Main Menu

You have 15 minutes to draw Dredd's head

Started by brendan1, 09 March, 2009, 10:15:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brendan1

Side-on or facing, whatever, from memory, no referencing.

If you look at it and be honest, whose style are you biting?

I did it over the weekend, and I was very surprised to see that I appeared to be channeling Brendan McCarthy (coincidence regarding christain names, I'm sure) from c 1984, just before the wok-helmet got too absurd.

So I'm McCarthy. Who are you?

BPP

i think evidence should be submitted so the board can decide if you are more Shakey Kane than McCarthy the Master.  :D
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

brendan1

Quote from: "BPP"i think evidence should be submitted so the board can decide if you are more Shakey Kane than McCarthy the Master.  :D

Heh

Well, it *was* rather rushed......

Actually, I'd be happy to, but I'm afraid the dark scanning arts etc are somewhat beyond my mortal ken.

Colin YNWA

Brett Ewins on an off day.

I've done an Ewins Dredd since I got a sketch of Skeemer from him at UKCAC years ago and learnt how to draw that THEN just added a helmet and bit of chin work and you had yourself a nice little Dredd sketch.

LARF

14 minutes 34 seconds, Wacom tablet, Pshop, sore fingers, quite rushed...

johnnystress

I used to copy Bolland , Ezquerra and Ewins Dredds as a nipper

It was some time before I figured out that the white circles on the helmet were light reflections

brendan1

Quote from: "LARF"14 minutes 34 seconds, Wacom tablet, Pshop, sore fingers, quite rushed...

Yay!

Lovely. Er, I dunno what to say about this. The eye bit of the helmet is actually very, very early Ezquerra/ McMahon isn't it?

I always thought it was more pracical than the later "slittier" iterations, from a pure practicality POV.

Nicely Old school.

brendan1

Quote from: "johnnystress"

I used to copy Bolland , Ezquerra and Ewins Dredds as a nipper

It was some time before I figured out that the white circles on the helmet were light reflections

Nice chin!

Don't know who this reminds me of. Maybe you're  a bit more original than I am.

And it would deffo take me a LOT longer than 15 minutes on a coputer, as opposed to a graphite pencil on white paper.

I might give it a bash later....

Wils

Bah! All the years I've had a tablet and I *still* can't draw with the bastard thing.

Rushed like a madman in Photoshop. About 14 mins.

WoD

House of Usher

Quote from: "Wils"Rushed like a madman in Photoshop. About 14 mins.
So that's how they do it when they put the weekly together!
STRIKE !!!

brendan1

Quote from: "Wils"Bah! All the years I've had a tablet and I *still* can't draw with the bastard thing.

That has a sort of Peter Doherty feel to it....

Kev Levell

Fab little challenge. I'd normally not take part in these sorts of 'board' drawing activities, but this was just the right kind of warm-up task to get the creative juices flowing! No idea whose Dredd this is reminiscent of though.

wacom sketch in photoshop.

satchmo

Quote from: "brendan1"
Quote from: "Wils"Bah! All the years I've had a tablet and I *still* can't draw with the bastard thing.

That has a sort of Peter Doherty feel to it....

Just what I was going to say!
Nice one Wils.