Main Menu

Morrison's Batman and Robin getting an extended run

Started by Colin YNWA, 09 December, 2009, 04:24:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Oh, dear. I actually couldn't read Return of Bruce Wayne #4 -- the artist attempts perspectives with gusto but, unfortunately, doesn't appear to have actually bothered to find out how they work. Now, he may have been attempting a hallucinatory feel, in which case he's succeeded, but the result is that any time he attempts to convey depth, the perspective is simply wrong and it makes my brain hurt.

Very rare that an art job completely interferes with my ability to read a comic, but this one has managed it.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

I, Cosh

Yeah, it was a pretty terrible issue. Thanks to Jim for explaining why as my analysis was: "this art's shite."
We never really die.

Colin YNWA

Damnit, not seen the issue yet but heard similar things from other sources to make me think there's little hope for this issue AND Batman meets Jonah Hex in it written by Grant Morrison... I mean this is set up to be the perfect comic for me and it might be blown... dagnabbit.

Emperor

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 07 August, 2010, 10:41:01 AM
Oh, dear. I actually couldn't read Return of Bruce Wayne #4 -- the artist attempts perspectives with gusto but, unfortunately, doesn't appear to have actually bothered to find out how they work. Now, he may have been attempting a hallucinatory feel, in which case he's succeeded, but the result is that any time he attempts to convey depth, the perspective is simply wrong and it makes my brain hurt.

Very rare that an art job completely interferes with my ability to read a comic, but this one has managed it.

He had to step in when Cameron Stewart couldn't cover the issue (which is a BIG pity), some of the comments on the announcement are worth reading:

http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2010/06/02/artistic-change-on-batman-the-return-of-bruce-wayne-4/
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

TordelBack

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 07 August, 2010, 10:41:01 AM

Phew, I thought it was just me!  I put it down thinking 'ah well, there goes my longest ever spell of enjoying Batman'.  This was actually my first exposure to Jonah Hex, and I thought I must be missing something because it was incoherent bordering on the ghastly.   A shame, but I do feel for the guy if he was just parachuted in at the last minute.  

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: TordelBack on 08 August, 2010, 07:18:59 PM
A shame, but I do feel for the guy if he was just parachuted in at the last minute. 

Well, no -- you either understand how perspective works, or you don't. Doesn't take any longer to get it right than it does to get it wrong, and you only get as wrong as this guy if you didn't understand it in the first place. Short deadline? You cheat, you fudge, you draw the BGs in as silhouettes or outlines, but this chap doesn't know where to put a vanishing point, and I don't think you've got any right to call yourself an artist at all in that case.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: TordelBack on 08 August, 2010, 07:18:59 PM
This was actually my first exposure to Jonah Hex, and I thought I must be missing something because it was incoherent bordering on the ghastly.   

If this is as bad as people are saying DON'T let it stand as your judgement of Jonah Hex as a character. This current series is an absolute joy, its the only book my wife reads regularly and is completely accessible, most stories, though not all, being done in one's. Pick it up and get a better perspective on Jonah... see what I did there...

... oh you did...

...still not laughi...

...I'll leave via the back...

Colin YNWA

TordelBack

Morrison and Paquette on Batman the Franchise. This I could buy.  Would every batcave look the same, like Starbucks?  

Colin YNWA

Quote from: TordelBack on 11 August, 2010, 12:57:13 AM
Morrison and Paquette on Batman the Franchise. This I could buy.  Would every batcave look the same, like Starbucks?  

Well as long has thney have those Bat Cinnoman Rolls who cares!

Tiplodocus

Just picked up 13 and must confess, I haven't a clue what is going on in the first 3 pages with Thomas Wayne etc.  but after that it's cracking stuff.

I didn't think I'd like Frazer doing Batman art but it is actually rather lovely.

Really enjoyed the Pirate Return of Bruce Wayne but not so much the bendy wild west one (not just the art, I think it works better when you see more of Bruce rather than " a dick in the shadows".
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Professor Bear

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 10 August, 2010, 07:15:34 PM
A little more about 'Batman Inc' from CBR here

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2010/08/morrison-on-batman-inc-team-ups-and-that-yellow-circle/

Yellow oval debate, on your mark, get set... GO

"You made it through years of shitty writing but the yellow oval is a game-breaker?"
American comic book fans commenting on change in their books should be made into a spectator sport:

Colin YNWA

Phew didn't dislike 'Return of Bruce Wayne' #4 as much as others here. Maybe a case of forewarned is forearmed and I was braced for the art. Have to say it wasn't good art and a shame that a series thats otherwise been so well served on the art front is a little let down but as the Emperor pointed he was a last minute adjustment. The biggest problem for me with the not so pretty pictures was a lack of consistency in how characters were drawn and really that was meant to be Vandal Savage was it! Wow.

The story still shone through though and was really enjoyable. Lots of nice little hints and clues about whats going on and overall since I was prepared for the book to look terrible I really still enjoyed it.

Emperor

if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Colin YNWA

Wow a beauty indeed. Variant covers bug the hell out of me as a reader but they do mean you get to look at more pretty pictures.