Main Menu

The Complete Zenith

Started by James Stacey, 29 May, 2013, 12:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dweezil2

Finally got my mitts on it........and it's gorgeous!

Well done Tharg and team!     :thumbsup:   :)
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Spikes

So, for those that now have this weighty tome, what's the repro like? Pretty good?

hippynumber1

Very nice I thought! Crisp art, slighty 'smudgy' colour on the 2 pages that appeared on the back page of the prog from Phase I but, other than that, beautiful.

Buttonman

Number 255 for me - was hoping for 1, 1000 or (alternative) 666 but you take your chances. Lovely book, nice weight, shine and colours. Don't want to break its back and it will probably remain in its virgin state for many moons.

I'm on an Amazon Prime trial too as I was needing a new camera for a wedding and it is good but as has been said how many things do you have to have next day? To totally explot it I've started my Christmas shopping and got new running shoes and DVD+Rs but I doubt I'll sign on beyond the trial.

Grey M@a

Mine arrived last night and left with a neighbour. Collected it and then had to go to work due to on-call.

Was planning on reading it tonight and again on-call xD Just opened it, I have number 46 of 1000, it looks great, great package, only read small parts of Zenith so 80% of this will be all new material to me :D

My thing for hard backs and not having the dust covers on them, I was glad to see that the actual Hard cover has a design on it and just the title of the book embossed in it like most Marvel/DC.

Good job on the book lads.

Just back in again from on-call so I am hoping I will get time tomorrow to sit down and start chugging through it.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Buttonman on 09 October, 2013, 08:55:36 PMI'm on an Amazon Prime trial too as I was needing a new camera for a wedding and it is good but as has been said how many things do you have to have next day?
The problem I found with it was that I didn't get an awful lot of stuff next-day. In fact, Play.com (which was still trading at the time) was faster with its free postage in December than Amazon Prime was. I know other people who've had a much better experience, so it's obviously quite variable. Compared to the US, though, where you also get a ton of streaming video for the price, it's a crappy deal.

Greg M.

My copy has arrived - no. 165. 100-quid-worth of high-quality wonderfulness. I had forgotten just how good zzzzenith.com is - the joke about [spoiler]Eddie being freeze-dried[/spoiler] is inspired. Those 8 pages are better than pretty much the whole of Phase 4 (which is still good, but you can kinda tell Grant wasn't quite as into it by that point.)

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

Quote from: Greg M. on 10 October, 2013, 05:55:56 PM
My copy has arrived - no. 165. 100-quid-worth of high-quality wonderfulness. I had forgotten just how good zzzzenith.com is - the joke about [spoiler]Eddie being freeze-dried[/spoiler] is inspired. Those 8 pages are better than pretty much the whole of Phase 4 (which is still good, but you can kinda tell Grant wasn't quite as into it by that point.)

If only to show that hard-core Zenith fans don't always agree,  I have to say I love phase IV, it's an improvement on III in my view, which I love almost as much. It's only possible for me to tell Morrison had lost enthusiasm from reading interviews with him.

zzzzenith.com, however, was a piece of sh*t. Some sort of parody, with no jokes, I don't count it as part of Zenith.

Greg M.

Yeah, I remembered that you totally hated zzzzenith.com - I love it. The bit with Eddie cracks me up - "I've just about turned straight with boredom, waiting for you!" had me laughing out loud as I read it. I do like Phase IV - it has some great bits - but to a certain extent it feels like a really protracted future shock over fifteen episodes (albeit with a really good twist.) It is difficult (maybe impossible) for me to separate what Grant said in interviews from my experience of reading Phase IV, and maybe the fact he described it as the 'most boring' Zenith story has coloured my opinion. For me, it's the one that seems most workman-like: a story he had to tell, and which he tells in a solid manner, but without so many of the inspired little touches and moments that make I-III so memorable.

robert_ellis

The COMPLETE Zenith is beautiful and some of the best design and reproduction I've seen. But it isn't complete. where's the pin-up of robot Archie? Where's the pin up from 534 and where's the "a midsummer's night scene" from the sci fi special? Complete? Perhaps the soft covers will print them!

Skullmo

It's a joke. I was joking.

Dunk!

Nothing this end and others in my town received theirs days ago.  :(

Fear it going to my company (which recently went into liquidation) address maybe a contributing factor.

Other deliveries are getting through, Yodel!
"Trust we"

credo

Quote from: robert_ellis on 10 October, 2013, 09:03:59 PM
The COMPLETE Zenith is beautiful and some of the best design and reproduction I've seen. But it isn't complete. where's the pin-up of robot Archie? Where's the pin up from 534 and where's the "a midsummer's night scene" from the sci fi special? Complete? Perhaps the soft covers will print them!

I wonder if these were left out for copyright reasons? Robot Archie can be used in strip as a form of parody (?) but a straight-up starscan might infringe copyright. The mock polaroids from "a midsummer's night scene" include one of Zenith dedicating an autograph to a partially obscured "Grant and Steve". Could Mr Morrison have had legitimate grounds to complain on the use of his own likeness?

There's another starscan from the 1200s or thereabouts that's missing, showing "Great Moments from 2000ad" that includes a redraw of Zenith punching a hole in Masterman.

robert_ellis

I'd love to see that pin-up/star scan of the punch - can anyone help with an prog number?

Link Prime

Quote from: Skullmo on 11 October, 2013, 01:48:48 AM
:( Still nothing :(

Me neither...was really looking forward to reading it this weekend.