Main Menu

...LOAD RUNNER, THE GALAXYS FIRST COMPUTER COMIC...

Started by ARRISARRIS, 14 July, 2004, 12:58:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARRISARRIS

...i was wondering if any of you kind Earthlets out there could help me with further information on this very rare and hard to find comic from 1983, as far as i know there was only 13 issues, of which i have only issues 11 and 13 missing (if this is Correct) What i was wondering was does anyone have these issues, and would they be willing to scan the issues for me? i know its a long shot but im sure it doesnt hurt to ask, ive tried searching on the web but it doesnt really ever come up, any other information on this little oddity from my past would be most greatful, so over to you guys...

johnnystress

Is it spelt LODE Runner? and based on the game?
Didn't know there was a comic of it (if it is.)http://images.google.ie/images?q=tbn:Rq-QEJO-am8J:http://www.kdh-amiga-shop.com/catalog/images/loderunner2.jpg">

ARRISARRIS

...sorry, not the game your thinking, its definately Load Runner...

ARRISARRIS

..does nobody really remember anything about this long lost comic?...

WoD

Yeah I remember it...It had a guy running from something and he escaped into a building where he ended up in various game scenarios himself; including a giant chess game where the pieces had onboard weapons, etc.  IIRC he used one of these to break through a wall into the next set-piece.

BadCityRoss

Hiya - i've been searching for some info on this 80's computer comic I used to read as a kid - I think it was this Load Runner you're posting about - I remember a story called "Trumbulls World", a story about a robotic football team (with a human dressed up as a robot) and some photostory about a rogue Dragon 32 - could you confirm to me wether this was in Load Runner or not, i'd be very grateful.
Cheers.

ARRISARRIS

...Hi, BadCityRoss, Trumbull's World was indeed in Load Runner, as was the one with the human in a robot future football team, which was called 'Andy Roid, the Dominators rogue star' however your other memory draws a blank im afraid. There was a couple of photo strips in Load Runner, but the title's for these were as follows... 'Time Plan 9' and 'School for Software'

As far as i can piece together, there was only 13 (unlucky for some) issues, the last being a 32 page comic only, the rest were 40. Obviously they knew the comic was on the skids, because even the lead story is rounded of, but obviously meant to be continued as there are still question's unanswered, but no next issue box.  However all the remaining strips are intended to continue including a first chapter of  a sequal story to 'Trumbull's World' called 'Simian's World' who if you remember was the villain of the first story.

What i would reall like to know is what happened to the comic and why? and also how much stuff was produced for future issues but never appeared, proabably questions that can only be answered by staff that worked on the comic...

BadCityRoss

Thanks ArrisSarris, thats really taken a load (sic) off my mind - I wasn't going mad after all. It would be interesting to hear from someone that worked on the comic - my only theory was that the "fervour" around the home computer boom of the early eighties was not as fervent as the publishers hoped and the sales were not strong enough to keep going - I wonder if the ABC (Audit Bureau of Circulation) would have any figures on the sales of it, if the ABC was going back then...Next mission - I must try to find some copies on ebay. Take it easy man - i'll get back to you if I find any more info.

iamnothing

I sent you a personal mail, but for info and scanning of loadrunner mail me at matt.p.street@btinternet.com