Main Menu

SCENES FROM THE DREDD SET

Started by JOE SOAP, 24 November, 2011, 12:48:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Beaky Smoochies on 29 November, 2011, 05:24:50 AM
does the entire finished shot count as one fx shot no matter how much different fx work is on it, or does each individual fx component and rendering count as an fx shot in itself, meaning if a finished shot has four or five separate fx elements in it, that counts as four or five fx shots, or does it count as a single finished fx shot unto itself...?

One shot = one shot no matter how many layers are added to that shot.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Beaky Smoochies on 29 November, 2011, 05:24:50 AM
Alex Garland has stated in the official Dredd press release last year they're determined to recreate "all the scale and spectacle" of Mega-City One onscreen, which leads me to think a pretty healthy number of the 800 fx shots will be in showing a pretty dense and detailed Big Meg, which is gonna look pretty amazing, I just know it. 

It's the tone of the aesthetic intention that is in question; how 'futurist' the visual intention is. I doubt it will be as showy as the comic but it will be an impressive and detailed sprawl, presumably, which is fine with me.

Michaelvk

Well, from some of the stuff I've seen from Jock, it's very similar to the newer interpretations of MC1.. Canary Wharf on a blend of meth and steroids.
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Michaelvk on 29 November, 2011, 12:40:43 PM
Well, from some of the stuff I've seen from Jock, it's very similar to the newer interpretations of MC1.. Canary Wharf on a blend of meth and steroids.

Is that the early pre-vis stuff Jock did before he was on the film -pictured below- or material he produced after he officially joined production?

dweezil2

With Anthony Dod Mantle as director of photography, I'm convinced the film will look gorgeous.

Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Michaelvk

You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

IAMTHESYSTEM

I hope he hasn't included  >gasp< the Millennium Dome!  Most expensive tent ever built.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Mudcrab

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 30 November, 2011, 11:30:33 AM

I hope he hasn't included  >gasp< the Millennium Dome!  Most expensive tent ever built.

He he, it could be the Aggro-Dome  :D
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Teivion

http://www.thecinematographer.info/articles/124-127-hours-the-eagle-dredd-3d-anthony-dod-mantle-dff-bsc.html

More techy camera stuff...
Quick interview with Anthony Dodd Mantle, Cinematographer on Dredd. Little snippet on the set up, camera rigs etc, and nice to see him compare Dredd to 'BladeRunner and Clockwork Orange'

Hoagy

Quoteunderneath there's a no less entertaining allegorical comment about this kind of cinema and the violence that tends to come with this kind of product

Anyone want to expand on how this is already a subtext within the comics? Or how it may play within the film?
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Fuzzed

From the link above, the Dredd bit -

Q: What can you tell us about Dredd?

ADM: Kevin's brother, producer Andrew MacDonald, approached me a while ago. It's written by Alex Garland, a very astute, creative writer, who I've known since 28 Days Later. It was shot in South Africa on 3D – around 13 weeks principal, and seven weeks 2nd unit photography. It's a dangerous film, in the sense that the story places itself precariously on the floorboards of an action sci-fi genre film whilst underneath there's a no less entertaining allegorical comment about this kind of cinema and the violence that tends to come with this kind of product. Visually we have gone at it hammer and tongues. We shot entirely digitally, in scope, using RED MX cameras and SI2Ks, Phantom Flex highspeed, and multiple rigs shooting at the same time on first and second unit. I built some new cameras rigs that can take you very close to the action. It's won't look so much like the action films we're accustomed to, and the audience won't have things thrust in their faces every five minutes. I hope it will be more painterly. If we get it right, it will be a cross between Blade Runner and Clockwork Orange.

Don't have a clue on the allegorical - too deep for me - but I love his use of the words 'dangerous' and 'hammer and tongues' - although isn't that supposed to be tongs? - but still, tongues work too *g* - ... what was I saying? Seriously, in one paragraph that's very techy and vague-ish elsewise, he's still managed to reassure me and get me even more hyped up.

Thank you, Dod.

dracula1

Now that's a huge comparison to two of the greatest films ever made. If 'Dredd' can achieve even an iota of the kind of quality of these films l'd be extremely happy.

M.I.K.

A version of that interview has been linked to on here before. I can remember questioning the "hammer and tongues" quote the first time around.

JOE SOAP

Storyboard sample for Lawmaster chase scene:

Psidude

Cheers joe I think you need paying for doing most of the PR for the film