poor drawer suffers in the 90s

sheridan

Quote from: Lobo Baggins on 15 November, 2018, 06:38:41 PM
A wally is also a gherkin according to my South London bred parents (they're from Shooters Hill in Eltham, which subsequently turns out to be where Bill Savage originally comes from...)
Where else would the most famous Londoner who always wields a shooter come from?