Main Menu

Prog 1827 - Heavy Metal Headbang!

Started by JamesC, 06 April, 2013, 09:53:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

M.I.K.

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 11 April, 2013, 10:36:57 PM
Anyone think the good doctor in Stickleback is related to Max Winwood at all?

Nope.

MercZ

Enjoyed the prog. Its got me interested to see where the Dredd storyline goes and I liked the 3hriller's setting.

Spikes

After a slight dip last week, the prog was largely firing on all cylinders this week.
Dredd continues in fine form. Some nice writing from Rennie and Beeby, and liking the art too. Nice little touches abound, in this story.
Another fine episode from Dandridge. After a slowish start, or maybe i just wasnt that familar which the character, this is the strip i most enjoy after Dredd. Thought the 3riller was a really good one - as indeed most of these 3rillers are. Though perhaps it felt a little too compressed? Maybe thats understandable, given the '3 episode only' format.
Stickleback was an enjoyable read this week. And some just superb art from Diz.
And i quite enjoyed Zombo this week. Still not sure about, or can even fathom, this strip, but things seem to be hotting up nicely.

DreddRunner

I love this Dredd storyline.  I am new to reading the progs, and am constantly amazed at how much they can fit in in so few pages.
I am speaking of Dredd solely, as I have only glanced at the other stories so far.   They are very smartly written, and I find myself immersed in them.

I did read the Zombo stories from prog 1825/1826 and found them interesting, but still have to wrap my  head around it.

Dan Banks

What better way to spend a sunday than getting caught up on 2000AD?

Cover

Best cover yet! I can understand some of the reactions to the gore but for me, it is fantastic. I'll even forgive the coppers not really looking like the coppers from the strip because it just looks so badass. I think I am a little biased as well because Dandridge has been on average my favourite strip so far.

Dredd

This one just ramped up a whole lot. Hamida and Dredd working together looks a good partnership. Between Hamida and Pax, Dredd could have some interesting and varied buddy-cop stories coming up. The single plotline is a lot easier to follow and helps to clear up the previous issue for me perfectly. The Jinn looks a right creepy fellow and the notion of being wiped from existence is frightening in itself. Looks like Hamida is almost sympathising with those swayed by the suicide cult. She seems to be struggling with her own loss which is something anyone can relate to. I have a feeling the conclusion to this tale will be quite powerful. One annoyance in this chapter was the overuse of that one line of dialogue, it served a purpose but 9 uses may have been overkill.

Dandridge

Fantastic. This is what I've been waiting for. We get inside Shelleys (decapitated) head, we see Shelleys body destroying some robots, the heros have found the dagger and are closing in on the villain of the piece (sort of, the plot obviously outreaches the mad scientist). "But before I claim victory, we need to think about what I'm going to wear" was a great little line as well, right on the back of Dandridge actually doing some sensible detective work. I'm a big fan of this character and look forward to the rest of the tale.

The Ghostship Mathematica

A new 3hriller and a massive step up. Loved every single panel of this, the plot is right up my alley, the concepts are simple but rendered fantastically. The sight of the Ghostship is really something to behold. Only one chapter in and I'm already hoping that this becomes a recurring story. Glad to see I'm not the only one shouting "More please!"

Stickleback

It's all beginning to fall into place now. This is a good story but not especially 'thrilling' so far. This chapter is entirely exposition but the plot is interesting enough to allow for a moment like this. Enjoyed this in that it has greatly progressed the story but it's probably the weakest strip of this week. Art as always, superb, particularly the crying lobotomized queen. Quite a depressing view of humanity but arguably not far from the truth.

Zombo

Same problems as last week for me. The John Lennon stuff just doesn't quite come off, the rest of it is excellent. It's a bit weird that it took 4 chapters for Zombo to actually get involved as well. A little bit unusual? Still enjoyable but it's losing a bit of steam for me as a new reader.