Main Menu

Prog 1458: The Executioner- Blood will run in the streets of Mega-City One.

Started by ukdane, 26 September, 2005, 01:15:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulvonscott

There was a lovely brace of panels in breathing Space, where you see the murder from both perspectives.  Lovely stuff, really nicely done.

The Amstor Computer

Loving Laurence Campbell's work on Breathing Space, but why-oh-why-oh-why can't they give him a decent script?

C'mon, Tharg - Synnamon, Bison and Breathing Space. Surely the chap's due a break on a good story?

:-)

Funt Solo

For the record, and if that mighty Betelgusian is anywhere within earshot, I have to offer a rebuttal here:

Despite the fact that I once said "Synnamon should only be on toast, not in the prog", I did enjoy the backstory that was presented in Book II.  I'm a sucker for any kind of freedom fighting pastiche that is in any way reminiscent (sp?) of the Terminator movies (in flash-forward mode).

I absolutely loved Bison, in the same way I absolutely loved Family.  It was gritty noir in the style of Ellroy.  I still don't understand what anyone had against either of these stories (but it's all swings and roundabouts, innit?)

From what I can gather, nobody realised it was King in Breathing Space until last week and now people are decrying (sp?) it as predictable.  There have been some confusing sections of art (where I don't think it was the intention) that broke up the flow for me as a reader, but I love the setting and the style of the piece.

Comparing it to Wagner and Mills on top form is hardly just, methinks.  I will compare it to recent Robo-Hunter and pitch that it's an order of magnitude better than that.

Moving to Leatherjack, it's an order of magnitude better than the sprawling ennui that Atavar became.  

For me, the prog is running on an all time high for this year.  2 modern classics, 1 near-miss, 1 fantasy rollercoaster and some filler does not a bad prog make.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

paulvonscott

I should add I'm not kicking off steam by jumping on some Anti-Breathing Space bandwagon.  it's taken two strips (Mandroid and Savage Book II) that have really engaged this year me to make me realise that the writing on most other strips, just doesn't do it for me.

Breathing Space is an OK strip, though it lost me an episode or two back, and this revelation with all its last minute clues (which I still don't understand) has just left me a bit stumped.  But I wouldn't say Breathing Space was a below par strip in the comic, and I certainly wouldn't single it out.

Trout

I certainly wouldn't single it out

I would.

There's worse than Breathing Space around, but it's the most disappointing element of the comic, IMO, because it promised so much and delivered so little.

But I'm goingto give it a re-read this week, before the final part, in the hope I can pick it up again.

- Trout

Funt Solo

Oh, here's a thing:  so what's up with King, then?  He's obviously been under some kind of mind control - and the only Dreddverse thing I can think of (beyond Psi-influence) is the magic SLD-89 (?) that PJ Maybe uses to carry out most of his crimes.

So, what's the sketch?  How was he controlled?  If he didn't actually have an affair with a judge, then why did all the other judges think he had?  Or was it just him that thought it was another judge, and everyone else knew all along it was just an un-judicial liason?

Is the daughter a Psi?
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Trout

I read it that he was bonkers.

Hmmm. Perhaps the problem with Breathing Space is that I'm too stupid to follow it?

I'll re-read it later. To the boxroom!

Banners

He's obviously been under some kind of mind control...

Eh? Are we reading the same strip? I'm not really sure what is going on. Doesn't this week's Prog reveal Goddard as the killer, not King...?!?

It seems to me that this is exactly the problem with BS - there is nothing obvious about any of it. Whilst there are enjoyable sections (when you understood the bike chase it was very cool) and an interesting protagonist, trying to make sense of the story is hard work.

To be fair, like Trout I shall give it another go in one fell swoop when the strip wraps up. I was similarly non-plussed by Cabs Inc. until I did that.

But until then, I'm reckoning it's just a case of a good story, badly told.

M@

LARF

"To the boxroom"

Is this when you appear minutes later donned in a cape and cowl, slide down the bannister and drop into the Troutmobile?

WoD

For what it's worth...my two pennies are as follows;

Dredd/Mandroid - really nice.  Art is excellent, love this style. story good too.  Hope it comes to something different at the end though, not just a Mandroid - Dredd face-off...that would be too dissapointing as it would have only two outcomes..

Savage is good, but I don't think its certain he got the right man...and didn't the waiter look a bit suspicious...SETUP...

Leatherjack I like but it's lost it a little this week for me.

terror tale - a bit pants.  Liked the art, but it seemed to be a story strapped on to a little idea...

Breathing space - hmm...that's convoluted isn't it...

The Amstor Computer

I really hope Savage doesn't end with his capture in the Green Zone, though there is a suggestion that's where we're headed. It would be a bit disappointing if the first two "books" ended with Bill in the same position.]

That said, after his handling of the marvellous sequence with Savage & Vashkov this week, I'm trusting Pat to pull off something special for the final episode...

Trout

Larf, the Troutmobile awaits the scrap merchant, who is stupid enough to have promised me ?40 for it.

On Saturday, a new Troutmobile will be born!
It's also shite. :-)

Queen Firey-Bou

mmmm, so i'm the only person in the multi verse thats not a great savage fan then?   tho i like the art , & the expressions on peoples faces, the way it creates tensions between them is pure brilliant. prehaps if the lettering was all in cyrillic?   runs & hides, late to dingwall on account of being a raunchy firefighter in the small hours.

dosfor zhehn, minya zaghut Bou. minya misha cofyah.

( actuallu, anyone know where i can get a cyrillic font? not 'soviet' but real cyrillic, i'm learning russian see, & its shit not being able to read or write it, spasiba )

Funt Solo

I can't link to it because the site is gone, but look up "troutmobile" on google-images and check out the fourth picture on the top row.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Trout

Fate: heh, heh, heh.

Perhaps I shall make a Troutmobile later!