Main Menu

WH40K

Started by Supreme Pizza Of The DPRK, 15 May, 2017, 11:15:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

von Boom

I should never have gotten involved in this thread. I am not going to buy any new W40K stuff, but I've never owned Blood Bowl and I feel my resolve weakening.

Supreme Pizza Of The DPRK

Quote from: von Boom on 01 June, 2017, 03:13:47 PM
I should never have gotten involved in this thread. I am not going to buy any new W40K stuff, but I've never owned Blood Bowl and I feel my resolve weakening.

Smith

Probably not the best place,but I don't feel like making a new thread so...I kinda started digging up Warhammer Monthly and WH comics in general.A lot of familiar droids there.  :)
I liked Bloodquest.I didn't really dig Demonifuge as much as everyone else,it seems.Im liking Mallus Darkblade so far.
The new Titan ongoing WH40K series has been pretty good so far.Ofc,its not newbie friendly since it requires the knowledge of Dark Angels history.But I guess that wont be a problem for most people reading it.

Theblazeuk

Loved Kal Jerico and the Titan series (e.g. the big robots that the Empire stomps on things with) by Dabnett was great. I was always more of an Inferno boy than a Warhammer Monthly, but you could never find either on WH Smith's shelves so it was never much of a choice on what to spend the pennies on.

Hellbrandt Grim was great, as was Deff Skwadron and the Mordheim-based adventures of Ulli & Marquand.

Smith

I was thinking it wouldnt take a lot to imagine Kal Jerico in Mega City 1. :)

sheridan

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 30 June, 2017, 09:57:22 AM
Loved Kal Jerico and the Titan series (e.g. the big robots that the Empire stomps on things with) by Dabnett was great. I was always more of an Inferno boy than a Warhammer Monthly, but you could never find either on WH Smith's shelves so it was never much of a choice on what to spend the pennies on.

I saw it once in WHSmiths, saw how much it was and that all the lovely painted artwork had been printed in greyscale and decided against.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: sheridan on 30 June, 2017, 01:10:16 PM
I saw it once in WHSmiths, saw how much it was and that all the lovely painted artwork had been printed in greyscale and decided against.

The grayscale art in WHM was all meant to be grayscale. The bog roll paper the first few issues were printed on, on the other hand...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

sheridan

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 30 June, 2017, 01:37:57 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 30 June, 2017, 01:10:16 PM

The grayscale art in WHM was all meant to be grayscale. The bog roll paper the first few issues were printed on, on the other hand...

Still published in a comic with full-colour painted art pricing. 

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: sheridan on 30 June, 2017, 04:57:13 PM
Still published in a comic with full-colour painted art pricing.

I won't defend the decision to eschew colour, the price point, or the choice of paper quality of WHM. Those last two were both things I raised as concerns and earned me the ire of Marc Gascoine. Whether that ire was the reason I couldn't get any post-Daemonifuge work out of him, I can only speculate.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

sheridan

Oh, and if memory serves the greyscale in question was by Colin MacNeil, who does great (intended) greyscale, as we all know...

Echidna

I have the Black Library's hardback editions of Daemonifuge and Lone Wolves and they're lovely. If they give Bloodquest the same treatment I'll be first in the queue to get it.

Daemonifuge is a bit patchy but the first story, by Kev Walker and some feller named Campbell, is glorious. Abnett and Richardson's Lone Wolves is a good read too, despite being lumbered with a title which always reminds me of Airheads: "There's three of you. You're not exactly Lone."

Smith

Okay...Simon Harris?
Was that a pen name?His art looks a lot like John Hickeltons,and I cant find any other work by Harris.That I know of.

sheridan

Quote from: Smith on 08 July, 2017, 07:03:12 PM
Okay...Simon Harris?
Was that a pen name?His art looks a lot like John Hickeltons,and I cant find any other work by Harris.That I know of.

wikipedia says:

"Trespass" (with Gordon Rennie, in Inferno! No. 8, 1998)
"Cycles of Chaos" (with Andy Jones, in Warhammer Monthly No. 9, November 1998)