Main Menu

Eurogamer retrospective on Rogue Trooper...

Started by GordonR, 02 September, 2012, 07:56:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GordonR

...the 2006 Rebellion game (wot I done wrote). Good to see it so fondly remembered, and some interesting commentry on there sadly having been no other 2000AD games since then.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-09-02-retrospective-rogue-trooper

Keef Monkey

Nice, I loved Rogue Trooper and have been thinking lately it's time for a revisit. Playing that was one of my fondest memories from the last generation of gaming, sitting down to it on launch day and seeing that it just nailed the source material in a way that made it a real joy to play through. Seriously, thinking about playing through the quartz zone massacre level with the wormhole looming in the skybox gives me nostalgic chills.

In fact, I know many folks (that writer included) are desperate for other 2000AD properties to be given games, but I think I'd possibly be more excited if they announced a sequel to this.

Tiplodocus

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

shaolin_monkey

Yep, brilliant game - totally nailed everything: the story, the combat, the variety of approaches to each level, the bickering between Bagman, Helm and Gunnar, the salvage and weapons upgrades etc etc.  Love it - I still have a copy for my old Xbox, the re-release on the Wii, and on the PC.  It plays beautifully in nVidia 3D Vision (except the sniper scope).

Proudhuff

Its the last game I cared enough about to finish, some cracking thoughts in the article: a Supersurf with Chopper through MC1? now that I would finish.
DDT did a job on me

WhizzBang

Another thumbs up. I bought and completed it on the XBox and then bought it again years later for the Wii.

Pete Wells

Yeah, gonna replay this on my Xbox360 at the weekend!

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Pete Wells on 04 September, 2012, 08:24:47 PM

Does it run on 360? If that's the case
I might seek it out. Actually already own it on PS2 and wii, but setting up the PS2 is a right hassle and I wasn't as keen on the controls on the wii.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 04 September, 2012, 09:56:36 PM
Quote from: Pete Wells on 04 September, 2012, 08:24:47 PM

Does it run on 360? If that's the case
I might seek it out. Actually already own it on PS2 and wii, but setting up the PS2 is a right hassle and I wasn't as keen on the controls on the wii.

I think you need to download a patch from Xbox Live, if I remember correctly, but it does run, as does Dredd Vs Death.

Taryn Tailz

The Rogue Trooper game was excellent. A perfect bringing to life of the comic strip. For my thoughts on the game theres a review on the following link:

http://britcitreviews.wordpress.com/category/games/

Squidbot

Loved this game SO much, and also had friends who thoroughly enjoyed it without any prior knowledge of Rogue.
Would love to see some more 2000AD classics this well done. A Mass Effect RPG for Johnny Alpha would melt my brain.
And how about Mean Arena sports game?

Mr Walter the Wobot

I also loved this game, had it back in 2007. Remember being amazed at the quality of the graphics, and by how well the designers had incorporated Gunnar et al.

Feeling very tempted to get this on the cheap again, along with Dredd vs Death (a game I've owned twice already!). Think they're both quite cheap for the PS2 these days.  :)

bluemeanie

Grabbed it off Steam last night. Only £6

Only real complaint so far is that the sniper rifle seems a bit weedy. Not expecting the beautiful carnage of Sniper Elite but a decent gunfire crack would help. Of course this may be something that gets fixed with in-game weapon upgrades, only played it for 40 mins or so.

Finding it hard not to compare it with Gears of War which came out on pc a few years after but which I played first but still really enjoying what I've played up till now. FEELS like Rogue Trooper which is all you can ask for

Keef Monkey

It's quite interesting how many elements of Rogue then made it into Gears in a different form, the enemy filled drills bursting from the ground during the Quartz Zone massacre are basically emergence holes for a start.

I remember the game being brilliantly paced, I always felt like each new area sucked me right in. Such a great atmosphere to it all.

GordonR

Gears of War came out in November 2006, six months after the Rogue game. It would have pretty much finished in development when Rogue came out, so it's pretty difficult to see how the Epic guys could have lifted much from the Rebellion game.

In the creative industries, you learn to chalk this kind of coincidence stuff up to "just one of those things".