Main Menu

FINAL!!! Favourite CURRENT art droid D’Israeli or Colin MacNeil

Started by Colin YNWA, 10 February, 2021, 06:27:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

Colin YNWA

Almost done folks - but you have today - last day of the tourney - to vote on this one and I'll count up in the morning. Wow hard to believe this will all be over... well almost...

Bolt-01

Oh sneck, as if today wasn't bad enough I have to make 'this' decision?

Normally when faced with things like this I firmly believe that you know what the answer is almost instantly, and no matter how long you spend prevaricating you know where you will eventually get to (see also which of my offspring I would eat first) but this time I didn't get that little voice whisper a name to me.

D'Israeli.

Damn you for making me do this.

I, Cosh

I had planned to try and write some longer posts for these last couple of rounds but ran out of steam. Sorry about that.

Anyway, this final belongs to the restless, refined, refulgent, relentlessly reinventive Renaissance robot that is... D'Israeli.
We never really die.

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

BANG - SHOWER OF MORE TINSEL - ANOTHER GIANT TROPHY - CROWD GOES WILD AGAIN

Well here we have a giant killer in a vote against the artist who was for me at least is the other favourite in this tournement and here there was no surprise as

COLIN MacNEIL

Is our favourite current artist and I have to say its no great surprise.

What does surprise me is quite how much Colin MacNeil has flexed and changed his style so much over the years. From the early learning we saw on the page. To the mastery of clean, bloody, painted colour work that culminated in one of the - if not the - greatest Dredd story ever in 'America'. But he moved on to developed to a tighter more 'traditional' pen and link line style. Then painterly greytones in Insurrection and lately to a much more high contrast, bold line style - that I personally feel is the absolute hieght of his work. He defines getting better and better.

Each of these styles though - and I'm sure I've missed some - has been so comfortable on the eye, while displaying incredible action and violence and curiously the all remain so very Colin MacNeil, each has been so different and each is so recognisable as him and I've never understood how he does that. Its an incredible talent used so well and kept so fresh.

We are very lucky to still have him in our pages and long may that continue. Thank you Colin.

We mustn't forget Matt Brooker - D'Israeli though. He pulled in many a vote here and has had an astonishing run. The wonder of his work is its so individual, so distinct and idiosyncratic and yet here so uniformly loved. Some more conservative groups on social media seem to react against that individualism - here its so great to see that stunning, creative, imaginative style embraced so totally. Is there any thing the mighty Matt Brooker can't draw and draw with a stunning energy? And judging by what he's done the answer is no!

And there we have to utterly wonderful and deserving finalists and we're don... what... would would win between the Classic and the Current... well that's an interesting question, shall we dip our toes in there...

BPP

But really, it was Henry Flint.

(Colin is great obvs, and an absolute gent at conventions).
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Rogue Judge

Pleased Colin MacNeil took it, well deserved! I agree that his current work in the Prog has been some of his very best.

I'm glad I didn't have to vote between MacNeil and Flint...definitely the top two!