Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 19 April, 2020, 10:30:02 PM
This series has finally risen above the level of fantastic, tightly plotted, ultra violent soap into drama of the highest standard and as with all great reveals I now want to go back and rewatch the earlier episodes with the knowledge I now have. Some bits now make so much more sense...

I loved Black Sails. Seasons 3 and 4 are great, but S2 is probably my favourite. It benefits from keeping focus on Stephens' steely Captain Flint, while all around people are double-crossing and back-stabbing each other. It builds to a brilliant finale, too.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

von Boom

Men in Black: The Series. Very funny and often better than any of the films. I would love to see this series revived.

Apestrife

Watched Little drummer girl. Visually fantastic with really good performances from the actors, but the story lost me halfway through. Didn't grab me as much as Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy did. Still worth a watch.

TordelBack

Good Omens. Enjoyed it. Lovely central performances, but ultimately too drawn-out and a with a sickly sweet tone that blunts the mildly sharper edges of the book. I suppose it suffers from the same basic problem as all Pratchett adaptations, in that the best stuff from the books never really seems to work on screen, and you're left with more nostalgia than anything. Its also Gaimany to the bitter Tori Amos end, but that's okay, if you like that sort of thing. Not bad.

repoman

What We Do In The Shadows is back for a second season and still great.

von Boom

Quote from: TordelBack on 25 April, 2020, 11:50:42 PM
Good Omens. Enjoyed it. Lovely central performances, but ultimately too drawn-out and a with a sickly sweet tone that blunts the mildly sharper edges of the book. I suppose it suffers from the same basic problem as all Pratchett adaptations, in that the best stuff from the books never really seems to work on screen, and you're left with more nostalgia than anything. Its also Gaimany to the bitter Tori Amos end, but that's okay, if you like that sort of thing. Not bad.
Michael Sheen and David Tennant were what kept me going until the end. I would love to see them in a series of their own, but I know that's never going to happen.

Dandontdare

Quote from: repoman on 26 April, 2020, 12:14:13 AM
What We Do In The Shadows is back for a second season and still great.

Get in! I devoured the first series in a week and need more.

BAT!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 19 April, 2020, 11:21:08 PM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 19 April, 2020, 10:30:02 PM
This series has finally risen above the level of fantastic, tightly plotted, ultra violent soap into drama of the highest standard and as with all great reveals I now want to go back and rewatch the earlier episodes with the knowledge I now have. Some bits now make so much more sense...

I loved Black Sails. Seasons 3 and 4 are great, but S2 is probably my favourite. It benefits from keeping focus on Stephens' steely Captain Flint, while all around people are double-crossing and back-stabbing each other. It builds to a brilliant finale, too.

Well not seen Seasons 3 or 4 yet, but just finished Season 2 of Black Sails tonight and my gosh its compelling veiwing. Its no The Wire, Twin Peaks or Sopranos but its as entertaining as all hell.

While the final episode is a blast, literally, serveral times, its the second to last episode that sets up the explosive finale that is some of the best telly I've seen. The shock moment, well the most shocking just guns you down and I just did not see it coming. I'm going to have a break on this and watch a few other bits on my rapidly expanding watch list, but it will be through force of will alone that I don't just dive into Season 3 immediately.

karlos

Just been told Gangs of London is well worth a watch.

Gareth "The Raid" Evans directed 2 of the 9 epiosdes.

Expect violence.

Mardroid

Swamp Thing on Amazon Prime

I've been interested in this for a while, but kept putting it off for some reason.

I've watched several episodes now, and overall found it pretty good. It's really more Abi Arcane's story than Swampy's (or rather it's his story through her) but that's not a bad thing. It's  much more horror based than superhero, which is in keeping with the comics.

I understand they cancelled after the first series. It's to soon to judge if that's a good or bad thing (if the series completes the story satisfactorily maybe that is good?) but judging by my enjoyment so far, more would be welcome.

One negative thing: people say 'f@ck' too much.

I'm Not Okay With Thison Netflix

The premise has been done before, lots of times, and there are plenty of cliches, but it is done well here. The characters are really great, and the story is endearing and rather funny in places. There was a bit at the end which [spoiler]rather shocked me[/spoiler], but that's not a bad thing.

Jim_Campbell

I liked Swamp Thing, too, and I'm very sorry it won't get continued. Let's hope that producer Mark Verheiden finds more success with his next TV horror series than Swamp Thing, or the equally ill-fated Constantine (which I also quite liked).
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Professor Bear

Quote from: Mardroid on 27 April, 2020, 05:43:01 PMI understand they cancelled after the first series. It's to soon to judge if that's a good or bad thing (if the series completes the story satisfactorily maybe that is good?)

They actually cancelled it before the first season finished, as they couldn't afford to keep making it after drastically overestimating how much of the cost would be written off by the state in which it was being filmed, but all things considered, it wraps up pretty well.

Tiplodocus

KILLING EVE is pretty good. I'm on Season 1.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Mardroid

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 27 April, 2020, 11:00:16 PM
I liked Swamp Thing, too, and I'm very sorry it won't get continued. Let's hope that producer Mark Verheiden finds more success with his next TV horror series than Swamp Thing, or the equally ill-fated Constantine (which I also quite liked).

I finished the series yesterday and I think it all pretty much held up well, although [spoiler]I thought the Blue Devil stuff was somewhat superfluous. I wonder if they were testing the waters for a spin-off.[/spoiler] A follow up would have definitely been welcome, but it didn't end in a bad place.

I'm now watching Ozark. Pretty good so far. I tend to gravitate towards sci-fi, horror, fantasy and supernatural (arguably the last could be in the previous genres) stuff so this is a nice change.

repoman

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 28 April, 2020, 11:18:54 PM
KILLING EVE is pretty good. I'm on Season 1.

I still need to start s2 but heard it was kind of disappointing.  Will get onto it soon though.

I've nearly finished my rewatch of Always Sunny now.