Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tjm86

So is that why Tommy Robinson is so upset about being turfed off of Facebook and Instagram?

I would agree though, for quite a few people, MSM still carries a degree of authority that anti-social media lacks.  Editorial bias has long been seen as the cost of doing business but at least there has always been an acknowledgement that underneath the 'interpretation' there are some facts being interpreted, or selectively presented to create a narrative.  You pays your money, you takes your chances ...

Theblazeuk

Tommy Robinson utterly relies on people who were by and large already buying in to his message. Tommy Robinson wouldn't win a local election, never mind a general one.

Professor Bear

Facebook certainly has an older/receptive user base, but losing IG would be a blow to Robinson's ability to reach younger recruits.  I suppose he still has Youtube.

sheridan

Quote from: Tjm86 on 26 February, 2019, 03:24:07 PM
I would agree though, for quite a few people, MSM still carries a degree of authority that anti-social media lacks.  Editorial bias has long been seen as the cost of doing business but at least there has always been an acknowledgement that underneath the 'interpretation' there are some facts being interpreted, or selectively presented to create a narrative.  You pays your money, you takes your chances ...

Are you saying that some people believe that underneath the biased reporting there's some truth or are you saying there actually is some truth under the rubbish that certain newspapers publish?  I'm thinking of things like Boris Johnson's EU banning bananas story - which was entirely made up by him around 1994 and has absolutely no basis in reality (and is still quoted now, two years after the referendum, by some people who voted to leave).

Funt Solo

What's MSM?  I Googled it and got arthritis medicine: I'm guessing that's not the topic.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Tjm86

Quote from: sheridan on 26 February, 2019, 06:02:15 PM
Are you saying that some people believe that underneath the biased reporting there's some truth or are you saying there actually is some truth under the rubbish that certain newspapers publish?  I'm thinking of things like Boris Johnson's EU banning bananas story ...

A little of both ...  You're right, there are reports out there that are utterly bogus.  There are also biased stories that do contain a germ of truth.  This is half the reason why 'fake news' has gained so much traction.

Quote from: Funt Solo on 26 February, 2019, 06:57:54 PM
What's MSM? 

Main Stream Media.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 26 February, 2019, 04:18:21 PM
Tommy Robinson utterly relies on people who were by and large already buying in to his message. Tommy Robinson wouldn't win a local election, never mind a general one.

I hope you're right.  The fact that the grubby little shitbag already has such a high media profile would concern me a bit.  Even Farage thinks he's too extreme (not that our Nige is any less of a squalid little racist wanker).
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Theblazeuk

Well, a classic example of a man who has a high profile and lots of followers but can't win elections. Other than MEP because sadly, UKIP have always been the only party to not take having members elected to EU parliament for granted.

Professor Bear

Aren't MEPs elected using proportional representation?  FPTP all but ensures UKIP and the like remain unelectable because votes are funneled to the name brand parties (and latterly Team Nandos), but under proportional representation UKIP would be guaranteed a certain number of MPs.

IndigoPrime

Possibly, but not necessarily. There are various PR systems, and although most would make UKIP MPs more likely, there wouldn't be a guarantee. Frankly, though, why shouldn't there be UKIP MPs? Either we want a representative democracy or we don't. If find it baffling that e.g. some Green voters I know would rather stick with one MP (and none if the boundary reforms happen) and FPTP than head for PR and end up with some kippers in the Commons.

In other news, it's been that Costa 'resigned' earlier, for the crime of trying to protect EU citizen rights and the rights of Brits in the EU. The bastard. If only he'd done something sensible like totally fuck up a ferries contract, he'd have been fine.

CalHab

Turnouts for EU elections are dismal, so it's a ripe area for parties on the political extremes to target.

IndigoPrime

But that's a failure of civic education in the UK, not the system itself.

Professor Bear

Nandos political party funded by pro-Israel lobby.  As a big nerd I was aghast at what David Gerrold was doing these days, but thankfully I just need new glasses.

Tjm86

Quote from: Professor Bear on 27 February, 2019, 03:53:27 PM
Nandos political party funded by pro-Israel lobby.  As a big nerd I was aghast at what David Gerrold was doing these days, but thankfully I just need new glasses.

This one is no doubt worth digging into more but ... is Russia the only state interfering with elections?  Are we allowed to talk about the possibility of this state interfering with British democracy?  Do I need a tinfoil hat? 

The Legendary Shark

The way the US is interfering with Venezuela doesn't seem to be bothering many people.

Former UN rapporteur says US sanctions are killing citizens.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]