Main Menu

New U.S Dredd

Started by Bad City Blue, 08 January, 2016, 04:25:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link Prime

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 09 February, 2016, 12:35:08 PM
Why are people buying a comic they're not enjoying? "This isn't Dredd!" Well, stop fucking buying it, then!

The Dredd in the Dredd comics you've always bought is the same Dredd as he was last week and will be next week. Nothing in these other titles remotely impinges on the Dredd comics you like — why are you wasting money on the ones you don't?

Baffling.

Jim

I can't speak for others, but for me it was genuinely the case of wanting to like it.
There is certainly scope in my reading habits to include a monthly (US style) Dredd comic, especially one with IDW's excellent production values.
If this was 22 pages of say, something akin to what Carroll & Sexton are producing in the Prog at the moment, I'd be lapping it up.

I gave this series 2 issues before dropping it- so I must have less patience than you, GMR!

Skullmo

I really think Caroll's stories would work really well in a US Dredd comic
It's a joke. I was joking.

COMMANDO FORCES

Last time I checked people can buy what they like, if they have the money and say what they like about it! It's a bit like reading the Dr Who thread, if you don't like it, why go back next week, it's because you want it to improve. Just saying don't buy it is ludicrous!

If you buy this series and you don't like it, you have every right to say so, especially if you are buying it in the hope that it will eventually become the Dredd you love and know. We gave the other ongoing title 30 issues but that just kept throwing history at it and ripping it apart.

Many people are hoping this series will learn from that series but I fear that throwing Dredd into a story out of his comfort zone was the wrong way to start off. I believe they should've just started with his everyday crimes for the first few issues, then move on!

Obviously I'll stick with it, as I hope it will improve. I like most of the art, I don't like the colouring and the story lacks a lot of what we know and Joe doesn't react as we are used to. That overkill reaction in the first part was way out of character!

BPP

Quote from: Skullmo on 09 February, 2016, 02:02:52 PM

They're certainly of a standard.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 09 February, 2016, 02:30:14 PM
Last time I checked people can buy what they like, if they have the money and say what they like about it!

I'm not saying they can't — it's just that I barely have time to read/watch/see the things I do like, which gives me pretty much zero tolerance for things I don't. Not enjoying it? Fine. It's gone. It's done wonders for my blood pressure; I can't recommend it highly enough as a strategy.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Skullmo

Quote from: BPP on 09 February, 2016, 02:39:41 PM
Quote from: Skullmo on 09 February, 2016, 02:02:52 PM

They're certainly of a standard.
:lol:
It's a joke. I was joking.

Big_Dave

i agree with tim
but this is a thing now http://www.ew.com/article/2012/08/16/newsroom-smash-glee-hatewatch

i hatebought 2000ad for most of 90s

Colin YNWA

I'll stick my oar in, as I've mentioned over at the Mega Comicbook Day thread I'm actually liking it. Sure its not our Dredd, but its defo a Dredd and this Dredd has been thrown into a really interesting man out of his element story with some fantastic art. So yeah its different, but you ask me its still a fun comic in and of itself.

Want more crazy talk, head over to the New Comicbook day megathread - we're all about the fun crazy nonsense like that over in them parts.

W. R. Logan

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 09 February, 2016, 12:35:08 PM
Why are people buying a comic they're not enjoying? "This isn't Dredd!" Well, stop fucking buying it, then!

I have, the downside of advance ordering is that you take a punt, hope for the best and if it isn't to your tastes then cancel.

W. R. Logan

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 09 February, 2016, 12:24:04 PM
In your opinion...

Indeed, other opinions are available, I express mine and other express theirs.

W. R. Logan

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 09 February, 2016, 12:49:03 PM
How old are you, 15? Good christ man so Dan's art isn't to your taste but it sure as hell isn't objectively bad!

I express an opinion, it may differ from yours but my opinion is that it is bad.
Far from 15 and have grown out of the completest nature that companies like IDW rely on to carry on buying a title or chase multiple covers.
I gave it a go, its not to my taste, story or art wise so for me another American attempt at Dredd has failed. Others seem to disagree but if anyone wants to run a sweepstake on how many issues it'll last for this time then I'm sure the fairly low numbers would be the first ones taken.

Hawkmumbler

I'm more refering to the fact you consider Fan's art to be "A horse that needs shooting".

I could care less about how the story fairs, it's certainly not the best, but critisizing an artist is just lowly IMHO.

W. R. Logan

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 10 February, 2016, 08:56:30 AM
I'm more refering to the fact you consider Fan's art to be "A horse that needs shooting".
I could care less about how the story fairs, it's certainly not the best, but critisizing an artist is just lowly IMHO.

I think my opinions are fairly tame when criticizing art or script, and if you think its lowly then have you read many comments by people on this group.

james newell

sort of related, I am reading, Matt Smith's  Dredd "year one2 Graphic Novel  from idw at the mo, is the author actually Tharg's right hand man?

The Adventurer

Quote from: james newell on 11 February, 2016, 09:10:57 PM
sort of related, I am reading, Matt Smith's  Dredd "year one2 Graphic Novel  from idw at the mo, is the author actually Tharg's right hand man?
Yes. Its also one of the best IDW Dredd stories as a result.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK