Main Menu

Dredd vs Zombies on iPhone/iPad

Started by pauljholden, 01 December, 2011, 03:11:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

Got this too - surprisingly pretty good, though obviously a bit limited, what with it being a 69p iPhone game.

It does feel like a generic zombie shooter with Dredd graphics pasted on top, though.

QuoteReminds me of an old pc game... cant think of the name but Bisley did the concept art for it.

Loaded? If so think that was Greg Staples art.

Beeks

Did I imagine it or is there a Judge Dredd 'fighting fantasy' type app coming out soon?
"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

Emperor

For those of us wondering what all the fuss is about, there is a lengthy game play video here, probably contains spoilers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJ1rlN74Alk
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Link Prime

I always hated the fact that 2000AD didn't have more games based on its characters, and at that the ones that were released were generally tosh (apart from that Rogue Trooper one for the Wii a few years back).
This is great fun, and at €0.79 you couldn't afford not to buy it!
This kinda stuff is exactly what we need- cheap, accessible nuggets that will get more people interested in 2000AD...

Dash Decent

Interesting eagle pad (at least going by the trailer) - it seems to be tilted up so that it looks more like the other shoulder pad.

It would've been good if they could have got Toby Longworth to voice Dredd again.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Devons Daddy

WOW thanks Tharg,  :P
an Ipad APP game, this is truly the correct direction.

big thumbs up and itunes money to you. for this.(I take it you have to pay for it?)have not checked will download later today.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Goaty

ming

Picked this up last night after seeing PJs post (thanks PJ!); good fun - more 2K apps would be gratefully received!  Rogue?  Strontium Dog?  Chronos Carnival?  You make it, I'll buy it.

:)

Steve Green

I can't really get on with the virtual joystick games on tablets, and I wish Apple hadn't set the standard for games at such a low price, less than the cost of a cheapy Mastertronic game from 30 years is frankly, fucking stupid.

Good luck to them though.

radiator

Yeah, someone really needs to make   a widely-supported snap-on joypad for the iPhone. I've died twice playing Dredd because of the ham-fisted control method letting me down. I've got Doom on the iPhone too, but the controls are just a fraction too fiddly for it to be truly fun.

I disagree with your point about cheap games, though. Price doesn't necessarily reflect quality, just look at something like Infinity Blade. It's just a different pricing model - most iOS games seek to make they're money back through in-game transactions.

Steve Green

I just don't think the business model is sustainable for a lot of games, you'll get the big-hitters but an over reliance on IAP is a mistake IMHO.

There's obviously some kinds of games it works for, but I don't know if something like the Dredd game is one of them, and if the player will get bored of the game mechanic before they feel the need to shell out more on it.

I'm just trying to think how many copies they need to sell to break even at 69p after Apple's cut.

Pyroxian

Quote from: Steve Green on 02 December, 2011, 10:54:31 AM
I can't really get on with the virtual joystick games on tablets, and I wish Apple hadn't set the standard for games at such a low price, less than the cost of a cheapy Mastertronic game from 30 years is frankly, fucking stupid.

It takes about the same amount of dev time though (3-6 months), and there's about 10 times as many iPhones out there as there were speccys/c64s. Plus of course, there's the option of in-game purchases, which you couldn't do in the 8-bit days :D

Also at 69p, it becomes much more of an impulse buy - if they were £2.99 or more, people would think twice before trying it out...

radiator

I expect the market is much like the traditional retail boxed game (not to mention film, TV and music) - hundreds of failures, but a big hit can be so overwhelmingly lucrative it makes it all worthwhile.

I honestly don't know how anything gets off the ground in such a high risk industry.

LARF

Spoiler: [spoiler]Awesome exploding Fatty Zombies![/spoiler]

Bolt-01