Main Menu

2000AD Original Art Thread

Started by J3D1, 16 May, 2010, 08:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spikes

Great stuff, Skullmo - a very nice haul o' pages. Gonna have to dig the Leviathan's Farewell story out for a re-read. One of the Winter Specials, wasnt it.

And there must be a story to how you (and Mark, and Pete) snagged these?

hippynumber1

Quote from: Judge Jack on 19 May, 2013, 02:32:01 PM

Well, it all began with Eboneke from Nairobi...

Sideshow Bob

" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890

Link Prime

Jacob, no joking, thats one of the finest hauls in history.
AMAZING stuff.
Leviathans Farewell is gold standard 2000AD material ('twas the '89 summer special Iain- the cover of which made me blush when my Gran worryingly asked me what it was about!)

I'd totally forgotten Mick Austin did that Finn cover too. A beaut to behold in the flesh I would imagine.

Fatboydale

Lovely cover..... only one i would have bought .....
Quote from: Skullmo on 19 May, 2013, 02:10:51 PM
If you are a Finn fan you will also like this. It looks amazing, but is painted in oils on oil painting board and so is quite hard to photograph. The size is about A2.

Skullmo

Quote from: Fatboydale on 19 May, 2013, 05:46:55 PM
Quote from: Skullmo on 19 May, 2013, 02:10:51 PM
If you are a Finn fan you will also like this. It looks amazing, but is painted in oils on oil painting board and so is quite hard to photograph. The size is about A2.

Different strokes . . .

Thanks Dale. Yes the colours are really rich in the flesh.

It's a joke. I was joking.

hippynumber1

[/quote]

Pffffsssshhh! Turns out Dale knows nothing after all!   ;)

Sideshow Bob

" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890

o1s1n

Wowza, I love that Finn cover! Amazing to hear it was done in oils. I'd assumed everything was painted in acrylics due to deadlines.

Skullmo

Actually Mick used Inks for the black and white stuff and coloured inks for the coloured art.

For painted art he primarily used gouache, however he did experiment in oils early on.

As you can see from this the gouache painting is far more bright and colourful! :D

Fatboydale

Quote from: hippynumber1 on 19 May, 2013, 06:01:38 PM

[/quote]

.... i should clarify , i meant out of what Covers was offered BY Mick Austin   691, 833, 882, 917, 936 ...the Finn cover is far the best of the Bunch ...

Skullmo

Quote from: Judge Jack on 19 May, 2013, 02:32:01 PM
Great stuff, Skullmo - a very nice haul o' pages. Gonna have to dig the Leviathan's Farewell story out for a re-read. One of the Winter Specials, wasnt it.

Well it originally started when I asked Mark where he got his excellent Mick Austin cover, as Mick is one of my favourite ever 2000ad artists.

Once we has established that there was a mutual appreciation and no Mick art out there I got out my detective hat and sought out the man himself! He kept a good deal of his art which was in storage so I was lucky enough to get some of my favourite pages! ::)

Skullmo

Quote from: Fatboydale on 19 May, 2013, 07:15:16 PM
Quote from: hippynumber1 on 19 May, 2013, 06:01:38 PM

.... i should clarify , i meant out of what Covers was offered BY Mick Austin   691, 833, 882, 917, 936 ...the Finn cover is far the best of the Bunch ...
[/quote]

Oh that was what was left after we had made our orders :-)

o1s1n

That is unreal! Finn was always one of my favourite characters when I was a kid, something about the design. Always had me drawing him.

Painting aside, the composite of that page is beautiful, feels like he's going to leap out of the page :)

Skullmo

Quote from: o1s1n on 19 May, 2013, 07:18:27 PM
That is unreal! Finn was always one of my favourite characters when I was a kid, something about the design. Always had me drawing him.

Painting aside, the composite of that page is beautiful, feels like he's going to leap out of the page :)

Yes this and one other, that I don't own grrr, are my favourite Finn images. It is so nice to get art you are really blown away by :)