Main Menu

Meg 236: Can't Get You Out of My Head

Started by Trout, 22 August, 2005, 04:47:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petemaskreplica

Shame we didn't get the finale of Devlin, but it did mean we got the Spurrier/Cook  Dredd, which turned out well, because it worked much better than the Spurrier/ridgeway Dredd, for reeasons othrs have already pointed out.

Jack Point is turning into a good reliable character, I'm not so head over heels in love with this as others seem to be, but it's very enjoyable, and Frazer's art is always a joy to behold ( I've just been reading Klarion #3 too).

Desperate Dan versus Dredd would be a very irritating strip, but it makes a great pin-up, and thankfully that's as far as it goes. Great article. Some complain that it's not relevant to the Meg. Well, until the day that the British comics industry consists of more than the houses of Tharg, DC Thompson and a couple of others, I don't think "relevant" can be a consideration. And anyway, Tharg's empire was built on the back of this kind of thing, so respect is definitely due.

Anderson & Middenface were both wonderful, but also disappointing in that I'd have like to see them continue a bit longer. We alreay know about Ransom, but Shaun Thomas' art on Middenface was a revelation to me, scratchy and messy and wonderful. I hope we get to see more soon.

Bendatti's taken a while to grow on me, but I'm now convinced, and again, this run seemed far too short. This is the sort of thing that would have had a mainstream audience 20 years ago, but now it'll only get published in a cult sci-fi comic. There really is something wrong with the world.

Charley's War is just unspeakably great, and anyone who says otherwise is just wrong, I'm afraid.

Good text stuff this month, too. All in all, Mr Barnes continues to deliver the goods, looking forward to the birthday issue and 36 pages of Wagner/Flint goodness :)

Trout

I really enjoyed the Dan article, but that's partly because I know people quoted in it, as I said. I'm ashamed to say I actually sat next to Dave Torrie at a dinner in May and didn't know he'd edited the Dandy! Silly me.

As for the content of the article, I found it very engaging. I don't have a problem with the relevance of it, as it's about comics and certainly more "on-topic" than, for example, Si's film column can be. (That's not a criticism, BTW.)
Also, be aware those sort of interview things with DC Thomson employees are quite rare, so I'm keen to read them when I can.

Also, it mentions, in the second paragraph, the paper I work for! Hooray!

As for the rest of the Meg, I loved all three of the Spurrier stories, was lukewarm on Anderson (Dear God, will it never END? Oh, it has. Good.) and thought Midnapped was just okay.

I lost interest in Nicola Benedetti made of Spaghetti many months ago, but still had a go at reading it.

Charley's War is terrific, and I continue to dip into the text stuff and enjoy bits. I liked the writer's turn of phrase in the article on Threads.

Overall: not bad at all!

- Trout

Funt Solo

re Desperate Dan article.

[climbing down from high horse]
Look, lots of other people really appreciate this so, well, there's the relevance right there.  I take back my negative views.
[/climbing down from high horse]
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Artificial Idiot

The Dan article made me strangely nostalgic. Considering me and the Dandy went our seperate ways on bad terms (mainly as it was crap and the Beano was better... Until it tried to second guess it's audience and became crap as well! Huzzah!) but that article made me actually want to dig them all out and read them again...

Excellent Meg on the whole. Boo's art is a real treat, and I really wish they'd put him on art duties for Dredd more often.

The other Dredd tale kind of felt like Simping Detective light, with a bastard at the top (with poor fashion sense that should see him booted out of the Justice Department alone!) taking Dredd for a ride at the expense of others. Interesting idea, and the start was good, but towards the middle it started leaving me a little cold and by the end I was freezing.

Everything else is on top form. Except the Bendetti Vendetta, I just can't get into it. But the art is lovely.  

Mike Carroll

The Desperate Dan article... Well-researched, well-written, completely out of place in the Megazine (but then what do I know? I think that Charlie's War is also completely out of place in the Megazine). Dan and Dredd met once before, of course, in the Comic Relief Comic way back when (if I remember I'll scan in the relevant panels tomorrow).

The cover... I realise that Cassie is getting on a bit, but that's no reason to make her look ugly! And what's the deal with her bottom lip? No disrespect to Mr Taylor, but if I was a casual buyer this cover would turn me off.

Mike C

Trout

Has anyone else noticed that it's a strong Meg, despite having no stories by John Wagner?

That's an accolade in itself.

- Trout

The Monarch

oh god am i jumping to conclusions or will Devlin waugh be permanently killed off in the finale of all hell i mean i don't want to end up like the question and all but saving the finale of all hell for the bithday meg smells of permanently killing him off

petesbeats

I dont think that they will kill off Devlin.  Too strong a character with quite a big fan base.

Trout

The reason given for the delay in showing the final part was "reasons beyond control," or something...

I suspect that's going to be that Colin went to the pub! ;-)

- Trout

paulvonscott

Does the sickly, pasty faced looking Anderson on the cover give anyone else the horn?

Artificial Idiot

Oh yeah, 'MacBOOM' is one of the most amazing comic sound effects ever...

The Amstor Computer

Does the sickly, pasty faced looking Anderson on the cover give anyone else the horn?

Only the vomit-horn...

;-)

Satanist

Worst Meg in ages. 2 poor Dredd scripts & the Bendettis which I couldn't give a toss about. Andersons over and everything is back to normal.

Plus points are Jack Point & Charleys War.

Thank Grud for a strong Prog and roll on next months spesh issue.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

The Monarch

Anderson is over hoozahs were heard all over Darnley until he looked at the bottom of the last page of anderson and was saddened at those four words

Anderson returns in 238

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

GermanAndy

weak cover. Anderson looks like a shrew.

Dredd: Spurrier is more miss than hit for me, and thisn is miss. Sorry, but Dredd would never make such a stupid stunt, even when told to do such a thing.

At least Stomm had a good idea, but we read the same story in the Meg not too long ago. A Judge trying to get a re-evaluation. And this kind of failure don?t wash. Not in MC-1. But great art.

Anderson: good ending. Ranson can?t do wrong.

Middenface: great art.

Simping Detective: this is also hit and miss for me. But interesting art.

Charley: Just to think that this was originally published in a kid?s comic. Unbelievable. Comic greatness.

I miss Rennie?s column more and more. Mostly the regular?s are blah. No bite.

But the Morrison interview was good. At least these are refreshingly honest, not this glamorized shit you can read on comics newssites.

Storywise a rather weak Meg.

But the prospect of a Wagner/Flint Dredd makes one long for October :-))