Main Menu

MEG 325 - Law Machine

Started by LARF, 16 June, 2012, 06:34:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LARF

Not read this yet but just wanted to say what an amazing cover by Chris Weston, fabulously painted, and beautifully proportioned Homage to Akira. Fab!

COMMANDO FORCES

I don't get my copy until Wednesday but I thought I'd bagsie the second post in the thread anyway :D

oshii

Lead story is a homage to Great Expectations from Morrison with nice Dave Taylor art.  Snapshot, Hondo. And Samizdat all continue.

However, the really interesting thing is there's a text story from Mike Carrol set after Day Of Chaos.

Sedgendary

Cover: A brilliant cover by Chris Weston, the sort of artwork I would love to adorn my wall - *****

Dredd: The start to another good Dredd strip following the life [spoiler]of a junk boy and his run in with a criminal and Dredd [/spoiler]and ending with [spoiler]his opportunity of a lifetime[/spoiler]. And the tag for the next issue being [spoiler]The Suave Assasin[/spoiler] looks like this story will only be getting better - *****

Samizdat Squad: I missed the first couple of parts to this (as this is my first Meg) and so I am still catching up with the story but this is a good part with a lot of action and with the mention of [spoiler]the gods of old[/spoiler] near the end I am interested in where this is headed. - ****

Snapshot:  This reminds me of a few Manga I used to read (both in story and art style) this issue had a lot of story exposition and I'm intrigued to see where it will go from here after finding out [spoiler]that the phone belonged to a hit-man hired by someone doing a stock market scam [/spoiler] - ****

Fiction: A Dredd story by Michael Carroll that is well worth a read from anyone who is reading the current Chaos Day in 2000AD. It follows a cadet shortly after [spoiler] the Academy of Law was destroyed [/spoiler] during his final assessment.  *****

Hondo-City Justice:  This issue gives some background to [spoiler]Project Behemoth[/spoiler] as well as setting up a[spoiler] fight with the Behemoth itself [/spoiler]for next issue - ****

Trout

Um, is this Dredd story aimed at the cross-section of Dredd fans who like Dickens novels, too? If so, that's not me. Nice art, though.

I enjoyed Samzdat Squad but have lost the thread of Snapshot a little. The Hondo City story I found impenetrable. I'll try re-reading the Meg when I'm not so tired.

I, Cosh

Quote from: LARF on 16 June, 2012, 06:34:14 PM
Not read this yet but just wanted to say what an amazing cover by Chris Weston, fabulously painted, and beautifully proportioned Homage to Akira. Fab!
Bah. This is just a step up from Batson. What's next? "Haven't had time to read my Prog yet but just thought I'd say what a fantastic address it had on the envelope."

Surprisingly half-decent Dredd from Robbie Morrison. Takes his usual approach of focusing entirely on the perp/cits but does so with a more palatable strain of comedy rather than the usual schmaltzy crack orphan stuff. Dave Taylor's art is also interestingly different from anything I've seen from him before. Looks almost like it's done in coloured pencil and quite lovely.

None of the other strips really doing it for me. Snapshot will hopefully work better in a oner but, for the moment, the twists in the plot seem contrived rather than ingenious.
We never really die.

Batman's Superior Cousin

I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

LARF

Quote from: The Cosh on 16 June, 2012, 10:42:57 PM
Quote from: LARF on 16 June, 2012, 06:34:14 PM
Bah. This is just a step up from Batson. What's next? "Haven't had time to read my Prog yet but just thought I'd say what a fantastic address it had on the envelope."

You know what, I don't know why I fucking bother these days. Why should i post a genuine enthusiastic comment and start a thread if some knob sack's going to come along and just make pathetic comments?

I've been on this forum for years, and gradually as life's got hectic I occasionally post if something genuinely takes my interest, I have enthusiasm for something, or feel strongly enough to comment. Hence I don't fanny-arse around in pissing competitions trying to take the first thread of a review. I love Chris Weston's work and for two minutes yesterday I really wanted to post how much I liked this cover, that's all.

Best thread on this forum so far is the 'thread jacking' thread, it's so true.

Trout

Chill, LARF. People, including me, had a problem with thread-grabbing where people started the thread without anything to say. If someone starts a thread, they should have something to say. IMO, you just about edge it there.  :) It is a great cover, and even better on the back of the prog, without the Meg logo.

Let's not have a flame war about it. Cosh's comment, although abrasive, doesn't say anything about this forum in general. Also, I've met him and he's a good lad.

BSC: if you think someone is bullying on this forum, please report it to the mods. I would.

- Trout

JOE SOAP

I think Cosh was merely ribbing.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Batman's Superior Cousin on 17 June, 2012, 12:13:54 AM
Cosh:  You bully!!! :(
Eh? I don't understand this. I was having a go at him rather than you. A few weeks ago everybody went mental at you for starting threads without reading the Prog. This week Larf did much the same and I didn't think it would be very fair if he didn't get a bit of the same stick (plus I like making sarky comments.) Nor was I the first to do so.

I was going to reply to you Larf, but Trout has covered the salient points without being needlessly sarcastic and offensive.

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 17 June, 2012, 12:25:54 PM
I think Cosh was merely ribbing.
Correct.
We never really die.

Buttonman

Can we get on with the important stuff and advise if there are any letters? Paisley gala day seemingly sufficent reason for the postman to not bother with deliveries it would seem.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Buttonman on 17 June, 2012, 12:58:04 PM
Can we get on with the important stuff and advise if there are any letters? Paisley gala day seemingly sufficent reason for the postman to not bother with deliveries it would seem.
It's an all-Colonial special. Goggans takes a pop at both Ezquerra & Holden. I didn't recognise the other two.

Could be an opportunity to explore the rich history of correspondence from the Commonwealth and beyond.
We never really die.

Batman's Superior Cousin

Chill guys,  I meant the word in a light-hearted way. Apologises for the confusion but not for the sad face (not really)!!!
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

LARF

Sorry folks, next time I like something I'll curb my enthusiasm and wait until someone's had more of a say first before having an opinion. I understand what both you, Trout and Cosh, are saying here but where else was I supposed to drop a quick mention on what a amazing cover other than the Meg review thread?

As for me 'edging' in there, I didn't have time to write a full review, I hardly have time to read the Meg in one go, gone are the days of lighing in bed on a Saturday morning and reading both Meg and Prog cover to cover.

I think it's only fair seeing as I started the thread I supply a review and I'll do it later, after I've read the Chris Weston article and Mike's story.

Apologies for the earlier language and the acidic reaction to Cosh's comment.