Main Menu

Judge Dredd: Lawman Of The Future

Started by ChickenStu, 11 April, 2013, 03:47:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChickenStu

We're currently spring cleaning the house and I found an interesting little curiosity. Issue One of a magazine called Judge Dredd: Lawman Of The Future. It was published in 1995, the same year that the Stallone movie came out. Dredd's costume was drawn to look like Stallone's from the movie, and I think the comic was supposed to be an ongoing title. I don't know if any more editions were published after this. Sadly, I've lost the trading card that was given with the title as a free gift.

Anyone got info on this?
Ma Ma's not the law... (you know the rest)

W. R. Logan

JUDGE DREDD LAWMAN OF THE FUTURE
23 issues between 28th July, 1995 - 31st May, 1996

http://www.2000ad.org/?zone=prog&page=specials&choice=lotf01

James Stacey

It was a watered down kids version of Dredd that ran for 20 odd episodes. It had its own continuity / timeline and had some nice art from Dyl and a few others but was mostly gash iirc.

ChickenStu

Why did it get cancelled? Cause word got out that the film was shite?

COMMANDO FORCES

IndigoPrime

Quote from: ChickenStu on 11 April, 2013, 03:58:32 PM
Why did it get cancelled? Cause word got out that the film was shite?
The film had been out for almost a year by the time the comic was canned. I imagine there was in part a disconnect (a comic aimed at kids for a movie with a rating that meant they wouldn't have been able to watch it) combined with the typical diminishing returns you get over time from a licensed property. Most don't last that long, and LOTF lasted 23 issues, which isn't too bad.

I read the set through once and I didn't think they were too bad. The strip is somewhat reminiscent of old Dredd, although the comic's law is watered down a little regarding things like lethal force. It also had Geoff Senior on art duties now and again, who's someone I'd love to see back in the Prog one day.

ChickenStu

Hmmm. Any chance it'll get republished like the Complete Case Files volumes do you think?

IndigoPrime

I very much doubt it. It could be a candidate for the Meg floppy, if material people want to see runs out. I'd sooner see the Daily Star Dredds collected first though (and in trade format, not in the floppies).

COMMANDO FORCES

I enjoyed it, some great art and some clever stories and an excellent Judge Death variation!

Hawkmumbler

Any pics of the Judge Death variant? Colour me curious.

ChickenStu

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 11 April, 2013, 06:19:46 PM

Stallone wanted to do a sequel with him...

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: ChickenStu on 11 April, 2013, 06:23:07 PM
Quote from: Hawkmonger on 11 April, 2013, 06:19:46 PM

Stallone wanted to do a sequel with him...
I bet my arse he did!  :lol:

W. R. Logan

COMMANDO FORCES

Here's a cover of him and if I remember correctly they made him out to be Joe from an alternate dimension

Hawkmumbler

Not a bad design. But that backstory suuuucks! :lol: