Main Menu

Y'know what really grinds my gears?

Started by Link Prime, 12 April, 2014, 01:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

I keep seeing "Irexit" propaganda now on FB and even had some pamphlets through the letterbox during the GE from some yoke promising the "benefits of freedom from the EU protection racket" which is uhhhhh

Anyway, not sure what the consensus is in The South but from here, Ireland exiting the EU just seems insane and people shilling for it need a slap.

TordelBack

The fash are everywhere. It's still very much a minority opinion, because most of us know which side our bread is buttered, but every Irish comment thread is full of them, busily 'manufacturing consent' like bad'uns. And we do all hate those blacks and muslims with their free houses & cars, which I'm sure is the EU's fault at some level.

JOE SOAP

Same alt-shite network of weirdoes that's operating in other European countries. They have little traction here and even Sinn Féin knew they had to ditch the anti-EU stance since it's poilitical seppuku.

Professor Bear

Immigrants living in fear, mass deportations, strict border enforcement, a rise in hate crimes, a newly-empowered far right, a media openly hostile to lefties and liberals... one day, far in the future when humans have big brains like them Star Trek aliens what does the illusions, someone will finally crack why Brexit seems such an attractive proposition to racists.

JayzusB.Christ

A friend of mine was banging on recently about how the EU has done nothing for Ireland. A farmer's son. Whose newlywed wife is a Venezuelan refugee who got here through a European passport.

Against all the odds, I love the guy and he's a good mate.  The doublethink is strong in him though.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Definitely Not Mister Pops

No one can complete a sentence in new ads now. They have to cut between at least 3 web cams for a dozen words.
You may quote me on that.

TordelBack

Nope, can't do it. The 2000AD Facebook groups are too much for me.  Lots of good people there doing good work making/aggregating good content, but it's surrounded by such an ocean of smug negativity that every visit feels like the start of a peptic ulcer. Why people purport to be part of a fan community and spend their time relentlessly criticising the same creators (and editors), in many cases quite openly without having ever read the thing they harbour such animosity towards, I can't quite grasp.

Obviously they're free to say and think what they want, express their fandom as they please and good luck to them, but I can't be doing with it. Chummy banter I get, shitting on the people who make the thing you claim to love,  I just don't.

von Boom

Quote from: TordelBack on 27 June, 2020, 01:36:23 PM
Nope, can't do it. The 2000AD Facebook groups are too much for me.  Lots of good people there doing good work making/aggregating good content, but it's surrounded by such an ocean of smug negativity that every visit feels like the start of a peptic ulcer. Why people purport to be part of a fan community and spend their time relentlessly criticising the same creators (and editors), in many cases quite openly without having ever read the thing they harbour such animosity towards, I can't quite grasp.

Obviously they're free to say and think what they want, express their fandom as they please and good luck to them, but I can't be doing with it. Chummy banter I get, shitting on the people who make the thing you claim to love,  I just don't.
I've never been a part of Facepuke and stories like this just make me glad I never bothered to get an account.

Robert Frazer

Quote from: Daveycandlish on 12 April, 2014, 01:58:30 PM
Why not even "the 10th of April". After all, I'm not American.

"April 10th" doesn't even make sense. "10th of April" implies "10th [Day] of April" but "April 10th" implies that it's the tenth April, even though there aren't ten months all called April.
Latest Video - The ESSENTIAL Judge Dredd

Funt Solo

Parochial piffle.

Although I find it disconcerting that where I live now when I say "thank-you" people respond with "uh-huh".
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

von Boom

Quote from: Funt Solo on 07 July, 2020, 10:57:03 PM
Parochial piffle.

Although I find it disconcerting that where I live now when I say "thank-you" people respond with "uh-huh".
I've had that. To me it implies that my thank you is not sincerely meant. Or has 'thank you' be become rhetorical and I wasn't informed?

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: TordelBack on 27 June, 2020, 01:36:23 PM

Oh I dropped out a few weeks back. It wasn't even fun in a morbidly curious fashion anymore, watching the same four or five members circle jerk isn't my idea of an open community or a fun time.

Ouroboros indeed.

The Doctor Alt 8

I have had to e mail my MP last week as the Croydon council dept responsible has failed to collect my mothers clinical waste for 4 WEEKS!  (5 if it isn't collected tomorrow)
Yes we have complained and explained to the relevant dept several times to be met with excuses and the old run around culminating in them explaining that we should now place the clinical waste not outside our door but take it to be collected on the pavement ! (were animals could rip it open) let alone it being an unpleasant trip hazard for people...

Someone last Thursday popped two new clinical waste bags though our letterbox after we explained that we no longer had any left... But they didn't collect the waste.

I am seriously considering posting photo's every day the waste remains on our doorstep n Facebook & twitter to see if we can SHAME the council into doing its bloody job...

I haven't even had the automated "we have received your e mail" from my MP.

The Doctor Alt 8

It hasn't been collected AGAIN! That makes 5 weeks of clinical waste uncollected. Please look for #sharetoshamecroydoncouncil on twitter or look up my facebook post. This is disgusting and I don't think we should up up with it.

Bolt-01

Are you just leaving the clinical waste outside? I hope it is secure from animals etc.

Have you thought about contacting your local GP to see about whether you could drop the waste there for safe disposal?