Main Menu

Intensive lurker decloaks

Started by Third Estate Ned, 17 May, 2011, 10:05:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Third Estate Ned

Hi to all. I've been a fairly intensive lurker of these pages for a few weeks and felt I should pop in and say hi. Also, to say thanks to the posters whose opinions led me to make some purchases. The fact is I feel a little bit silly being interested in all this again as a "grown up", a sensation fuelled by my wife's wordless reactions when she sees words like "Portrait of a Mutant" in the Google bar.

To not pay P&P for something on Amazon I added Slaine Warrior's Dawn based on memories of Mike McMahon's artwork from when it was filler in some Rogue Trooper collection (I think), placed in my hands during a service station break one childhood car journey. When the new book arrived I at first felt embarassed to be reading it and I didn't much like Massimo Belardinelli's art (sorry, but for some reason the faces reminded me of Roy of the Rovers). But the seed of interest has been planted. Or is just nostalgia?

Years ago I had been morbidly fascinated/terrified by my older cousin's 2000AD covers and Iron Maiden posters all over his walls (and team of judges for Warhammer's Blood Bowl). How could something so weird that made no sense be so fully developed and well executed? I joined in on the prog/meg fun in earnest just before the Judgement Day series and stopped when Melody Maker seemed more interesting. By sheer bad luck, from lurking here it seems that people regard this as the worst period ever for the comic. E.g. I liked Khroncles of Khaos best back then, but everyone on here seems to think it is weak.

I've just bought JD CF14 purely based on memories of those Dark Judges covers, along with Dead Man and Slaine The Horned God. If I still like it, I'll probably get the second Strontium Dog collection, since I remember most of the 3rd volume from another one of those summer collection comics. What does anyone think, is the second better than the third or are they pretty much the same quality?

Thanks for reading my rambling.

Greg M.

Quote from: Dr. Dog on 17 May, 2011, 10:05:26 AM
I've just bought JD CF14 purely based on memories of those Dark Judges covers, along with Dead Man and Slaine The Horned God. If I still like it, I'll probably get the second Strontium Dog collection, since I remember most of the 3rd volume from another one of those summer collection comics. What does anyone think, is the second better than the third or are they pretty much the same quality?

Thanks for reading my rambling.

Welcome to the board, and wear your love of thrill-power with pride! As for Strontium Dog, the second and third volumes are both absolutely superb, and it'd be very hard to choose between them. On balance the second is slightly more consistent: highlights would be 'Portrait of a Mutant' (maybe the defining story), 'The Moses Incident' (some of the most atmospheric work Carlos has ever done) and 'Outlaw', whilst the third has 'Slavers of Drule' and 'Rage' in its favour.

Emperor

Welcome. I've sorted you out a whole new thread for you.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Colin YNWA

Welcome aboard and have fun.

Hopefully you'll enjoy you're catch up and heck so what if some of us like this or don't like that. Let us know what you do enjoy and we'll help find ya more.

Proudhuff

You're on the slippery slope to Geekdom now...

welcome
DDT did a job on me

w3bz

...and it is so very slippery....welcome! ;)

SmallBlueThing

Yes, welcome! though i must say, in 2011, it saddens me that people still get 'embarrassed' about reading comics. You should treat them exactly the same as books, magazines or any other media, and be proud of who you are and what you like! i cant remember the last time anyone tried the 'arent you too old for comics?' line on me, but they only did it once. I have zero patience for anyone criticising what i choose to read, and a sharp tongue. Although i do think it'd be great fun to spend a day hanging about in wh smith, sneering 'arent you a bit too intelligent to read that? Or maybe you arent!' at people as they pick up 'hello' or 'loaded' or the daily mail, and take them to the counter. Maybe i'll do that tomorrow.
Anyway, welcome. Be out and proud, brother.
SBT

Third Estate Ned

Thanks for taking my cloak, guys. I suppose the main problem is snobbery. I don't live in the UK anymore and so British culture isn't really present. Talking about comics, some of my friends here who are knowledgable about "serious" literature are really respectful of Hugo Pratt's Corto Maltese. Wanting to champion "my end" as I saw it I showed them Watchmen, but one look at the costumes was all it took to for them to dismiss it as superhero nonsense without worth.

I was already sliding freely down the slope of geekdom before this. I suppose I was worried that it knew no bounds.

Pete Wells

Welcome back Dr Dog! As a proud reader from Prog 1, I'm right with you in the opinion that Khronicles of Khaos story was ace, easily one of my favourite 2000AD thrills ever!

The warriors literally going after the 'heads' of social order was a hoot and the story featured my favourite Kev Walker artwork ever.

Enjoy the forum my friend!

Proudhuff

Quote from: Dr. Dog on 18 May, 2011, 09:30:17 AM
I was already sliding freely down the slope of geekdom before this. I suppose I was worried that it knew no bounds.

You should visit the CF's Cellar of Dredd website/blog to see how bad it can become   ;)
DDT did a job on me

Third Estate Ned

Now that I'm warming to the subject, and going back to what I was saying earlier, does anyone remember a documentary where Colin McNeil (one of my favourite 2000ad artists) was talking about comics and saying that people past a certain age shouldn't really be reading them? I remember I was less taken aback by his comment, to say that comics were his chosen field, than I was by his formal, white-shirted appearance and bald head. I suppose I was expecting someone who resembled his self portrait in the 1993 annual.

I'm pretty sure this wasn't Comics Brittania, although I'm mildly concerned I might have dreamt this now, or just made it up. I can't find anything on Youtube. Anyone know?

Steve Green

Gavin_Leahy_Block