Main Menu

Lawless 2024

Started by GoGilesGo, 17 December, 2023, 08:21:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trooper McFad

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 29 January, 2024, 09:33:24 AMI'm booked for the weekend also and will see you guys there!

It'd be fantastic to meet any other forum-goers should you attend.

Fantastic stuff Boots see you there 👍🏻
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Jim_Campbell

I'll be mooching around all weekend, making the place look untidy. As usual, I don't have a table — just look out for The Gothest Man In The Room™, and that will almost certainly be me. And 'The Room' will almost certainly be the bar. :)

Although I'm not tabling, I am a guest, so if you want anything signing or just want to say hello, please do. Don't worry about interrupting if it looks like I'm talking to someone — they'll probably be delighted for an opportunity to make their escape...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Trooper McFad

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 29 January, 2024, 11:30:42 AMI'll be mooching around all weekend, making the place look untidy. As usual, I don't have a table — just look out for The Gothest Man In The Room™, and that will almost certainly be me. And 'The Room' will almost certainly be the bar. :)

Although I'm not tabling, I am a guest, so if you want anything signing or just want to say hello, please do. Don't worry about interrupting if it looks like I'm talking to someone — they'll probably be delighted for an opportunity to make their escape...
I've definitely seen you mooching about 😂😂😂😂

Le Fink

I have weekend tickets for my first ever comic con. La Fink will be in Bristol too but won't be attending the Con. Will be good to put some faces to names, looking forward to meeting some fellow boarders.

If you have any tips on where to stay, do share.

Does it really start at 9am?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Le Fink on 31 January, 2024, 07:21:11 PMDoes it really start at 9am?

Ish. That relies on the comic creators actually getting out of bed, having breakfast, and getting their tables set up by 9:00. If there's an early panel you want to see, check the programme and be there in time for that, but, otherwise, you won't miss anything if you don't get there until mid-morning. :)

Le Fink

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 31 January, 2024, 07:37:52 PM
Quote from: Le Fink on 31 January, 2024, 07:21:11 PMDoes it really start at 9am?

Ish. That relies on the comic creators actually getting out of bed, having breakfast, and getting their tables set up by 9:00. If there's an early panel you want to see, check the programme and be there in time for that, but, otherwise, you won't miss anything if you don't get there until mid-morning. :)
Good to know, thanks Jim!

Trooper McFad

Le Fink - Being your first con you won't have anything to compare it with however for me it's the best I've been at. I've been at a few larger ones that have the TV and film stars but they are not a patch on this (in my view) and what I hear the other smaller ones are just as good.

I have to say my first Lawless I was "star struck" even more so than the 40th bash. I don't know why a man in his late 40s at the time should be like this but the friendly nature of the whole thing puts you at ease very quickly.
Maybe it's all the Cosplayers milling about?

As Jim says it never starts dead on 9:00 - not the times I've been.

The panels are great and varied- one not to miss if they have it is the Artist Draw off.

Remember to post on here any distinguishing features/clothing so you can be spotted in the crowd.

As for accommodation if you have a lot to get signed and your budget allows I'd recommend the Hilton so you can keep returning to the room but there's a few others well within walking distance I've heard are pretty decent price wise.

Le Fink

Quote from: Trooper McFad on 31 January, 2024, 09:28:48 PMLe Fink - Being your first con you won't have anything to compare it with however for me it's the best I've been at. I've been at a few larger ones that have the TV and film stars but they are not a patch on this (in my view) and what I hear the other smaller ones are just as good.

I have to say my first Lawless I was "star struck" even more so than the 40th bash. I don't know why a man in his late 40s at the time should be like this but the friendly nature of the whole thing puts you at ease very quickly.
Maybe it's all the Cosplayers milling about?

As Jim says it never starts dead on 9:00 - not the times I've been.

The panels are great and varied- one not to miss if they have it is the Artist Draw off.

Remember to post on here any distinguishing features/clothing so you can be spotted in the crowd.

As for accommodation if you have a lot to get signed and your budget allows I'd recommend the Hilton so you can keep returning to the room but there's a few others well within walking distance I've heard are pretty decent price wise.
Thanks for the info Troop. Sounds great, looking forward to it!

I have greeny-brown skin, a wicked smile, and will be accompanied by a rodent - hope that helps.

(Actually I thought I'd wear a Fink T-Shirt)

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Trooper McFad on 31 January, 2024, 09:28:48 PMI have to say my first Lawless I was "star struck" even more so than the 40th bash. I don't know why a man in his late 40s at the time should be like this but the friendly nature of the whole thing puts you at ease very quickly.

Ahh, that never really goes away, in my experience. I've been a full-time professional in the industry for fifteen years and there are still always creators at cons I'd love to talk to, but completely bottle it.

Barrington Boots

At my first Lawless I bottled talking to Jim!

It'll be awesome to meet you Fink.

As McFad says staying at the Hilton is great if you can as its so convenient, especially if you plan on buying anything. I think there's a Novotel and  Holiday Inn within easy walking distance too.
Traffic is Bristol is pretty awful, so if you're coming down on the day, make an early start: last year I missed the first couple of hours more or less due to that.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

GoGilesGo

Quote from: Le Fink on 31 January, 2024, 07:21:11 PMLa Fink will be in Bristol too but won't be attending the Con.

Same for me: I can convince the Mrs to come to Bristol but it might be a stretch to ask her to forego shopping and lunch with her mates to come and watch Glenn Fabry doodling. Ho hum, her loss.

Quote from: Le Fink on 31 January, 2024, 07:21:11 PMIf you have any tips on where to stay, do share.

I have a compted hotel night so will be staying at the Marriott Royal, same as last year. It's a 15 minute walk away across the canal and Queen Square which, if the weather is as nice as '23, is a lovely way to see the city and not far to go if you need to pop back and drop off books or sketches. Doubletree Hilton is of course the ultimate location. Su and team are usually able to get a decent deal on rooms.

Le Fink

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 01 February, 2024, 09:11:41 AMAt my first Lawless I bottled talking to Jim!

It'll be awesome to meet you Fink.

As McFad says staying at the Hilton is great if you can as its so convenient, especially if you plan on buying anything. I think there's a Novotel and  Holiday Inn within easy walking distance too.
Traffic is Bristol is pretty awful, so if you're coming down on the day, make an early start: last year I missed the first couple of hours more or less due to that.
Thanks for the tips Boots, looking forward to meeting you and everyone else. I'm coming from Dorset and will probably be travelling by train. The drive to Bristol is not great. Fingers crossed there's no train strike.

Le Fink

Quote from: GoGilesGo on 01 February, 2024, 12:43:32 PM
Quote from: Le Fink on 31 January, 2024, 07:21:11 PMLa Fink will be in Bristol too but won't be attending the Con.

Same for me: I can convince the Mrs to come to Bristol but it might be a stretch to ask her to forego shopping and lunch with her mates to come and watch Glenn Fabry doodling. Ho hum, her loss.

Quote from: Le Fink on 31 January, 2024, 07:21:11 PMIf you have any tips on where to stay, do share.

I have a compted hotel night so will be staying at the Marriott Royal, same as last year. It's a 15 minute walk away across the canal and Queen Square which, if the weather is as nice as '23, is a lovely way to see the city and not far to go if you need to pop back and drop off books or sketches. Doubletree Hilton is of course the ultimate location. Su and team are usually able to get a decent deal on rooms.

OK thanks Giles, I'll look into those

Barrington Boots

Garth Ennis added to the guest list!
You're a dark horse, Boots.