Main Menu

Forum’s Favourite Thrill - Leviathan vs. Tyranny Rex Round 3 Heat 13

Started by Colin YNWA, 18 May, 2022, 06:18:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Well if Week 1 broke you into what Round 3 could be like Week 2 will show you its extremes with possibly the tie of the Round coming in (though there is one later that possibly tops even this). Eyes will be blinding, hair will be torn out before this week is over...

This one is Tough, both are favourites of mine, but we'll have to get used to that and the other tie today.... Well... that's a level up again... Tyranny Rex had to take down the The Visible Man to get this far. Leviathan has already had a very tough tussle to get to this round having been drawn against Grey Area in Round 2. Neither of these deserves to go out in the Round, however one must...

Leviathan - more info

Vs

Tyranny Rex - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Saturday 21st May and the winner gets a place in Round 4 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

AlexF

Not SO hard, this one. Tyranny Rex was ever a great character in search of a suitable story. The first two are fun, the one with the nuns and the god machine was pretty great, the rest not so much.
Leviathan on the other hand was great all around, even including those one-off 'tales of the Leviathan'.

So, following the trend, Leviathan.

abelardsnazz

Deus ex Machina is another great Smith/Marshall collaboration, and there are some great ideas across the rest of the stories, so I'm going to be contrary and vote for Tyranny Rex.

Magnetica

rogue69

IndigoPrime

Two big guns, but slightly more minor than that other heat. Having re-read Tyranny in the UC recently, there's a lot of good stuff there. The early strips are very dated and contain some dross, but it rapidly gets better, not least the nun arc and the final strip, which felt like a springboard to new strips – but they never came, because, well, John Smith.

Leviathan was a fantastic one-and-done. Its superb high-concept stuff, with fantastic artwork. The main problem is it's over so quickly, although the additional post-conclusion stories somewhat helped with that. Honestly, I kind of wish this strip had been more like Brink – a building horror – rather than so brief. Ah well.

On balance, I think Leviathan wins it for me, purely on being the book I'd keep if I had to choose between the two.

JayzusB.Christ

It's rare that I'd vote against a Smiffy strip, but I never thought Tyranny Rex was his best. So Leviathan for me.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

CalHab

Funt Solo

Leviathan is just SO good. Tyranny Rex has been pretty hit and miss (see evidence below). So, for consistent excellence, it has to be Leviathan.

---

Tyranny Rex: Deux Ex Machina, part 1
Tyranny Rex is a nun seeking redemption, but she's a nun with attitude (and guns)! When the cousins of the baddies from Firekind show up, she's all that stands between the congregation and gruesome annihilation.

Tyranny Rex: Deux Ex Machina, part 2
Tyranny gets teleported to a city policed by floating robo-Elvis heads that only communicate using his lyrics. And she has a magic spirit-ball companion. And then madder stuff happens. I *think* it ends with the rebirth of humanity, with Tyranny as god. And there are songs, so it may qualify as a musical. Any semblance of sane plotting has left the building.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Barrington Boots

I don't like Tyranny Rex but I do like Leviathan so it gets my vote here.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Dark Jimbo

Leviathan is great in so many ways - just a bit short. Tyranny was a character in search of a story, and never really found it
@jamesfeistdraws