Main Menu

Space Spinner 2000AD

Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: sheridan on 30 March, 2020, 08:18:13 AM
Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 30 March, 2020, 05:15:55 AM
That's an excellent point! I definitely see what you're saying, honestly I'm not sure where I'd start getting a new reader up to speed besides a Fox style "Here's prog 1, lets get slogging!" But as we'll see in episode 199, I might have to develop more streamlined techniques ;)

My guess is you have an alternate world version of Fox to start on the Judge Dredd Megazine (or was it Judge Dredd The Megazine back in the first Megs?)

Indeed it's "Judge Dredd The Megazine" until issue 50 of volume 2 (so issue 70 overall)! And hopefully for our megazine coverage we'll be able to keep the space-time continuum intact. Now this WEDNESDAY on the other hand...
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

Dandontdare

Err, that wasn't Judge TIM Currie in prog 620, but former conservative government minister Edwina Currie - her career was derailed by the salmonella-in-eggs scandal, but she is now more famous for having revealed that she'd been secretly shagging PM John Major.

WhizzBang

I am really enjoying Hilary Robinson's work (having never seen it before) and Medivac 318 looks like another good one. Is there any story behind why she only stayed a year or two? Were her strips popular with readers at the time? This is uncharted territory for me with the exception of the stuff I have read in trades like the Çase Files.

Leigh S

I'm with Fox Block when it comes to Feral (and it seems Conrad Block too!) - the idea that he might hate Alpha as a sellout could work, but it isnt explained as such. That said, I think if you dug back into other Stront tales there would be a number of times that Alpha's War Hero status gets brushed aside - but THAT said, it's glaring here because Feral is monologuing his internals, but not really touching on some of the key points that seem salient to the very situation they are in.   

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: WhizzBang on 31 March, 2020, 07:01:40 PM
I am really enjoying Hilary Robinson's work (having never seen it before) and Medivac 318 looks like another good one. Is there any story behind why she only stayed a year or two? Were her strips popular with readers at the time? This is uncharted territory for me with the exception of the stuff I have read in trades like the Çase Files.

I'm enjoying Robinson as well, her work has a light heartedness that I really enjoy (even Medivac has some fun spots among the darkness!)

My understanding is that her work was divisive at the time, and continues to be to this day. They're relatively non-violent (at least in comparison to the ramping up of violence we're seeing in the prog here in the late 80s) but the real nail in her coffin was that she retained the rights to Medivac 318 (and Zippy Couriers). When Editorial tried to take that story from her and have another writer work on it she asserted her rights and won, but that basically ended her relationship with 2000AD. It stayed pretty acrimonious since then, she got specifically called out and destroyed by Mek-Quake in the 25th anniversary issue (which looks pretty anti-2000AD history, I must say). But it seems things have been patched up a bit, she had a pretty friendly interview in the Megazine in 2014 (#346) where she seemed pretty sanguine about the whole situation.

Quote from: Leigh S on 31 March, 2020, 07:54:23 PM
I'm with Fox Block when it comes to Feral (and it seems Conrad Block too!) - the idea that he might hate Alpha as a sellout could work, but it isnt explained as such. That said, I think if you dug back into other Stront tales there would be a number of times that Alpha's War Hero status gets brushed aside - but THAT said, it's glaring here because Feral is monologuing his internals, but not really touching on some of the key points that seem salient to the very situation they are in.   

I think a lot of that can be blamed on Feral's youth and callow nature. He doesn't care about war stories from 20 years ago and all that, just like kids at the time might be tired of their dad's stories about The War. Plus while we know Johnny is a hero of the war, I think his public image might be tinged by his relation to Kreelman. Remember during the war he was accused of letting him escape during the assault on Upminster!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

Leigh S

Callow youth, for sure!

But even by this time, Alpha's parentage is still a secret - see the end of "Outlaw" where Kreelman is about to blab but the stronts gun him down before he can reveal it.

Even if you thought the Mutant Generals let them down (which is fair - they didnt win a great life for the Mutants, just  life, then pissed off) that should ahve been explicit in the text - it would have made Feral feel a bit more considered rather than just a whiney teen dude

SpaceSpinner2000

On this April Fool's Day Fox and Conrad have fallen through a time portal! They find themselves once again at the start of their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 1 to 5 of 2000AD, covering February and March of 1977. This episode we discuss the dawn of thrill power, and a bit about British comics in general and 2000AD in particular.

Please send us snacks in the past!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Spotify
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!

WhizzBang

This is wonderful - thank you Conrad and Fox for this unexpected treat.

Echidna

That was a really fun listen and made a very stressful day at work pass a little quicker. Thanks guys, and stay safe!

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: WhizzBang on 01 April, 2020, 07:39:54 PM
This is wonderful - thank you Conrad and Fox for this unexpected treat.
Quote from: Echidna on 05 April, 2020, 11:29:23 AM
That was a really fun listen and made a very stressful day at work pass a little quicker. Thanks guys, and stay safe!

Happy to be of service!

It's Crime Time! Also it's the twenty-eighth in our series of Space Spinner 2000 collections! These collections have all of our coverage for a specific character or storyline, all in one place. They're a great accompaniment to reading collected versions of 2000AD, or to just hear your favorite thrill all in one place.

The Stainless Steel Rat! I'm not sure how Tharg got the idea to adapt some short, fun, sci fi novels into comics, but it very much works! The Stainless Steel Rat is a story of crime and adventure in the far future, starring the smoothest criminal of them all, James Bolivar diGriz. He always has an answer to everything, at least until he gets drafted into the Special Corps and starts having to take down criminals instead of doing crimes himself (kinda, he does do plenty of crimes while taking out criminals). Add in a lovely wife and eventually teenaged sons, plus a dash of time travel and/or political intrigue and you've got a perfect stew of thrill power! I read the books when I was a kid, though I only have a slight memory of them. These days I can't think of reading without imagining diGriz as Ezquerra's James Coburn look-alike!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Spotify

sheridan

So great to have it all in one place - thanks for taking the time to stitch the patchwork together!

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: sheridan on 07 April, 2020, 12:46:21 PM
So great to have it all in one place - thanks for taking the time to stitch the patchwork together!

Thanks! Despite not having a lot of new content the collection episodes are actually pretty time consuming to put together!

In our thrilling hundred and ninety-ninth episode we continue our journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with the 1989 Judge Dredd Mega-Special. It's the second Judge Dredd Mega-Special, with all new stories by newer Dredd artists and a lot of background information about Dredd and his world.

This episode Conrad is joined by Eli, indie comic maker and future host of our Judge Dredd Megazine spin-off Big Meg One! Look for more info on Big Meg Meg over the coming months, and check out Eli's comics as Slim Stories on Facebook and on Webtoons.com!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Spotify

Also, we're only two weeks away from our 200th episode! If you'd like to send well-wishes we'll happily ready them on the show!

sheridan

Listening to it right now (having gotten 'up-to-date' on the archive podcasts from January 2018 now I've written my own blog posts from 1982).

Anyway - really looking forward to the prog and meg era of Space Spinner 2000 / Big Meg One podcasts!

Leigh S

I'm going to guess Kev Walker was painting with Citadel paints!

Andy B

Good show - listening to you two talking about that Special was a lot more entertaining than reading it!

Looking forward to the spin-off: Eli seems like an inspired choice to talk about Kenny Who?