Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Apestrife

Quote from: Rately on 14 April, 2020, 07:52:42 AM
Quote from: Apestrife on 13 April, 2020, 04:59:15 PM
Quote from: Rately on 11 April, 2020, 12:31:52 PM
Quote from: Apestrife on 11 April, 2020, 12:14:25 PM
Watched Detective Pikachu yesterday. Didn't mind it. Quite fun now and then. Probably one of the better video game to movie adaptations?

Quote from: Rately on 11 April, 2020, 10:47:34 AM
Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 11 April, 2020, 10:42:04 AM
His most recent film, comedy yakuza come boxing drama FIRST LOVE seemed a bit divisive but I thought it a brilliant self satire of his early mob movies.

You will laugh out loud quiet a bit during it's madness.

Cheers, another one for the list.

The sheer number of movies, and the genre jumping, is staggering!

Seconded!

I've yet to watch his audition and DOA 2 and 3. Really liked DOA1 and Deadly Outlaw: Rekka.

Audition. All I will say is... WOW!

Apestrife, you are in for a treat. Also moments of panic, terror and hilarity.

Saw it yesterday. Sure was something! But good! As with Ichi, no doubt I'll watch it again.

A fabulous movie. The lurch from a movie that is shaping up to be a romantic comedy about a bereaved man to...

Wonder how many people were fed the DVD by a friend who didn't give any hint of what was to come!

I plan to ;) Bit like with Oldboy hehe.

I'll just say it's a very dark and morbid film, and make it sound as if it's the audition bit. 

A bit like with Once upon a time in Hollywood. [spoiler]Telling people about Sharon, that movie can only end in one way. Very bloody. Love the look on people faces when they understand what I meant by "Very bloody" :) [/spoiler]

Rately

Quote from: Apestrife on 14 April, 2020, 08:16:15 AM
Watched Detective Pikachu yesterday. Didn't mind it. Quite fun now and then. Probably one of the better video game to movie adaptations?

His most recent film, comedy yakuza come boxing drama FIRST LOVE seemed a bit divisive but I thought it a brilliant self satire of his early mob movies.

Seconded!

I've yet to watch his audition and DOA 2 and 3. Really liked DOA1 and Deadly Outlaw: Rekka.

Saw it yesterday. Sure was something! But good! As with Ichi, no doubt I'll watch it again.

A fabulous movie. The lurch from a movie that is shaping up to be a romantic comedy about a bereaved man to...

Wonder how many people were fed the DVD by a friend who didn't give any hint of what was to come!

I'll just say it's a very dark and morbid film, and make it sound as if it's the audition bit. 

A bit like with Once upon a time in Hollywood. [spoiler]Telling people about Sharon, that movie can only end in one way. Very bloody. Love the look on people faces when they understand what I meant by "Very bloody" :) [/spoiler]

Fantastic!  :lol:

Oldboy was another superb movie. That hallway fight scene is just utterly ridiculous.

Have you seen the re-make? Have not got around to it yet, but I've now time on my hands to watch a lot of stuff I've been putting off.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Rately on 11 April, 2020, 12:44:36 PM
Speaking of Miike, I've yet to find a copy of his Masters Of Horror episode, Imprint. Has anyone seen it? Is it worth tracking down?

I vaguely remember Mike Garris saying he still couldn't bring himself to watch it from start to finish without taking a break.

It was included in the Masters of Horror DVD boxsets if those are still available! Great box sets those, loved working through all the films and poring over the extras!

It's been a very long time but I remember Imprint being very creepy and pretty intense, although its reputation might make you expect something more extreme. There is some torture involved which I'd assume was the issue with airing it, but from memory I'm not sure it's anything you won't be prepared for if you've seen that sort of thing elsewhere. Definitely bonkers in the context of an episode of a TV show though, not surprised it was banned/never aired. I've been thinking of a big Masters of Horror rewatch so will be interesting to see if it still feels as shocking nowadays when telly can get away with a lot more. It's possible it'll seem a bit tame (but probably not)!

Quote from: Rately on 14 April, 2020, 08:46:45 AM
Oldboy was another superb movie. That hallway fight scene is just utterly ridiculous.

Have you seen the re-make? Have not got around to it yet, but I've now time on my hands to watch a lot of stuff I've been putting off.

I've only seen a couple of scenes while it was on telly and I stumbled on it and kept watching out of curiosity! One of the scenes I saw was the hallway fight though, which is dreadful in the remake sadly. Felt like they were trying to ape it without really understanding anything about why it was good in the first place, so that put me off giving it a proper watch.

Tiplodocus

All the hype that surrounds the hallway fight in OLDBOY actually made me think it was a different kind of film (something like The Raid) I was about to watch. It was a pleasant(!) surprise what it actually turned out to be.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Keef Monkey

Finding the working from home situation is helping me watch more films, that couple of hours where I'm normally commuting can now be put to better use!

The Grey was great, and way more intense than I expected. Always imagined it'd be a bit of a slick Hollywood action thriller but it's more of a grim and gritty survival film, loved it.

Knowing is very, very silly but I do have to hold up my hands and admit I did not see where it was going so fair play. The Cage dial is set disappointingly low which is the worst part, he mumbles through the whole film like he's sedated or (more likely) doesn't want to be there.

Serenity I haven't watched since it came out, and while I liked Firefly I don't have the same reverence for it many do. Still, this is just a cracking fun sci-fi film and it holds up pretty great.

Wreck It Ralph is one of those films I've always been curious to see but before Disney+ probably would never have gotten round to it. It's funny and charming and well written (there's some great plotting that all comes together nicely!) and I'm keen to watch the sequel now.

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 14 April, 2020, 11:49:04 AM
All the hype that surrounds the hallway fight in OLDBOY actually made me think it was a different kind of film (something like The Raid) I was about to watch. It was a pleasant(!) surprise what it actually turned out to be.

Totally get what you mean, I think what makes that fight stand out is just how unlike an action movie fight scene it is. It's clumsy and exhausting and paced in little bursts of energy and just feels really brutally 'real' I think. He doesn't know how to fight, it's just pure resolve keeping him flailing his way through it.

The remake seemed to go the other way to make Brolin look more like an invincible Hollywood badass, and while they've tried to ape the one-take approach they either haven't been able to pull it off or they've been made to cut it down in the edit I think. There was at least one cut during it that left me disorientated because the fight jumped to another floor suddenly (I think they try to one-up the original by having the fight take place on multiple levels of scaffold or balconies or something and it just doesn't work anywhere near as well). Maybe it was edited for TV actually? It did seem very wonkily staged and cut.

That's all I've seen of it mind you, rest of the film might be great! But then even if it is, I still wonder what the point of it existing would be.

Rately

Saw Serenity in the cinema, and loved it. I consider it the best thing Joss Whedon has ever done, and even though we didn't get a sequel, or another series of the show, it was a miracle we got a film, and a great film at that.

Speaking of Whedon, I was listening to the Evolution Of Horror Podcast, and listended to the show that featured Cabin In The Woods. Might give that a spin as I haven't see it in years.

Rately

A shame to hear the Oldboy re-make isn't up to much, especially with the talent involved, and having Josh Brolin starring.

At least we have the incredible original.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 15 April, 2020, 11:53:40 AM

Wreck It Ralph is one of those films I've always been curious to see but before Disney+ probably would never have gotten round to it. It's funny and charming and well written (there's some great plotting that all comes together nicely!) and I'm keen to watch the sequel now.

The sequel is FANTASTIC - slightly overblown ending aside. Well worth it and very, very funny.

Bolt-01

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 15 April, 2020, 01:11:38 PM
The sequel is FANTASTIC - slightly overblown ending aside. Well worth it and very, very funny.

Seconded. Big fans of Ralph in this house.

Apestrife

Quote from: Rately on 14 April, 2020, 08:46:45 AM
Quote from: Apestrife on 14 April, 2020, 08:16:15 AM

Seconded!

Fantastic!  :lol:

Watched some of it. Among other things, the ending. Didn't grab me. Felt a bit like the remake of Let the right one in. A less dangerous version for an audience who'v yet learnt the joys of subtitles.

Apestrife

Watched a John Carpenter double bill last night. In the mouth of madness and The Fog. Hadn't seen either, and went in not being that grabbed by either film's premise. I'm happy to say I was wrong. Both rocked. Madness really grabbed me with it's horror and many ins and outs on what's going on. The fog felt a bit like a Scooby Doo adventure at first but quickly got quite eerie. A really good and fun little horror with an interesting quality that it manages to make light feel a little scary :)

wedgeski

I love The Fog, but the first 20 minutes is an especially brilliant slow-burn creep.

JamesC

Excalibur

I hadn't seen this in years.
It doesn't feel as epic as it did when I was 10 and it all looks a bit cheap.
There's still lots to like about it though. Merlin in particular is great.
I reckon this would really benefit from a remaster as the dvd version I watched was very spotty and the sound was all over the place.

Rately

The Fog is a wonderful, atmospheric movie.

Worth it for the opening scene with the Ghost story being told on the beach. Lovely scene.

Keef Monkey

That intro to The Fog is definitely up there with the all-time great movie openings. So much atmosphere in that campfire ghost story, and sets you up perfectly for what the film is. I've always loved In The Mouth of Madness too, it has some of my favourite Carpenter moments. The scene where [spoiler]Sam Neill is looking through the torn page into the void while the book is being read is incredible, a fantastic example of letting the viewer's imagination do the the bulk of the work and one of the most atmospheric horror movie scenes out there[/spoiler].

I watched it with my wife a few months ago, she'd never seen it and it's always a bit hit and miss how well these things hold up, but it went down brilliantly and is one of her favourite Carpenter movies (and her very favourite Carpenter theme - I love the story behind that where he had temp scored it with Enter Sandman by Metallica and then couldn't use that so he basically wrote his own version of it. Once you know that it's pretty obvious that was the inspiration, definitely one of his most rocking themes!)