Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

Quote from: Dandontdare on 05 June, 2018, 09:19:49 PMjokes are supposed to be funny, libturd. Why do hate freedom, you butthurt snowflake?

Blocked and reported for violating my safe space.  Have fun being no-platformed, Nazi.

JayzusB.Christ

Both Trump and Kim have just done something good and positive.  The news is broken today
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Professor Bear

Kim Jung has seen that someone like Trump can head a first world country and suddenly decides the DPRK can fit in?  Are we entirely sure this is good news?

The Legendary Shark

They're both collectivists at core. Their only point of disagreement is how the collective must be ruled.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

von Boom

Same thing happened with Hitler and Stalin. Look how well that turned out.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Professor Bear on 12 June, 2018, 11:26:49 AM
Kim Jung has seen that someone like Trump can head a first world country and suddenly decides the DPRK can fit in?  Are we entirely sure this is good news?

At the risk of quoting my least favourite comic character Jesse Custer: Point.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Hey Folks, remember me?

SO

Right, the royals. I get they bring in more money than my tax. I just watched a report where Liz and Meg did a meet and greet with the public. Again, I see the financial benefits of the English monarchy, but...

People were genuflecting and generally showing subserviance to Lizzie Windsor, and newly annointed Meg. This is what I struggle with. How? How can you act inferior to these people. Obviously no one here does, but maybe ye could offer insight?
You may quote me on that.

The Legendary Shark

A lifetime of propaganda and indoctrination.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Mister Pops on 14 June, 2018, 10:31:41 PM

People were genuflecting and generally showing subserviance to Lizzie Windsor, and newly annointed Meg. This is what I struggle with. How? How can you act inferior to these people. Obviously no one here does, but maybe ye could offer insight?

Never understood it either.  I realise I don't live in a monarchy and am a bit removed from it, but it's very hard to get my head around the idea that people think that other people are superior because of an accident of birth.

Nothing against any of the Windsors personally, but what exactly have they achieved to make people bow or genuflect to them like that?

maryanddavid

I have no idea, but in general Michael D is held in affection here, the role of the President in Ireland is similar in some respects to the Monarchy.
I think he  represents what I would like to think is  good about the people and country. I realise that's very general and I may not be making the point well, but if I want someone to represent this side of the island on the world stage, he is the man.
Maybe its the same for a lot of Folk with the Royal Family?

Then again the class thing may be a bit different, I met Michael D one night in Galway, Tommy Tiernan said there is no famous people in Ireland, just a few that are well known.

JayzusB.Christ

I've met him too, he's a gentleman and a scholar. There are major differences there, though, between him and the royals - first of all he was elected, and secondly nobody acts like a fawning serf when he's around.

I

I, Cosh

Quote from: Mister Pops on 14 June, 2018, 10:31:41 PM
Right, the royals. I get they bring in more money than my tax. I just watched a report where Liz and Meg did a meet and greet with the public. Again, I see the financial benefits of the English monarchy, but...
Tourism revenue is no basis for a system of government. In any case, the French got rid of their royal family 200 years ago and people still pay to visit Versailles.

Can't really answer your question as I find it equally bewildering. For a long time I assumed it was a generational thing and nobody my age or younger wanted anything to do with them. Was quite shocked to discover English friends excited about Jubilee street parties.
We never really die.

TordelBack

Back when Miggeldy was a mere Minister for Arts, Heritage, Environment, the Gaeltacht, the Islands, and Any Other Shite We Just Pretend To Care About, he used to do a lot of book launches, conferences and openings of things, and those of us who had to attend such things learned to dread the unfolding of the little piece of paper that heralded that he had Prepared a Poem for the Occasion.  However, bloke (or his lackeys at least) had inevitably done his homework, knew what he was supposed to be talking about and to whom, and was often good for a chat over a slightly stale vol-au-vent after.  These points alone put him ahead of almost all his predecessors and successors (Sile DeValera was okay too), but at the end of the day he was just a rather verbose little man standing between me and the rapidly depleting wine table.

I'd accord him plenty of respect, 'cos he does a good job, and in doing so manages to embody a lot of what I hope my country could represent. I imagine Lizzy fills a similar role, and while it seems bizarre that her wealth and status derives from an accident of birth rather than graft, wit or erudition, the same could be said of a great many people who occupy important positions.  Maybe it's just that the illusion of worth through merit can't be sustained in her case.

I, Cosh

Birthright doesn't absolutely preclude someone from being the best to fill a given role but it does make the chances of their being so vanishingly small. It also perpetuates the myth of innate superiority and hierarchy which should be resisted at all times.
We never really die.

TordelBack

Quote from: I, Cosh on 15 June, 2018, 07:46:22 AMIt also perpetuates the myth of innate superiority and hierarchy which should be resisted at all times.

That's the nub of it alright.