Main Menu

Sláine: The Horned God to get collector's edition in 2020

Started by IndigoPrime, 15 October, 2019, 11:32:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

Rediscover one of the most influential graphic novels ever, with the Sláine: The Horned God - Collector's Edition.

Timed to coincide with the 30th anniversary of its first publication, this new, larger edition of the best-selling 2000 AD collection, written by industry visionary Pat Mills, features the groundbreaking fully-painted art of comics legend Simon Bisley.

Slaine: The Horned God – Collector's Edition is a 208-page 210 x 276mm paperback collection, retailing at £19.99/$24.99 and arriving in stores on May 20, 2020.

One of the most popular stories ever published in the pages of 2000 AD, The Horned God is a heady mix of Celtic mythology, extreme violence, and beautiful artwork. Originally published in 2000 AD in three instalments between 1989 and 1990, as well as Mills' fascinating characters and saga-like storytelling, the stunning enormity of Bisley's work on the series cannot be understated, with epic battles and vast landscapes evoking everything from the work of Frank Frazetta to Gustav Klimt.

The Horned God sparked a revolution in sequential comic books and spawned a multitude of imitators, but even after three decades Mills and Bisley's masterpiece is as fresh and startling as it was when it was first published as a weekly serial.

Created by Mills and artist Angie Kincaid in 1983, Sláine is a wandering warrior cast out from his tribe and wandering the mist-wreathed realm of Tír na nÓg, the 'Land of the Young', with his duplicitous dwarf, Ukko. This deluxe collector's edition returns us to this ancient land, suffering under the dominion of the Drunes; strange druids who have poisoned the land with their magic. Sláine has had enough of their tyranny and, through the Earth Goddess, he learns some shocking truths about the priesthood and his own future. Now Sláine must unite the four kings of Tír na nÓg and use their mystical weapons as he and the Sessair tribe prepare for all-out war!

Pat Mills' writing and editorial career started in Dundee, working for D.C. Thomson on the teenage romance magazine Romeo. Later he went freelance and started a long relationship with IPC Magazines, initially writing for girl's titles like Tammy, Pink and Sandy. He then worked with Malcolm Shaw on devising Jinty before moving over to rejuvenate boy's comics. He created Battle (with John Wagner), Action, Misty and 2000 AD. Other notable works include Marshal Law, Third World War in Crisis, and Requiem Vampire Knight.

Simon Bisley occupies an almost unique place in 2000 AD history as one of the first UK artists to popularise the fully painted style. His highly dynamic artwork made his two major series in the Galaxy's Greatest Comic — A.B.C. Warriors: The Black Hole and Sláine: The Horned God. He also illustrated Heavy Metal Dredd before going on to paint the hugely successful first Batman/Judge Dredd crossover story Judgement on Gotham. Bisley has provided countless pin-ups and short pieces across an astonishing variety of comics, from legendary fantasy anthology Heavy Metal to anarchic DC superhero series Lobo, and has an even more extensive CV in Europe, where his painted style enjoys enormous success.

karlos

TordelBack

Yeah, ack indeed. Golden opportunity for a definitive edition, but with so many versions out there it needs to be HB.

Southstreeter

Woolly

If this was new scans from the original artwork I'd be in, but another (slightly larger) reprint of the old stock I can do without.

Magnetica

I'm out.

I've got the Progs, the three part Titan collection and the Hachette volume.

I really don't need to get it again.

Dandontdare

I really think we must be reaching saturation point with some of these re-releases. The pool of potential customers who are even aware of something like Slaine is relatively small, and when you factor in the fact that most of them probably own at least one version already, there can't be much of a market out there.

IndigoPrime

I guess there are always new buyers; moreover, Horned God looks like it's currently out of print from Rebellion itself, so they may as well do a new one. (I also forgot there was a hardback in 2009.)

iutley

Let's just hope that Pat gets what he thinks he's due with this version. Otherwise I'm sure he won't be slow in letting everyone know if he's not happy. Again!  ;)

Frank

Quote from: Dandontdare on 16 October, 2019, 11:16:55 AM
I really think we must be reaching saturation point with some of these re-releases. The pool of potential customers who are even aware of something like Slaine is relatively small, and when you factor in the fact that most of them probably own at least one version already, there can't be much of a market out there.

Mills said his royalty statement showed Tharg pocketing £2587.30 from Hachette's Horned God.

Whether you assume Tharg was on 10, 50 or 90 percent from Hachette, that's only a few thousand sales for a two quid book that was advertised on telly and available in more newsagents and comic shops than 2000ad.

A few thousand sales of Tharg's own version (at 20 quid) wouldn't be nothing, but you have to assume it's going to sell significantly less*

* Since I quoted figures provided by 2000ad's bridge-burning founding genius, he'd want me to point out that he and the Biz are on 5% each from reprints - so, depending on which of the assumptions above are correct, the cheque El Posthombre drops off at Casa Gaffer could be a few hundred quid or even less than the Hachette payday

karlos

I wonder just how many sales of this will be the old faithful, who snap up every new version, and how many are new fans, just finding it? I have a feeling it's mostly the former.

Many other perennial classics must be the same – how many versions of Watchmen has there been?

Steve Green

You might get some who want to replace their old Fleetway editions - I've replaced Watchmen once just because the old one got tatty.

A good few people on facebook pages are of the same opinion as me, hardback or will skip it.

I have the smaller hardback and the old Fleetway large softbacks, so don't really feel the urge to splash out again.

Same applies to most of the often reprinted ones - hardback original (or close to) size, or I'm not interested.

dweezil2

Quote from: Steve Green on 16 October, 2019, 03:11:57 PM
You might get some who want to replace their old Fleetway editions - I've replaced Watchmen once just because the old one got tatty.

A good few people on facebook pages are of the same opinion as me, hardback or will skip it.

I have the smaller hardback and the old Fleetway large softbacks, so don't really feel the urge to splash out again.

Same applies to most of the often reprinted ones - hardback original (or close to) size, or I'm not interested.

The lack of hardback seems a rather baffling decision!  :o
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Mattofthespurs

Not for me too. Special HB signed by Mills and I'm probably onboard but considering I have at least four versions of this, one in HB, then count me out too.

The Strontium Dog early volume is lush though.

james newell

Quote from: dweezil2 on 16 October, 2019, 03:14:40 PM
Quote from: Steve Green on 16 October, 2019, 03:11:57 PM

the old fleetway edition is the only edition I have seen reproduced from the original plates (or transparencies which might be long lost), even the collected edition had missing plates that had be replaced with copying the printed version.

If the original transparencies are not available the only alternative is to scan the printed version (and descreen, losing quality) or rescan the original artwork.

The smaller size of the last horned god volumes  benefited the descreening process, the loss of quality would not be as noticeable, now that it is nearly back to its original size, it will be interesting to compare with  the fleetway volumes.

The origional art is out there some where, but it would be a massive undertaking to get permissions and scan the lot.

I live in hope that one day there might be an artist edition from the original art at the art size, even if it was not complete it would still be amazing!(and then the black hole mission artist edition).