Main Menu

Space Spinner 2000AD

Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhizzBang

I thought it was funny in the latest episode covering 426 where Conrad and Fox puzzled over why the US letter had the address stated as Fargo, USA without mentioning the state. The state seems superfluous to us and is never used in the UK, although US music acts touring Europe will sometimes state 'London, England', 'Glasgow, Scotland', 'Paris, France', etc on their tour posters. It looks odd to us, as it implies we could be confused and think they mean another London/Glasgow/Paris if they do not state the country.

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling hundred and thirty-fourth episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 427-430 of 2000AD, covering July and August of 1985. This week Judge Anderson gets her man, Rogue gets sandy, Ace Garp gets bad news, and Super Surf 7 gets underway! WRITE HIS NAME IN BLOOD

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!

Quote from: WhizzBang on 17 November, 2018, 11:44:36 AM
I thought it was funny in the latest episode covering 426 where Conrad and Fox puzzled over why the US letter had the address stated as Fargo, USA without mentioning the state. The state seems superfluous to us and is never used in the UK, although US music acts touring Europe will sometimes state 'London, England', 'Glasgow, Scotland', 'Paris, France', etc on their tour posters. It looks odd to us, as it implies we could be confused and think they mean another London/Glasgow/Paris if they do not state the country.

It is one of those US things I guess, we love saying the state!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

sheridan

That's Chief Judge Fargo to you, citizen!

Re: London, England - I blame Ontario!

Colin YNWA

Great episode once again.

I particularly loved the fact that you have a definative fav piece of art of all time. There's so much good stuff to be able to fix it on one spread is so cool.

I'm also curious as to when Dredd was both of your favourite thrill - seems like a age ago... though that could very possibly be my rubbish memory. If its right however it speaks to the fact that there is sooo much good stuff in the Progs at this time.

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 20 November, 2018, 07:44:37 AM
Great episode once again.

I particularly loved the fact that you have a definative fav piece of art of all time. There's so much good stuff to be able to fix it on one spread is so cool.

I'm also curious as to when Dredd was both of your favourite thrill - seems like a age ago... though that could very possibly be my rubbish memory. If its right however it speaks to the fact that there is sooo much good stuff in the Progs at this time.

Yeah it's been a while since Dredd was a top for both us. The progs have really bee going from strength to strength, giving us amazing stuff!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

The Monarch

enjoy the highs while you can guys

SpaceSpinner2000

In our action-packed fourth episode Jason and Conrad continue their journey through the pages of the infamous classic comic with issues 10-12 of Action! This episode we're getting into phase two of action, as some early stories end and some new ones start. Hookjaw will return!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!

Funt Solo

There are at least three London's in the USA: in Ohio, Arkansas and Kentucky. So they (y'know, the homogenous hive mind known as the Americans) need to specify the state because they were so unoriginal and homage-driven when it came to naming things when they politely told the locals to move along the bench and make some room. They have ten Newcastles.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Fungus

Stating the state makes sense, yup. Original place-naming feels a bit route 1; plenty of Burns, Hills, Fields, Ends, Mills and Ports, etc. Sticking New ahead of US placenames is pretty cheeky (York, England, even... South Wales). A real missed opportunity with New Newcastle  :)

The Monarch

so wait if america calls badges buttons what do they call buttons

Funt Solo

Quote from: The Monarch on 23 November, 2018, 01:54:04 PM

Buttons.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Dandontdare

Subutteo is great! My big brother used to force me to play all the time - he had a pal who had all the pitch-side accessories like stands, scoreboards and floodlights, plus dozens of carefully painted teams. I was rubbish at it and had to be bullied into playing so he could beat me - but once you snap a couple of those plastic suckers off their base, you tend to get left alone!

FoxIsntARobot

Quote from: Funt Solo on 23 November, 2018, 02:52:38 PM
Quote from: The Monarch on 23 November, 2018, 01:54:04 PM

Buttons.

This literally made me laugh so hard water shot out of my nose. I love this forum.

To clarify, badge/buttons can also be called Pins.

AlexF

Is it bad etiquette to post my Spinnies 1985 submissions here?
In any case:

Top Artist: it can only be Carlos Ezquerra, but my mind is ever blown by his amazing brick statues of the Lords of Drule.
Top Writer: Pat Mills, and specifically for those bits of Time Killer that annoy Fox and Conrad so much. I LIKE the good/evil balance nonsense.
Best overall thrill: The Mean Team! Because I am still my inner 7 year-old self. Never has violent death looked and sounded so much fun. Maximum Kill Points!!
Best month: October - if only because October 1985 is when I read my first ever Prog (but also I have a special love for Two Ton Tony, and Farewell, my Billions - not to mention the mighty Mean Team)
Best Year: you'd think for the reason stated above 1985 would have to rank as my favourite year ever but frankly Helltrekkers and Horst-era Rogue Trooper are so dull I think 1984 has the edge this time.

Best Space Spinner Memories from 2018? Gotta be our genial hosts waxing poetical and practically weeping into their microphones over the glories of Skizz.