Main Menu

Leading the Rebellion - coming August 2022

Started by Dash Decent, 07 September, 2021, 02:12:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dash Decent

Leading the Rebellion: Questing to Succeed in Work and Life by Jason Kingsley & Boris Starling - Hardback, 320 pages, 4th August 2022.

In Leading the Rebellion: Questing to Succeed in Work and Life tech CEO, pop-culture entrepreneur and YouTube sensation Jason Kingsley reveals how he uses The Code of Chivalry as a guide to work, life and happiness. This unique business and lifestyle book will allow the reader to delve into the personal and work philosophies of a self-made millionaire.

A fascinating look into the business and lifestyle philosophy of Jason Kingsley OBE, CEO of Rebellion. Rebellion is one of the world's most successful independent games developers and also a film and TV production company and publisher. Combining his love of Medieval History and success in business, this unique book will give insight into a modern interpretation of the Knightly Code of Chivalry, in a motivational and aspirational take on how to live life to the fullest.

Each chapter will focus on one main chivalric theme, and how it has influenced his philosophy, helped equip him with personal tools to succeed, and how it has maximised his work-life balance. The book will also provide insight into his love for the medieval period and how this complements his professional life.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

CalHab

Well that sounds bonkers.

For my part, I always write my spreadsheets with honour. However, I do have a meeting with HR next week for  practising courtly love in the staff canteen.

leethomson

Is that the fella from Modern History TV? I had no idea there was a connection to 2000AD!

IndigoPrime

It's his YouTube channel. And he co-founded Rebellion. Without him, 2000 AD would almost certainly be long dead by now—and most of British comics history would have been consigned to oblivion or with companies less inclined to put in the same kind of effort as Rebellion in restoring classics.

Richard

sheridan

For those who don't know - the reference to British comics history being consigned to oblivion is probably exemplified by the Egmont purchase of IPC / Fleetway / Maxwell in order to acquire the Disney licence.  The century of British comics history could have been left to fester as far as they were concerned.  And was, until Rebellion bought it (non-Disney) back catalogue off of them and others.

IndigoPrime

Yep. Rebellion buying 2000 AD and related properties was, in itself, a big deal. We've heard plenty of times that the plan was to just run it down, and kill the publication the second it ceased to be profitable. But beyond that, Rebellion bought the Egmont archive in 2016 and then TI Media's in 2018. The result is an absurdly large collection that covers a massive amount of British comics history. Even DC Thompson doesn't come close—and DC Thomson doesn't care much about its back catalogue.

I'd heard rumours about other companies being interested in both of those major deals—one being Titan, which just makes be shudder. With Rebellion owning these old comics, they've a chance to shine again. Moreover, Rebellion is keen on commissioning new things rather than just punting out reprint. (And when reprint is done, it is restored rather than just scanned and churned.)

In short, Kingsley is heavily responsible for the bulk of British comics history being in a great place, with an owner who cares about such things. And the same goes for 2000 AD.

It's also funny to think how cynical many of us were at the time about the Rebellion deal—even though it was clearly the best option. So many assumed "video game people" were swooping in to eat the IP and not give a crap about the publications. We couldn't have been more wrong.

wedgeski

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 08 September, 2021, 10:54:56 AM
It's also funny to think how cynical many of us were at the time about the Rebellion deal—even though it was clearly the best option. So many assumed "video game people" were swooping in to eat the IP and not give a crap about the publications. We couldn't have been more wrong.
Guilty as charged. I wasn't collecting 2000AD at the time but I do remember hoping that we might get a decent Dredd game out of it.

sheridan

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 08 September, 2021, 10:54:56 AM

I was certainly one of those.  Though in mitigation, there was a computer game tie-in around the time the computer game company got involved in 2000AD, which certainly seemed ominous at the time.  I had a quick look around Barney and can't figure out when / what the computer game in question was, so apologies if my timeline is mixed up...

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: sheridan on 08 September, 2021, 12:17:29 PM
I had a quick look around Barney and can't figure out when / what the computer game in question was, so apologies if my timeline is mixed up...

It was Wardog, and ironically enough the computer game was never released.
@jamesfeistdraws

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 08 September, 2021, 12:53:28 PM
It was Wardog, and ironically enough the computer game was never released.

If memory serves, that was in the Meg, wasn't it? There was also the Urban Strike strip, based on the game of the same name, which was in 2000AD proper, but pre-dated the Rebellion take-over.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

The Amstor Computer

Yeah, Wardog was in the Meg and I'm pretty sure I was one of quite a few here at the time who were groaning at it - it seemed to herald an era of game tie-ins and the slow decline of the prog and Meg, but instead it was at the beginning of a bit of a fresh golden era for both. IIRC, Wardog appeared around the time Alan Barnes was driving the Meg forward and during Diggle's tenure on the prog (or around the time Matt Smith took over?) and it now looks more like a tiny, quirky blip in an otherwise great run for the comics.

sheridan

Now I have names - Urban Strike appeared in the prog in 1995 and Wardog in the Meg in 2001.  I'm not diametrically opposed to limited numbers of game (or film) tie-ins, but glad the prog-meg didn't go that way.

IndigoPrime

There was a more recent one with zombies as well, which I found rather forgettable. But even if there was a Rebellion strip in every issue, that beats no 2000 AD/Meg at all.

wedgeski

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 08 September, 2021, 01:25:05 PM
There was a more recent one with zombies as well, which I found rather forgettable. But even if there was a Rebellion strip in every issue, that beats no 2000 AD/Meg at all.
Agreed.