Main Menu

General Comics Writing Discussion

Started by Emperor, 08 August, 2009, 11:10:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Emperor on 30 September, 2009, 06:43:27 PM
Dennis O'Neil's guide to writing:
www.bleedingcool.com/2009/09/30/how-to-write-comics-and-graphic-novels-by-dennis-oneil-1-first-class-discipline/

Beat me too it. I thought this was a great article and if you're going to listen to anyone about this it might was well be a class act like Denny O'Neil... now to follow his advice!

Emperor

Quote from: Krombasher on 30 September, 2009, 06:50:17 PM
I want to start creative writing again. But I am well rusty and the inner voice a mere hoarse whisper.

Is there any pointers on getting back in the saddle and, you know, balking out the basics.

What about rules of scifi?

Short stories for a character you hope to expand upon?

It is always a tricky one as everyone has to discover what works for them. Staring at blank sheets of paper and advice like "you aren't a writer if you aren't writing" isn't very helpful (and is probably the kind of thing writer's say to show off and intimidate the competition - see what Simon Spurrier wrote here).

Personally I follow the Way of the Poo (as explained above):

• Eat - jam in ideas, thoughts, random thoughtfarts/brainguffs, news, blog posts, etc. Keep a notepad and perhaps a notepad document on your computer and jot everything down in there. I find misunderstandings can be useful, like completely getting the wrong end of the stick about what a film and TV show was about - if what you thought it was going to be sounded better then write it down
  • Bake it - give the ideas time to break down, get churned up and sit there stewing in their own juices. You don't have to produce a 22 comic book a month at this stage so there is no need to force it. You can't have a poo if people keep coming around demanding your attention or you are being hassled every minute of the day, so try and set aside a bit of time when you have no distractions.. I find going for a walk on my own is a big help (just don't take your mobile with you)

Do all that and the ideas will be lining up to squeeze themselves out.

A character is a good idea (in this extended metaphor we can think of them as the fibre for a story). As you are sketching them out you are also shaping the fictional world they live in and its history. This should start to present conflicts and motivations based on their past and the way they interact with the world and starts to suggest possible story angles and other characters, which in turn brings in more ideas, sets up setbacks (especially where different characters trying to reach their own goals end up clashing) and before you know it you have a big working world through which your character can progress. You can then skip back or forward a bit and bang out an exciting short story which introduces the character a little and hooks in the reader who wants to know more. Bingo - it is time to take yourslef off to the smallest room (or wherever you keep the computer) and start squeezing out that story.

When you look back on how it all came about the seed for the whole thing might be tiny - a brief aside you make and then think "hold on." It then starts accreting a few other random thoughts you have in your head and then it acquires its own gravitational field and starts dragging in all sorts of bits and bobs. Granted we are now beyond the poo metaphor (unless you are very unlucky) and closer to the formation of pearls, but it does underline why you should keep an ear open for anything of interest as you never know when it could come in handy.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Mike Gloady

If ANYONE would make a poo analogy on this thread, I somehow didn't think it would be you, Emperor.....

Although that does sound rather good.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Emperor

Quote from: Mike Gloady on 30 September, 2009, 11:12:22 PM
If ANYONE would make a poo analogy on this thread, I somehow didn't think it would be you, Emperor.....

Well I;m afraid online communication clearly doesn't allow one to give a proper representation of one's self. So while I am always talking about poo in real life it probable doesn't come across when forced to type rather than blurt (as it gives time for your inner censor to kick in).

Orrrrr it is Graham Linehan's analogy which I found described my "process," when everything else sounded terribly tortured and not a lot of fun. Filling yourself with information, letting it all mix up and then not being able to stop it coming out pretty much summed up everything I've ever done. Luckily I have been able to use my powers for Good or the world would be a Darker Place but there was a time in my late teens/early twenties when it hung in the balance. I am only kicking up Linehan's ball around and seeing what happens (probably a very angry Irishman turns up on my doorstep).

You decide which option you prefer.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Emperor

www.bleedingcool.com/2009/09/30/how-to-write-comics-and-graphic-novels-by-dennis-oneil-1-first-class-discipline/

Part two - more gold:

www.bleedingcool.com/2009/10/07/how-to-write-comics-and-graphic-novels-by-dennis-o%e2%80%99neil-2-%e2%80%93-recommended-reading/

Zarjazzer

That was good Emperor, cheers.

here's one for submissions for more general writing not just comic books.

http://www.duotrope.com/index.aspx

As i'm sure many are aware the credit crunch has hit magazines hard,even Weird Tales and some of the bigger SF/fantasy mags have been affected. So payment for many of these is poor or non-existant. Still it can get you exposure.(oo-er missus)
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Emperor

Quote from: Emperor on 07 October, 2009, 05:52:35 PM

Part two - more gold:

www.bleedingcool.com/2009/10/07/how-to-write-comics-and-graphic-novels-by-dennis-o%e2%80%99neil-2-%e2%80%93-recommended-reading/

Now we are motoring with O'Neil's Industrial Strength Can't Fail Super Homogenized structure for a single-issue superhero story:

www.bleedingcool.com/2009/10/14/how-to-write-comics-and-graphic-novels-by-dennis-o%e2%80%99neil-3-%e2%80%93/

It is probably something most people know but it is good to have it laid out so starkly. If nothng else it gives you the kind of template that the reader also knows so you can mess with it to catch them off guard with some kind of swerve they weren't expecting.

planetmirth

Excellent post Emperor. Definitely food for thought. It reinforces my belief that talented individuals should collaborate to produce a finished product. On this site alone there are lots of aspiring writers who can't necessarily draw/animate and similarly I'm sure there are a lot of talented artists and animators who can't come up with a good story. Makes sense if they got together.
'A computer once beat me in chess... but it was no match for me in kick-boxing!'
Visual Effects Examples

Emperor

Indeed. It is tricky, because it is a lot of time and effort for little financial reward but there are people around who are happy to do it for the love of the medium and to get their work out there.

Also part 4 of Dennis O'Neil's column - this time looking at multi-issue stories:

www.bleedingcool.com/2009/10/21/how-to-write-comics-and-graphic-novels-by-dennis-o%e2%80%99neil-4-%e2%80%93-why-dont-you-grow-a-spine/

locustsofdeath!

Writing for me is mostly a loner's game, but now and then I enjoy writing a script with someone that compliments my style - I'm not prone to humor unless I write with a partner.

And collaborating is so much fun; Uncle Fester and I worked on a short strip together and it turned out brilliant (of course I'm biased).

Mike Gloady

I think the theatre go-ers of your hometown might be biased too.  You don't get a production put on of your script by being a slouch in the writing department....
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Hoagy

Emperor:-

The Way of the Poo.I am in full agreement.

Being on the net only sporadically I am only on O'Neil writng class part 3.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Zarjazzer

Don't know if it's been mentioned but Robert Mckee's "Story" is another book cited by many writers.

it's aimed at screenwriters but still has a lot of useful stuff no matte what you want to write. i just started re-reading it and realise my stuff is pretty feeble.

OW!
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Emperor

There is now one easy link to Denny O'Neill's articles (I was going to say column but I know what you lot are like  ::) ):

www.bleedingcool.com/category/how-to-write-comics-and-graphic-novels/

Emperor

Jason Aaron has dropped in a few notes on his writing technique:

http://jasonaaron.org/blog/2010/02/15/notes-on-craft/

Pretty handy as a 22 comic book can seem intimidating to folks raised on 5 page chunks of story goodness, but no task seems massive once you start breaking it down.