Main Menu

Hook Jaw / Action Annual Art Query

Started by Greg M., 26 August, 2010, 06:22:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg M.

Hi folks. Was wondering if any of you knowledgeable souls can help me with some info? I recently bought a few original pages of a Hook Jaw story from one of the Action annuals off eBay (they were cheap and had a big shark in 'em, what more can I say?) However, I haven't a clue who the artist is or which annual it appears in. I have tried to look this stuff up, but all the sites I found deal largely in Action pre-ban, meaning that the later neutered, 'boy's adventure' incarnation is not covered, and I assume these pages hail from an annual in that era. Here's the pages, if you'd like to see 'em bigger, they're on my Comicartfans site (link in sig.) Thanks in advance. Cheers.

maryanddavid

I checked all the Action annuals I have and its not in them, I dont have 1977 and 1983, so it must be in one of those. The style of art looks a little like John Stokes, but I wouldnt be sure. You could get in contact with Steve Holland over on Bear Alley, of try putting a post on the Comicsuk forum.

Cheers

David

Leigh S

Might be from a summer special?  My Action annuals are buried in the loft I fear!

maryanddavid

I have checked the first summer special, and its not in it. Helman  is on the cover of this one, was there any more specials?

David

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: maryanddavid on 27 August, 2010, 11:45:42 PM
The style of art looks a little like John Stokes, but I wouldnt be sure.

I'd go with Stokes on this, too -- it looks a lot like him, IMO.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Greg M.

Thanks guys, I'm really grateful for the responses (and for your raking through your annuals and giving me a suggestion for further research, David! Cheers!)

What a bloody nice place this is.  :)