Main Menu

Howdy

Started by Greg M., 12 August, 2010, 11:45:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg M.

Hello all, how's things? Was a longtime 2000AD reader (and used to post on the old newsgroup) till I shamefully drifted away from the fold maybe six years ago (mostly 'cos I became a student for the second time and had no money for comics for a while!) Returned to 2000AD very recently, lured back entirely by the new Strontium Dog series. Looks like I missed a blinder in 'Tour of Duty' though... oh well, guess the catch-up trades are coming out soon anyway. Now I'll just have to try and work out what's happened in Nikolai Dante over the past half-decade...

Roger Godpleton

Hi.

Maybe you can ask other Dante fans what has occurred when you participate in Meat Find after you Collect your number for Meat Find.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

radiator

QuoteNow I'll just have to try and work out what's happened in Nikolai Dante over the past half-decade...

It appears that we're in the final phase of Dante now, and there's a new series starting in prog 1700 so it's the perfect time to catch up! If I were you, I'd get the trades - they're almost up to date. Hell and High Water, Sword of the Tsar, The Beast of Rudenshtein and Amerika should cover most of what you've missed.

Dante was going through a bit of a low period 5 years ago, but after Simon Fraser returned to the strip in 2006 it has really picked up and is as good now as it's ever been.

Emperor

Quote from: Greg M. on 12 August, 2010, 11:45:32 PM
Hello all, how's things? Was a longtime 2000AD reader (and used to post on the old newsgroup) till I shamefully drifted away from the fold maybe six years ago (mostly 'cos I became a student for the second time and had no money for comics for a while!) Returned to 2000AD very recently, lured back entirely by the new Strontium Dog series. Looks like I missed a blinder in 'Tour of Duty' though... oh well, guess the catch-up trades are coming out soon anyway. Now I'll just have to try and work out what's happened in Nikolai Dante over the past half-decade...

Sounds like you need:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tour_of_Duty_%28Judge_Dredd_story%29#Collected_editions
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikolai_Dante#Collected_editions

Damn that is some fine reading you've got ahead of you.

As I'm sure you'll have more questions you are in the right place.

Oh and voting is still open in this month's forum competition.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Greg M.

Thank you guys for the (stunningly rapid) greetings, and the Dante advice, radiator and Emperor. That's a fine comprehensive reading list (and handy set of links) and is very much appreciated, gents. Though it's been a while since I read it, I do agree with your assessment of Dante at that point... I think the last stuff I read involved him hanging around with his ma on a boat, painted by John Burns. (Wait, now I've got an image of Burns with a pot of Dulux and a brush, giving the boat a second coat while Ma Dante says 'You missed a bit!' Oh well, you know what I meant.)

Anyway, very glad to hear Simon Fraser's heralded a new wave of Dante goodness, I liked Burns fine but it's Simon Fraser's character, after all.

Paul faplad Finch

I was gonna add my voice to the welcomes but anyone who thinks Simon Fraser is better on Dante than John Burns is clearly not to be trusted.

Remember - first isn't always best.

That said, Hello, I suppose.   :)

It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

Radbacker

greetings from OZ, Dante is just arsom right now.

CU Radbacker

Greg M.

Quote from: Paul faplad Finch on 13 August, 2010, 01:46:21 AM
I was gonna add my voice to the welcomes but anyone who thinks Simon Fraser is better on Dante than John Burns is clearly not to be trusted.

Remember - first isn't always best.

That said, Hello, I suppose.   :)

Hello to you too.  :) Don't get me wrong, Burns is a great artist, and I really liked him on Dante. I seem to remember thinking he was knocking it out of the park on the first Tsar Wars book, and was always fond of the way he drew Dante's swords emerging out of his fingers.

But I would be lying if I said I didn't love Simon Fraser's stuff even more. I know, wildly different art styles, obviously, but it's sort of like Carlos on Dredd or S/D - other great artists have worked on the strips, but he breathed life into them.

So now I'm trying to figure out if any 2000AD greats have looked at their best drawn by someone other than their creator...

Roger Godpleton

Fucking Reported.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Colin YNWA

Dante was brillant then and is brillant now. Is brillant with Simon Fraser and is brillant with John Burns... You'll have you some fun catching up with it (and the rest opf the stuff you've missed). Enjoy.

Welcome aboard and have fun.

SmallBlueThing

Mornin' and welcome!
One of the things i love about Dante (outside of the narrative) is that it has two core artists who are so wildly different, yet both excellent. Its a 2000ad tradition that goes right back to the earliest days of the comic when Bolland and McMahon were on Dredd, and its marvellous to see it continuing to this day.
SBT

nev

Welcome to the board Greg.

Emperor

Quote from: Roger Godpleton on 13 August, 2010, 02:13:00 AM

Fucking Reported.

And before this descends into fisty-cuffs (again)... The official line: Both artists are excellent in their own ways and are deployed on stories that play to their individual styles and strengths.

As you were.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

flip-r mk2

It's all right, that's in every contract.
That's what they call a sanity clause.
You can't fool me, there ain't no sanity clause.

http://flip-r.deviantart.com/

http://forflipssake.blogspot.com

http://weeklythemedartblog.blogspot.com/

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana

vzzbux

Welcome.
Is that the assassin's lips on your avatar?

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.