Main Menu

The Commissions Thread

Started by hippynumber1, 13 July, 2013, 10:50:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dog Deever

Love that- and me as a MENTAL zombie describes the last two years to a T- so much so, I think I might commission that T-shirt.
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

Simon Beigh

Love that John Cooper commish, Mark. Such a distinctive style. I wish I owned more of this work...

And CF - you killed Tharg! Or someone killed Tharg anyway... Now who will hold the Thrill-Suckers at bay?!!

Spikes

And all thanks to Mark, and of course to John Cooper, i now have this commission based on the Last Invader story from Prog 298-99. Really pleased that John could re-visit this story (a particular fave Post-Apocalypse War story). I asked John to create a image that didnt actually appear in the story - Engels getting the drop on Dredd, as a kinda nod to those covers that sort of implied stuff that never appeared in the actual strip. And John's cover to Prog 298 sort of felt like that - to me at any rate. And pleased with the results!

Now i must admit that i used to be slightly sniffy about John Cooper, basically because he took over from the mighty Joe Colquhoun on Johnny Red - a particular fave of mine. How dare he!  :-[

But ive since learnt the error of my ways, and over the years ive come to see that period of 2000ad that featured the new bright things alongside old school talent as the best time.

Simon Beigh

Lovely John Cooper, JJ. You and the Hipster have got a couple of cracking pieces there. And I think I even remember this story too from my CCF recent read!

Ah, the Johnny Red debate... Well, I came to Battle in about 1981-ish and I think Cooper had already taken over drawing duties then - so his style is my Johnny Red.

Sideshow Bob

A lovely commission there Judge Jack.... :D

Cheers
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890

ThryllSeekyr

I would like to know how I would go about commissioning a competent-professional artist to draw my character for the Werewolf forum game here, Seneca Rises!

Which I mentioned earlier on the Games thread here!

You might like to read about it there to get some idea of what it's about and look at the other peoples art I've put up there to see what I like already.

I'm quite willing to pay artists for this.

I will give a accurate character description and send some other pictures I've been using for guide lines to anyone that agrees they want to do this.

Love to do this myself, but my own art skills were never really developed and if they ever were. They've gone rusty.

hippynumber1

Pick an artist who you would like to draw your character and then approach them - facebook or artist's own website would probably be easiest.  Some artists will only take on characters they've helped create while others will give anything a go so be prepared for disappointment! Alternatively, and probably a damn sight cheaper, would be to have a look at the art competition threads on here and ask one of the very talented folk who enter if they'd be interested...

ThryllSeekyr

How much money do you think I will be parting with?

hippynumber1

Again, that depends on who you pick and what you want.  I know, for eg, that Leigh Gallagher will do a single figure, A4, no background for £55 (if he'd take it on) while McMahon starts at £250 (and he wouldn't do it anyway!) Guys on here? Who knows...

Simon Beigh

ThryllSeeker - if you don't particularly mind about it being a published artist, post a link to your brief on the Creative Commons Board and a rough description of what you want - see if anyone is willing to give you a quote to take it on.

If Leigh Gallagher would take it on, he'd be very good at this sort of subject I would think, and his commission prices aren't astronomical... Trouble with droids is that if Tharg comes calling, then commissions hit the "To Do" pile pretty quick and you could be waiting months before you get it.

ThryllSeekyr

I was reading through the rules when I read this one and I might have hit a wall.......

QuoteBusiness and Money

Please don't hire, lease, sell or buy stuff in this forum. You've got the classifieds forum for that if people are really interested in your work.

Further to that, this is not a recruiting zone endorsed by 2000 AD or Rebellion. Posting your work here does not qualify as a submission to 2000 AD, although you can find details of how best to do that on the 2000 AD Submissions page.

That's sound a bit like what I want to do.

I would like to hire a artist. I think it says No! I can't do this here and that I should go to the Classifieds Forum if I want to hire a Artist?

Is that correct?

:-\

Simon Beigh

It does a bit, yes. I mean, it doesn't quite fit, but it's not worth incurring the wrath of the Mods for.

Does sound like the Classifieds is your best bet...

Sideshow Bob

Hi ThryllSeekr,
I would have a think about what hippynumber1 or SimeonB advise........
Posting a short brief in the Classifieds Section would probably be best on here, or if you have seen an artist on this forum whose work you really like ( and there are loads of great artists on here ) and feel he or she would be best suited for your brief,  just get in touch via a pm and ask.....
Otherwise,  visit your favourite artists' blog or facebook page and ask.......

I got my commission done,  via this forum after seeing Bob Molesworths' artwork in the March Art competition,  and got in touch via a pm and arranged it from there....
I also know that if you have a particular artist in mind,  several members on this forum can put you in touch with them.....
Good luck and looking forward to seeing the 'end result'....
Cheers
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: hippynumber 1 on 03 August, 2013, 02:37:16 PM
Again, that depends on who you pick and what you want.  I know, for eg, that Leigh Gallagher will do a single figure, A4, no background for £55 (if he'd take it on) while McMahon starts at £250 (and he wouldn't do it anyway!) Guys on here? Who knows...

Leigh Gallager you say, and the artist turns out to be a guy. Though, I was looking at pictures of a comely woman signing Defoe graphic novels with Pat Mills and thought the artist was her.

I would like to get that straight before asking, though. It could be big social faux-pas to get that wrong.

Leigh Gallagher? Not really sure about them, though your quote of spending just $55 sound right to me ;)

Mike McMahon! Now getting a famed Slaine artist like him or the well known Slaine artists to do the work for me would be a dream come true. Though, alas no he won't, you say :( Anyway, I would be too afraid to pull them away from art duties on Slaine: Book of Scars!

Quote from: SimeonB 03 August, 2013, 02:45:46 PMThryllSeeker - if you don't particularly mind about it being a published artist, post a link to your brief on the Creative Commons Board and a rough description of what you want - see if anyone is willing to give you a quote to take it on.

If Leigh Gallagher would take it on, he'd be very good at this sort of subject I would think, and his commission prices aren't astronomical... Trouble with droids is that if Tharg comes calling, then commissions hit the "To Do" pile pretty quick and you could be waiting months before you get it.

Again Leigh Gallagher, you say they might like to draw Werewolves :)

Have they done so already?

Are there Werewolves in Defoe as well?

Been looking at their artist blog and what's this?

Looks like Rupert Giles the Watcher from Buffy the Vampire Slayer

I've also been wondering if it 's true they did the full colour covers for Defoe as well as the interior. To be polite about their work! I say the covers look better.

I actually got this graphic novel and the other one, but haven't read them yet!

Quote from: SimeonB on 03 August, 2013, 07:10:33 PM
It does a bit, yes. I mean, it doesn't quite fit, but it's not worth incurring the wrath of the Mods for.

Does sound like the Classifieds is your best bet...

Classifieds then ;)

Quote from: Sideshow Bob 03 August, 2013, 07:24:00 PMHi ThryllSeekr,
I would have a think about what hippynumber1 or SimeonB advise........
Posting a short brief in the Classifieds Section  would probably be best on here, or if you have seen an artist on this forum whose work you really like ( and there are loads of great artists on here ) and feel he or she would be best suited for your brief,  just get in touch via a pm and ask.....
Otherwise,  visit your favourite artists' blog or facebook page and ask.......

I got my commission done,  via this forum after seeing Bob Molesworths' artwork in the March Art competition,  and got in touch via a pm and arranged it from there....
I also know that if you have a particular artist in mind,  several members on this forum can put you in touch with them.....

Good luck and looking forward to seeing the 'end result'....
Cheers

Right, I'll go pin my request up in Classifieds then :D

Richmond Clements

I don't mind admitting it: I'm crying with laughter.