Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moogie101

Quote from: repoman on 12 February, 2020, 08:57:37 PM

I wasn't even sure it was possible to make a good zombie movie but they managed it with this one.

Booo!!!

"Train To Busan" says otherwise, and its even available right now on All4 if people haven't seen it yet.

Dark Jimbo

Film 21 of the year was The Night Eats The World.

I wasn't even sure it was possible to make a good zombie movie but they managed it with this one.
Good concept well executed.

That's the one about the musician trapped in a Paris apartment, yes?

Really liked that one. It's as much about surviving the grinding, tedious boredom of being stuck in the building, never able to make a sound, as it is about surviving the zombies outside. Really liked the [spoiler]fakeout with the parkour-girl visitor[/spoiler] as well. Can't for the life of me remember how it ends - good excuse to rewatch!
@jamesfeistdraws

repoman

Jumbo, that's the one.  Ending was alright.

Quote from: moogie101 on 13 February, 2020, 12:46:47 PM

Booo!!!

"Train To Busan" says otherwise, and its even available right now on All4 if people haven't seen it yet.

It was okay but the outrageously over the top acting killed it.

It's like the actors had never seen crying before and had only read about it.

The last good zombie film was One Cut of the Dead but that's not really a zombie movie.

22 - AMI.  A Black Mirror type of thing where a girl's phone is evil.  Was better than that sounds though.

23 - Polaroid.   Final Destination type of horror.  Not brilliantly executed but some decent scares.

Professor Bear

Atlantis: The Lost Continent - knockabout romp from the 1960s.  Basically that movie Pompeii, if in the third act, Kiefer Sutherland started shooting lasers at people.  Which would have improved Pompeii immeasurably, but hasn't done Atlantis: The Lost Continent any favors.  Very reminiscent of the old movie serials, especially the random side-plots like the Atlantian gene-splicing programme that turns slaves into human/animal hybrids.

Batman vs Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - which I watched to see if it was as bad as the comics it's based on, and it isn't, but I have to say that while this is a very low bar to clear, the film is still amusing and lacking in the smug grimdark self-importance that made the comics borderline-unreadable.  Also features a side plot about human/animal hybrids.

The People Under The Stairs is the story of greedy landlords who inherited their wealth and now literally hoard it rather than spend it in their community, which they view as a parasitic mass of undeserving thieves and layabouts to the point of creating a barricaded mansion in which to lock themselves, and how they try to drive poor people out of their homes in order to gentrify the area.  Anyway, this is quite dated and modern audiences would struggle to find anything to relate to.

Mardroid

I like the People Under the stairs.
One of those films I'd just come across, watch, forget, but thoroughly enjoy each time.

I hardly watch broadcast TV anymore, mainly streaming stuff either from Netflix or Amazon Prime, or the older channels on demand services. I love having that facility to watch things when I want, but I do miss the old days of channel flipping and just happening across stuff.

Rately

Quote from: Mardroid on 14 February, 2020, 05:58:47 PM
One of those films I'd just come across, watch, forget, but thoroughly enjoy each time.

I hardly watch broadcast TV anymore, mainly streaming stuff either from Netflix or Amazon Prime, or the older channels on demand services. I love having that facility to watch things when I want, but I do miss the old days of channel flipping and just happening across stuff.

Was having a conversation with some friends and we were talking about the joys of a late night movie find on terrestrial TV. The likes of Judgement Night late Friday on BBC1, or The Ring on Film Four, which, at the time scared the pants off me. I think nowadays we are spoiled with the ability to find and search in such specificity, that by the time we identify what we want to watch, it sucks the joy of discovering a movie, and basking in the sharing of it with your mates. Mind you, the level of choice we now have with so many different streaming devices means we usually spend so much time trawling fir what we want, that by the time we identify the bloody movie, you are so nackered it has to wait till later. Repeat!

repoman

24 - Jojo Rabbit.  Well it's brilliant.  As funny as it is emotional.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Rately on 14 February, 2020, 10:18:19 PM

Was having a conversation with some friends and we were talking about the joys of a late night movie find on terrestrial TV. The likes of Judgement Night late Friday on BBC1, or The Ring on Film Four, which, at the time scared the pants off me. want, that by the time we identify the bloody movie, you are so nackered it has to wait till later. Repeat!

Alex Cox's Moviedrome was my introduction to so many great movies, often drunk.

JOE SOAP

repoman

Ah man, I loved Moviedrome.  It's how I saw Trancers and Terminator.

Also, Cox directed my favourite ever film.  Repoman, obviously!

Professor Bear

I liked Repo Man, but always thought it was a shame there were no sequels.

Cox isn't entirely correct in dismissing the idea of social commentary in Craven's films, as this was a common element of horror that only increased in the VHS era as creators had more freedom to write and direct what they wanted as long as they met the constant demand for content.  I suspect most people thought horror couldn't be socially relevant as they saw the self-aware aspects of it as being as far as it could go given the schlocky nature of the material and the cheapness of most films/series, though much is now open to reinterpretation, from the Reagonomics that drove the Friday the 13th series, to the exploration of America's gay panic that powered the original Nightmare On Elm Street.

Woolly

Quote from: Professor Bear on 15 February, 2020, 06:32:57 PM
...to the exploration of America's gay panic that powered the original Nightmare On Elm Street.

Nightmare On Elm Street Part 2, surely?
Not sure that idea holds up for part 1...  :-\

Gary James

Quote from: Professor Bear on 15 February, 2020, 06:32:57 PM
I suspect most people thought horror couldn't be socially relevant as they saw the self-aware aspects of it as being as far as it could go given the schlocky nature of the material...
Barry Norman, who shaped much of the popualr film discussion of the 80s and 90s, didn't understand horror. Yes, he celebrated a handful of releases, but there were instances where he looked decidedly uncomfortable praising the films so often fell back on praising those involved rather than the end product. There were a number of people - Mark Kermode and Jonathan Ross, among many others - who understood that something more was going on.

I've never been comfortable with its classification as horror (mainly due to the cast), but if Freaks is regarded as a genre piece then it is, undoubtedly, the most socially aware horror film ever released. People finding the film on its re-releases (and re-re-releases) in the sixties understood this. When Night of the Living Dead - and Dawn - took the subtext up to another level people did notice.

That a handful of the most prominent reviewers were utterly confused shouldn't be taken as a sign that the public wasn't aware of the use of horror films to talk about what was happening in the world.

The fracturing of audiences over the past twenty years means that many "big name" reviewers aren't shaping opinion as much as they would like to think they are - the utter incompetence of certain media channels certainly isn't helping them get their points across as easily as they would have a few years back.

John Brosnan really is missed...

Rately

Quote from: Dandontdare on 15 February, 2020, 02:31:14 AM
Quote from: Rately on 14 February, 2020, 10:18:19 PM

Was having a conversation with some friends and we were talking about the joys of a late night movie find on terrestrial TV. The likes of Judgement Night late Friday on BBC1, or The Ring on Film Four, which, at the time scared the pants off me. want, that by the time we identify the bloody movie, you are so nackered it has to wait till later. Repeat!

Alex Cox's Moviedrome was my introduction to so many great movies, often drunk.

The drink had a lot to do with falling in love with so many movies!

And I have lost count to how many great movies, and introductions to great directors, actors I had through Moviedrome.

paddykafka

Quote from: repoman on 15 February, 2020, 07:55:50 AM
Ah man, I loved Moviedrome.  It's how I saw Trancers and Terminator.

Also, Cox directed my favourite ever film.  Repoman, obviously!

I'm also a huge fan of Repoman. Saw it five times when it was first released in the cinemas. I remember seeing a version of it on the telly some years later. I can't recall if it was on BBC or ITV, but the version shown was slightly dubbed, so that the words "Fuck" and "Mother-fucker" were, respectively, replaced with "Flip" and "Melon-Farmer".

Really wish that I had taped that particular version.  :D